• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just talked to a gal at T/C inquiring about putting double set triggers in my Renegade. She said that you cannot put a double set trigger conversion in a Renegade that has a single trigger.
Anyone out there know why?

dustystones said:
I just talked to a gal at T/C inquiring about putting double set triggers in my Renegade. She said that you cannot put a double set trigger conversion in a Renegade that has a single trigger.
Anyone out there know why?
The single trigger "Hunter" model of the Renegade has a smaller / different amount of inletting, and of course a shorter trigger guard.
The double set trigger assembly requires that a lot more wood be removed for it all to fit in there, then the larger, longer trigger guard is needed to cover the larger trigger assembly, etc.

So....what I understand that you are saying it is not a drop-in fit, but with a little stock work it can be done.
Correct or not?

dustystones said:
So....what I understand that you are saying it is not a drop-in fit, but with a little stock work it can be done.
Correct or not?
No, that's not correct...I didn't come anywhere even remotely close to saying that.

Plus, for my Hawkens at least, a new double set trigger assembly costs $40, and a new trigger guard costs $48.

IMO, you'd be better off buying a new or clean used Renegade stock assembly, transfer the barrel and lock, then selling your Hunter stock assembly if its not what you want.

Or...call TC back and ask them what they'd charge to convert your Hunter to a Renegade.

Roundball is correct.Had a friend that had a hunter and liked my renegade so he spent a 100 dollar bill--new trigger assy. and trigger guard not including the inlet job.Did not change how the gun shot.Don't think they were T/C parts either.

Good thread, I have a hunter and always wondered if I could put in a double set trigger unit.

Thanks for the info Roundball.

The Davis deerhunter trigger is nearly a drop in to Hawken and double set renegades. Cost is same as a TC double set. They are NICE :thumbsup:

greetings,
the mad prof is keerect.

the davis trigger is also used for target shooting with a tc, it has NO kick back. it is a great target trigger..

..ttfn..grampa..

Yes, the ones I've brought were setup well with no adjustments needed. The are not as robust (heavily built) as the TC trigger, but the pull is oh so nice and smooth :thumbsup:

greetings mr flint,

mr prof. don't think it is. how somever, that is a fine looking trigger.

davis has thier own site. will see if i can find it..

found it.. google up r e davis. hit triggers on thier menu. find 'deerslayer and you are there.. all you will need is 40 bucks

..ttfn..grampa.. :grin:

xxgrampa said:
greetings mr flint,

mr prof. don't think it is. how somever, that is a fine looking trigger.

davis has thier own site. will see if i can find it..

found it.. google up r e davis. hit triggers on thier menu. find 'deerslayer and you are there.. all you will need is 40 bucks

..ttfn..grampa.. :grin:

Am I interpreting what I'm seeing correctly...that the davis triggers are really not a two trigger operation...they only operate in "set trigger" mode?

That's basically the one I have on my Flinter. No, you can fire it without it being set. However, I mostly shoot it set because of a heavy pull unset. It does come with the set screw in a good location for a light pull, but YMMV.

Nope, I looked again, this one is different from mine. They do have a couple that have to be set to shoot, but Davis makes both types.

Nope , don't need to be set.

I thumped a doe a couple weeks ago, I jumped. A quick hammer cock and a shot at 60 yds, both lungs but saved the heart for the frying pan.

No complaints with the pull unset, still lighter and crisper than the TC.

Am I interpreting what I'm seeing correctly...that the davis triggers are really not a two trigger operation...they only operate in "set trigger" mode?

Nope, you can shoot it without setting. In fact, it's so darned good without setting that I almost never set mine. Can't say that about the original trigger.

Goldhunter said:
Nope, I looked again, this one is different from mine. They do have a couple that have to be set to shoot, but Davis makes both types.

That's why I asked because this is the text with the above trigger link to TOW:

"...The target style front trigger has no lever to engage the sear. The trigger must be set to fire the lock..."

I already have set trigger capability on my T/C Hawken triggers...buff polished the rear trigger's engagement tip...I use set triggers for everything and they work perfectly

roundball said:
Goldhunter said:

That's why I asked because this is the text with the above trigger link to TOW:

"...The target style front trigger has no lever to engage the sear. The trigger must be set to fire the lock..."

I already have set trigger capability on my T/C Hawken triggers...buff polished the rear trigger's engagement tip...I use set triggers for everything and they work perfectly

RB I've read your posts concerning polishing TC triggers, thanks!!!

I have brought some TC stocks /barrels I've had to build up. Once I brought a Davis trigger I'd not go back to a TC.

BUT, your polishing may make things more similar in performance. I've still a 50 renegade that shoots the lights out with factory TC trigger, I'll try the polishing on that one for a comparison.

Mad Professor said:
RB I've read your posts concerning polishing TC triggers, thanks!!!
I have brought some TC stocks /barrels I've had to build up. Once I brought a Davis trigger I'd not go back to a TC.
BUT, your polishing may make things more similar in performance. I've still a 50 renegade that shoots the lights out with factory TC trigger, I'll try the polishing on that one for a comparison.

And I'll be the first to acknowledge that one person's "works perfectly" may be another person's "so-so". So I'm just speaking for me...if my set triggers are adjustable, and polished nmirror smooth, and break crisply with no creep, I don't know what else I could ask them to do.

Plus...not being independently wealthy, that $40 saved buys about 4 cans of Goex (or a couple gallons of gas :grin: )

Back