• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C vs Hornady

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I know that dead is dead and shot placement is THE most important thing BUT all things being equal which conical would give the BEST terminal preformance? T/C's 370 gr maxi Ball OR Hornady's 385 gr HPHB great plains bullet.
Any Experiance with these? :hmm:

i have tried both in my hawken and the great plains did better grouping.as for game performance i have taken only 1 wt doe and that was with a rb.

I have been shooting the 370 maxi ball since 1991 and have taken 6+ deer every year with it. Out of all the deer taken with the maxi ball I have only found one maxi that did not go thru the deer and when I got the bullet out it was about the size of a quarter. About 75% of the deer dropped in their tracks the rest run no more than 40yds.and were leaving a very good blood trail.I have had to much good luck with the maxi to try anything else. I have not used the hornady so I do not know how they preform.But they should work well to.

" Terminal Performance" can mean different things with different bullets. If you are shooting a Hollow Point bullet, you want the best EXPANSION on impact. IF you are shooting heav muscles game, you want the most penetration. If you are shooting light skinned game, you want good expansion and medium penetration.

With those conical bullet, DO YOUR OWN penetration testing. I use 1" pine boards spaced 1" apart for my testing, not because its the best medium, or duplicates what happens when bullets hit flesh, but because I can get good comparison to guns firing bullets I know will get the job done on whatever game I want to hunt. You don't need a conical on any deer- whitetail, Blacktail, Sika, Coos, Mule, whatever. A PRB is the BEST choice for taking deer. Conicals come into their own when hunting heavy-boned game, such as wild boar, Elk, Moose, Caribou,& Bear. That doesn't mean you can't kill these animals with a PRB. Heck, every one of these species has been killed at one time or another using a .22 rimfire!

A Gunsmith friend of mine who lives in British Columbia wrote that he completely restored an old, original, Winchester 73 chambered in .38-40, putting a new stock on it, then boring out the old barrel and lining it with a new steel tube, replacing old worn out parts with new steel parts, redoing the head spacing, and tuning the action. The owner, an Inuit hunter, who was the 4th generation of his family to own and use the gun, talked about killing moose at 15 yards with a bullet in the ear! My friend surprised the man by getting him 100 NEW, .38-40 casings, bullets, primers, and powder, to replace the 3 old balloon-head casings the man had left, and was reloading for each hunt. This family had killed all the game it lived on, from seals, to polar bear, with this rifle, which shoots a .40 caliber 185 gr. lead bullet at about 900 fps.

I suspect that your conicals will produce better " terminal Performance", measure by any standard than this. The question is, " Are you as skilled a hunter as this Inuit hunter is?"This native hunter traveled more than 700 miles to find a gunsmith he had heard did those kinds of restorations. He wanted to keep the old gun. My friend left the outside of the barrel as is, without any blueing and with all the nicks and gouges of the ages. The rest of the metal was blued, and the new stock was finished. The old one had several breaks that had been repaired with nails, screws, hide glue, rawhide wraps, and even some sheet metal wraps, with copper wire. It just was at the point of falling apart when it was brought to him. The Inuit had no idea about CAS being a huge new sport, that had created a new market for these old guns, and parts. If his father had brought the gun in for these same repairs 35 years ago, the gunsmith would have had to make most everything from scratch, using industry drawings. Today, Curly was able to buy new replacement parts, like a new feed lifter, from several sources, rather than have to weld up a new section on the worn down and worn out bottom where the lever moves the lifter up. The owner and his family, who walked and boated down to Curly's shop, returned and were delighted with the " new " old gun. Curly had him shoot the gun out on his pasture range, and then showed him the differences between his old casings and the new ones, and how to use the new reloading tools that Curly gave him. He was very delighted, and promised to send him other business. Then the family headed off into the forests of Northern British Columbia, going back home. Curly said he would have given the guy the gun free for a chance to have gone hunting with the man, just for the opportunity to watch, and learn how he stalked and got so close to game.

Iam with Gote Rider on this only I use 430gr TC maxi-ball. Too much good performance for too many years to change. The other bullet may be fine but I've never found the need to try it.

Back