• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tags; what are you in for

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well work got rained out today so I may well sit down & start planning what tags to put in for.

I already got the news that my long time hunting partner & cousin gave me a "Christmas Gift" He put me in for an out of state cow elk tag in Wyoming (where he moved to a few years ago) and I drew the tag :grin:

So I have a meat tag already, thanks to him :thumbsup:

What tags are you planning on for this year?

In Arkansas the only tag we have to put in for is for elk. And in the legal permit areas where the elk live the terrain is so rugged one must hire horses to get the dead critter out. I'm past being willing to go to the effort and expense.

Put in for my usual mule deer, buck and doe rifle tags. The buck tag is a guaranteed tag, doe usually comes in every three to five years. Sometimes the landowner hands out bonus LOP tags, but that's only when he's got too many deer in the alfalfa. Hasn't happened in quite a while, don't expect it this year, either.

Also have a spring bear hunt on tap this year over in Idaho. Outfitter supplies the tag on that one.

Bakeoven Bill said:
Also have a spring bear hunt on tap this year over in Idaho. Outfitter supplies the tag on that one.

As I have stated before, My wife has killed a Bear & I have not. I would be Vary interested in how goes your hunt. Will it be Muzzleloader? Would be interested in what Guide you used & how they did for you. I hope you will write up how it went when you get back. In the mean time :thumbsup: Good Luck!!

Except for big born, I'm still up in the air. We have done January cow elk hunts the past three years so the grandson could hunt with us. We have managed a few elk but we are about done with snow. One of us had just had two knee replacements, one needs one bad and my flexibility in one leg is poor. Two feet of snow was more than we want to deal with. The elk were not happy either. We had to stay on the ranch (ranching for wildlife), but the elk left.

Might get a bear tag and do the berry patch vigil.

Sean Gadhar said:
Bakeoven Bill said:

As I have stated before, My wife has killed a Bear & I have not. I would be Vary interested in how goes your hunt. Will it be Muzzleloader? Would be interested in what Guide you used & how they did for you. I hope you will write up how it went when you get back. In the mean time :thumbsup: Good Luck!!

It's an any weapon(bow, rifle, muzzleloader)/any method (bait,dogs,stalk) hunt.

Given my joints, I'm sitting over bait with a flintlock. First time doing any kind of stand type hunt, unless you count duck hunting. Had my fun clambering around the mountains for bear during my misspent youth. Not in the cards anymore.

Will make a report when I get back.

Thankfully, we don't have to put in for tags...We get 6 "free"...So I can kill up to 4 bucks and 2 does with them...I can then buy unlimited doe tags for $10 for two... :grin:

Here in Montana I buy over the counter: 1 Elk(in most areas it has to be a bull), 1 deer (usually a buck), bear, and wolf. I put in for drawings for Moose, Cow Elk, Doe, Bison. I also put in for damage control hunts for elk and deer. Last year the only drawing I was successful with was the damage hunt. Got a nice calf elk. :hatsoff:

I'm in for antelope, have four points now. If I draw, will hunt with a muzzleloader. Killed a mule deer buck with my flintlock last fall so can't apply for limited entry deer hunts for a couple of years. No use to put in for elk, no snow, no elk where I'd hunt.

I'm in for ML buck in CO. I think I might put in for unit 53 as first, and go with 7 second - 53 is a long shot with my points. I've done well in 7 the last couple years, but dang its getting crowded.

Also here at home I will have a buck rifle tag that I will hunt with my flinter, and either another ML either sex late season tag (if I get lucky!) or an archery either sex tag for deer.

I might also try for a local bear again, but it depends. 3 animals will get me through the year, so I will wait to decide - I don't want to be a glutton.

Sitting here watching the wind blow snow sideways out my living room window and wondering what and if I should put in for anything. Both my shoulders are pretty well healed up. The doc can't tell me if I can shoot or not-he doesn't know. But my left hip is telling me it needs replaced. With ibuprofen I can get along okay, but by hunting season? I'm going after turkey, and that should tell me.
Good Luck

Arizona bull elk with muzzleloader 06A early November -- I have 7 points. Wasatch Mountain, Utah limited entry bull elk any weapon mid September. I have 14 preference points. Hopefully will draw one of these this year. Been a long haul trying to get a draw.

Dave

Man, I'm glad I'm from WV. We can kill deer out the wazoo. 2 gobblers, 2 bear and all you gotta do is buy extra stamps over the counter. Resident landowners can kill the max with no purchasing. Almost heaven.......WV.

I mean the hunting is horrible, no need to come here, I hear California is the place to be.

In state, I go to the early Muzzleloading season in the Adirondack mountains about 2 hours north of me. I got a woodstove outfitters tent recently, so it should add a new element of fun to it. Each year I put a tag in for my backyard and my mom's property about an hour East of Me.

I am going to give PA's flintlock season a go in JAnuary.

The past 3 years I have put in for the NH Moose Lottery. 1 in 187 chance as of last year and it's been a rough year for moose, so it will likely be worse. I may just pay the lottery fee just to accumulate points, and not enter the drawing.

I will put in for the New Brunswick Canada Moose Lottery next year. It usually takes 3 years or so to draw. Spent a lot of play money on building a muzzleloader, all the tools, a bench and vise, and about an extra $1000 on top of that for the outfitter tent. So, I'll be easy on the fun budget this fall.

I got all the tags I need here is Missouri for free being a landowner. I will buy a Kansas turkey tag for the spring and I have already purchased an Alberta moose tag for the fall. That hunt I'm doing with a longbow, though.

Darren

Mike: Hopefully all will be well for your turkey hunt coming up, as well as the seasons to come.

We get plenty of tags in TX. But I haven't hunted in several years now.

My hunting success increased after I turned 65 and retired. The state doesn't charge residents over 65 for hunting or fishing and has about a third of the hunts eligible for exempt status. This allows exempt people to just show up and hunt at some of the WMAs. The success ratio stinks but the old adage about the blind squirrel holds true every now and then.

I just drew a good turkey area two days ago so maybe I'll see a gobbler this year. It's hard to locate turkeys when your half deaf.

I've got the half deaf as well as tinnitus going for me too. Good thing I'm farsighted or I'd miss everything out there. :redface:
Kansas is over the counter tags for residents though there are some special hunts and a mule deer tag that you can put in for. I need to get up to the county seat and get my turkey tags this month.

Only one tag to put in for. Rifle deer tag for which I will use a ML. Turkey, archery deer , and ML deer will all be purchase.
Our deer population was hit extremely hard by EHD in 2012 here in Eastern Ne. and is getting no help from Game & Parks to rebuild. They continue to offer special early and late season antlerless permits. All about the $ here folks. :nono:
Good luck to all on your tags and hunts.
Ed

Back