• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c hawken problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say enough about JB's Bore Paste for removing tough fouling. I would also suggest that next time you are shooting that you swab the barrel with an alcohol dampened patch in between shots. For lubing the Lee REAL bullets I heat up some beeswax & olive oil lube then pour it in a pan with 20 or so REALs up to the last lube ring. When cool I just press a copper tube over each bullet and remove. You may have to adjust the mixture to get it just right but it works great for me.

The only solvent I could find without going to a speciality shop was hoppies solvent that clames to remove lead and copper fouling. I found that after soaking 24hrs the next patch came out very clean. However after several passes with the brass brush the next patch was black with small particles of I assume lead on it. I repeated this for 3-4 days and finally got only a small amount of black on the patch. I dried and oiled the bore and put up till time and weather premit me to get to the farm and try it. My first try will be with prb and different size patches, figger if can get prb to shoot without destroying patches I may be getting somewhere. If that works out and gives me accuracy will then try 250gr reels again. Ill post the results.

Your feet are on a good path, it looks like. If you accumulated a lot of that black over the span of you're cleaning, I'm betting your results will improve in direct proportion.

Let us know!

oiled the bore
Since we are trying to eliminate all the "it could be's," make sure you clean the oil out before firing black-powder. Petroleum oil and BP turns into a sort of tar coating when fired. An swab with rubbing alcohol then dry patch should do it.
Again "it could be" the problem all along and that's the black spots you were scrubbing out.

Thanks for the input. I always clean out the oil with achoael patch and snap a cap or two befor shooting.

Back