• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T.O.W. Inletting Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericb

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got T.O.W.'s barrel inletting tool, the one that has the round disc mounted on the end of the toll, & discs that come in 3 sizes. The discs need a good sharpening, which is fine, but the angle of the cutting discs on the tool seems kinda awkward; seems a little shallow to me(?) Anybody have experience with this tool? Am I missing something?

Thinking maybe Brownell tool is the answer; my buddy has one & it's impressive how much wood it can take off while still being completely controllable...at least when he uses it.

Eric

Those are SCRAPERS, not chisels. They Scrape off very little wood with each pass, and don't need steep angles. The idea is to take your time, and keep the line of the mortise STRAIGHT. Keep a fresh, visible, centerline on the top of the tang, and at the muzzle end, for visual references. Some prefer to freshen the center line in the mortise after every pass is completed. Use a chalk line to do this. You should have lines on the side of the top of the mortise/stock, to guide you as to the width of the barrel in the stock. If the barrel is tapered, or swamped those side lines become the most critical.

If you are working with an Octagon barrel( and those scrapers are for round barrels), you can use a sharpened edge on the end of the barrel to scrape off wood in the mortise to get a good marriage between the barrel and the stock. Clamp the stock in a good vise, and use two hands to control the barrel as you push it into the mortise wood, and scrape off wood(dust) on the flats. Again, follow your guide lines on the stock indicating the outline of the barrel in the mortise.

Roger on the Scraper aspect Paul. Angle just seems kinda shallow to me compared to other scrapers I've seen & used. Maybe once I get the discs sharpened up and do a few passes I'll get the feel of this particular tool...

Eric

Are you supposed to sharpen it or put a burr on the edge? I've never seen one of these particular tools but some scrapers work with just a tiny burr rubbed on the edge with a hardened rod.

The cupped discs still have a flange from fabrication all around the circumference which is so thin you cab bend it back with your thumb nail. I took the one and knocked it off with a small file (coulda scraped it of with a pocket knife), and then placed the disc cutting edge down on a stone and worked it till clean & sharp, which didn't take long. Will see how she goes...and keep what you said about a burr in mind

Eric

Same consept as the Gunline brand barrel bedding scrapers just a little slower on material removal.They work good for cleanup of channel after roughing in .

I got that tool when I was building my fowler. It was useless to me. I ended up buying a good one from Midway and used it for the round portion of the barrel channel. I t was way easier to use and not all that more expensive. the one I got from midway had 5 or 6 discs on it with little rubber bushing in between to keep it from chattering in the wood. That being said I later screwed up my ramrod channel and ended up making that stock into basically fire wood so what do I know. :grin: The barrel inlet however came out pretty nice for my first.

Back