• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken stock finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is the stock on a T/C Hawken oil finished?
If so, what oil did they use?
I have some BLO and Tung Oil Finish I use on other rifles. I have a small scratch under the comb on my T/C hawken that goes down to raw wood. It feels smooth enough that some #0000 steel wool and oil should repair easily.
Thanks,
Jim

Is the stock on a T/C Hawken oil finished?
If so, what oil did they use?
I have some BLO and Tung Oil Finish I use on other rifles. I have a small scratch under the comb on my T/C hawken that goes down to raw wood. It feels smooth enough that some #0000 steel wool and oil should repair easily.
Thanks,
Jim
========================================================
TC went through a few different stock finishing operations over the years...some seemed to have a plain dull oil finish, others a semi-gloss satin finish, others with an obviuous polyurethane spray on hard coat, etc, etc...not knowing what you have in front of you it's hard to say.
If you happen to know the actual year it was manufactured you might call TC.
I will say from refinishing several, I never applied any 'stain' after I tried that once, because the combination of stain and finish made it much, much too dark, and it your case might leave a dark streak.

Unless you have a clear hard coat of polyurethane on it, one low risk approach would be to just take a couple drops of Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil and rub it in, let it dry 24hrs, do it a second time...probably match up pretty close to what you have...if not, it's easily removed, where stain would be harder to get back out of the wood.
:m2c:

I'll try touching it up with oil. If that doesn't seem to match I can remove the urathane or whatever they used with alcohol or acetone.
I bought it used and don't know when it was made, but I got the impression it wasn't too long ago.
Thanks,
Jim

I have refinished several rifles recently. I found that using a stripper is the the most effective method. Then use water to raise the grain. Use super fine grit sand paper followed by 0000 steel wool, alcohol wipe then apply Formbys Tung Oil satin finish with a lint free rag. Steel wool between coats. Apply 6-7 coats and you will have a beautiful stock.

Back