• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken won't stay cocked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcompton35603

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was fooling with the T/C Hawken this morning and noticed it does not stay cocked. I had to completely disassemble and clean it over the weekend, I bought the rifle covered with camo paint and electrical tape. I am thinking that when I put the the lock assemble and trigger back in I didn't engage them properly...is this a common mistake and easily corrected?

When you say you somehow fixed it does that mean you don't know what went right? Great news that it is now working ........watch yer top knot

If you don't put witness marks on the heads of every bolt and screw, so that you know exactly where to return them when you put the gun back together. its all too common to tighten these bolts and screws too MUCH, and that pinches parts and they don't work the way they should. You are compressing the wood around the thinnest areas of your gunstock, and that does Not HELP the longevity of the stock.

Treat your gun and lock like a fine swiss watch. When you put it back together, return the screws to exactly the same position in which they existed when you took the gun apart. :hmm: :thumbsup:

sometimes, if the lock is cocked when you take it off, and you don't place the sear correctly above the trigger bar when replacing it, you can get this effect...Hank

Sometimes the T/C lock can be "overlubed" and the fly will stick in one position. The fly should remain dry and able to rotate freely.

I'm wondering if you inadverdantly adjusted the set-trigger to lightly? I noticed this happening w/ my hawken...if I adjusted the set to lightly, it wouldn't stay cocked.

Back