• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c hawken shoots high

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
All right I pulled out my old percussion .50 t/c hawken for the 1st time in 8 or 9 years and tried to sight her in. the first group was high and to the left so I adjusted it with the rear sight all the way down and the darn thing still shoots 4" high at 50 yards with a p/b and 80 grs. of 3f. Have any of you had the same problem? I can hunt with it, it's just annoying that I'm going to have to aim low and get a higher front sight eventually. Were these rifles designed to shoot conicals? There is no twist rate on the barrel.

yep common problem with TC. They like to charge an arm and a leg for the gun and top it off with a nice set of crappy sights that do not offer enough adjustment.

Do yourself a favor and go find some traditional sights that you like and order an extra high front sight and take a file with you to the shooting range. TC sights are junk, Plain and simple.

Mite also think bout goin to 2F & findin a load it likes fore filin away them sites :hmm:

Kentuckywindage said:
TC sights are junk, Plain and simple.

FYI...T/C cut a redesigned adjustable sight into production 10-15 years ago and they're excellent...I've never had a problem with any of the new style sights, and I have a lot of them...same sights are also used by GM on their drop-in barrels

roundball said:
Kentuckywindage said:
TC sights are junk, Plain and simple.

FYI...T/C cut a redesigned adjustable sight into production 10-15 years ago and they're excellent...I've never had a problem with any of the new style sights, and I have a lot of them...same sights are also used by GM on their drop-in barrels

Thanks- Kinda wat i was tryin to say- You said it better :bow:

Try dropping your powder charge to maybe 50-60 gr of FFFG. Figure out the windage and then work on the various loads for different ranges. Shoot from a sandbag. You should be able to dial the rifle in with 3-5 shots give or take. :hmm:

at 35 yards my renegade shoots with 60 grains of 3f goex in the same place as 80 grains with a conical. This is good enough for deer at 35 yards I hunt thick timber so I do not take shots more than about 25 yards. I really like the adjustable green mountain barrel sights on my 2 ibs barrels you can see and resolve 6" targets much better.

I have shot both Conicals and PRBs in my T/C Hawkins without problems. My sights work fine. Maybe if you posted a pic of you rear and front sights it may help someone determine the issue. My hunting load is 85 grains of 2f and PRB and that load is well within my sight adjustment range. POA and POI are the same.

First time I have heard of such a problem with T/C sights. I have used them for about 25 years as have several friends with no problems. We must have got lucky :hmm: . Did it shoot high years ago before you put it away?

texcl said:
Were these rifles designed to shoot conicals? There is no twist rate on the barrel.

They use a standard 1:48 inch twist, sort of a middle of the road twist so it could shoot either projectile with efficiency.

I think I would try fiddlin' with the powder charge first, too. Dropping down to 70gr of 2F would drop the impact point. That was my deer load for my .50 Hawken.

And don't over look the possibility that you could have a barrel that is slightly out of true...TC has a "laser guided barrel alignment machine" and under their lifetime warranty you could send it back explaining the problem...they'll make it right at no charge.

-----got my TC Hawken percussion about 72 took off the seghts and put on a leaf sight from an old 22 rifle and a blade front sight-----

roundball said:
And don't over look the possibility that you could have a barrel that is slightly out of true...TC has a "laser guided barrel alignment machine" and under their lifetime warranty you could send it back explaining the problem...they'll make it right at no charge.

I think that roundball hit the nail on the head! I had the exact same problem with the exact same gun.I sent it back to them..they aligned the barrel, test fired it(80gr. 2f...370 gr maxi-ball...1-1/4 group--50 yards)then sent it back to me free of charge.I now shoot the same load that they used to test fire it and everything is fine.

Hi texcl! I have a hawken 54 i bought in 1990, it has the newer style sights, i've had no problems with it, i've found it likes 2ff powder better than 3fff. I shoot 85gr with prb and 100gr with a buffalo bullet at 100 yards the buffalo bullet is only 2inches lower than the prb.

I was thinking that if the gun was bought "used" that the prevous owner might have filed the front site if it was a block style.You could build it back up with J B Weld,file to shape,and paint black.
Other option is measure height and call TC for a higher one.
Never had problems with any of mine but that not saying you might. :hmm:
Had bought a Seneca with a fiber optic sight that wasn't origional that shot high.Put an origional back on and she shoots fine.

410-er said:
Other option is measure height and call TC for a higher one.

Seneca & Cherokee barrels had the same dovetail dimensions and front sights...other TC MLs had different depths of dovetails depending on their date of manufacture.

If he wants to change front sights, he'll need to send the old front sight in to TC to match it up...(or just send the whole barrel)...they have old style and new style front sights with respect to the thickness of the base that fits the particular dovetail on a particular barrel.

Latest posts

Back