• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taking care of the inevitable "wounds"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I even have camo duct tape! Is it PC? Now if it would only come in deerskin tan, I'd really be happy!!

I want to mention an item that no one else has and it can't be bought in a store. It's an up to date tetanus shot. A tetanus shot lasts 10 years and prevents lockjaw, a bacterial infection that can be picked up literally anywhere in the environment. Once it enters the bloodstream from a puncture wound, I don't know how anything off the shelf could easily prevent it besides having a vaccination. I keep a record of when I received my last one because they're painful. Whenever someone gets any medical treatment for a pucture wound, if they don't remember at least the year of their last shot, they are going to be urged to get one. So, I try to keep that up to date so I don't have to get another one before I really have to. Many people feel that they are just too macho or lucky to need one, even if they are long overdue. If everyone prepares for the eventual cut or wound by getting their shot well in advance, they too can avoid having to get unnecessary repeats. (ouch!) :hmm:

I want to mention an item that no one else has and it can't be bought in a store. It's an up to date tetanus shot. A tetanus shot lasts 10 years and prevents lockjaw, a bacterial infection that can be picked up literally anywhere in the environment.

Very good idea...

One of the most important things is to try to NOT let something happen in the first place. When we are unable to do that, the next best thing is to have some added protection beforehand... ounce of prevention, worth a pound of cure, kind of thing, eh?

We're getting to see some very good additional uses for various things, but then most muzzleloader owners/shooters are the type of person that makes use of whatever is available. Kind of like - "The MacGyvers of Muzzleloading" - that we are. We all probably have (at least) one of those little multi-drawer storage cabinets that have all kinds of miscellaneous screws, bits of metal, flints, empty cap tins, and who knows what else.

I'd say we are also the kind who "do the most with the least" when we have to. The kind of people who invented clever gadgets, explored new frontiers, to boldly go where... wait a minture--we're not space travellers. Yet, I imagine most of us would be if we could...

This is getting better and better, and we haven't heard from very many yet. I'm excited about learning these new uses. I'm always on the lookout for things like this. Keep the ball rollin'!

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Hey, I even have camo duct tape! Is it PC? Now if it would only come in deerskin tan, I'd really be happy!!

Yes, your camo colored duct tape is PC, where it with pride! ::

Poison ivy is my curse.
Can't cure it but decades of discomfort have lead me to hot water for relief. Get you near one a those gear-shift type kitchen faucets, -the ones with infinite temperature control and maybe a spray head. Spray the affected area with progressively hotter water until u reach the zen point. You'll know it when u get there. Done right, a coupla times daily, u can achieve near total satisfaction without tissue damage. Quells the itch, accelerates the recovery cycle and feels illegally good.

~Longshot

Poison ivy is my curse.
Can't cure it but decades of discomfort have lead me to hot water for relief. Get you near one a those gear-shift type kitchen faucets, -the ones with infinite temperature control and maybe a spray head. Spray the affected area with progressively hotter water until u reach the zen point. You'll know it when u get there. Done right, a coupla times daily, u can achieve near total satisfaction without tissue damage. Quells the itch, accelerates the recovery cycle and feels illegally good.

~Longshot
Swiming in a chlorinated pool works... :m2c:

How 'bout the Weary Dismals?

If I'm understanding that one correctly, that isn't something that has an easy cure or fix...

Care to elaborate on it and tell us more in the "non-muzzleloading discussions"--unless of course it's because of muzzleloading that this condition exists, or applies...?

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

PS I find that shooting real BP in a nice large caliber flintlock smoothbore is as good a cure for anything--especially when it's one of the "harder to define" problems!

It's also too dangerous with all the easily transmitted diseases to expose yourself to anyone elses blood or saliva, and especially if you are more prone to serious health issues from that exposure. In some cases, the person rendering aid could be at greater risk than the one injured.

Do we have any lawyer types on here who could tell us more?

The sad thing is that I remember that as a kid, I had all kinds of bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, nicks, abrasions, etc... that were full of dirt and gravel and who knows what, and I never did hardly anything to clean up... AND, I'm still alive to talk about it.

Nowadays, just a scratch can lead to very serious complications for a person, both literally and legally. It's a good idea to be prepared to give minor first-aid at least for ourselves and our family members.

Does the Red Cross or any other organizations offer any courses for general first-aid? I had to go to a local college and take a regular course. That was many over 20-some years ago and wasn't cheap then. I'm sure it would be very expensive now.
Yes,The red cross does first aid classes all the time.For pricing I have seen them taught for free and for about $100.00.It depends where you go.I dont know if you are retired or not but alot of times you can get your employer to pay for it.I also wanted to comment on the blood borne pathogen thing.Yes you can get HIV and all the Hepetitus threw blood contact but not as easely as it sounds.Hep A and B is very easey to get but HIV and hep c needs to have perfect conditions.I know a nerse who got squirted in the mouth and eyes with blood from a full blown AIDS patent in1990 and in 1985 got stuck by a junky's needle and no Hiv hep yet.

Have to chime in here, in favor of good old super glue. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was initially developed for use as a surgical adhesive - anybody back that up?
I've also used pine or spruce sap in a pinch. Just dab a little of the liquid sap on the cut, hold it closed, and slap on whatever bandage material you have handy. Conifer resin is acidic, so I'd guess its anti-bacterial.

I have heard the same thing about Super Glue being developed for closing wounds. I know that skin is the one thing it actually is Super at sticking to. ::

For cuts you can always carry the "Hog Hunters Favorite"; a big staple gun.
I have seen it used on numerous catch dogs who had been slashed by boars.
I have also seen it used down in the river swamp on one man who was in danger of bleeding to death from a boar slash.
It works in a pinch. And thats how its used also. Pinch the sides of the cut together and staple it several times. Later the vet or doctor will remove the staples when the dog, or you, gets sticthed up proper.
It works well. And I'm real glad it wasn't me who had to be stapled back together.

Use Rusty staples and you will be PC :crackup:

You can also tape each side of the cut and sew the tape together, if you don't ahve stri-stips or butterflies. Hurts a lot less than a staple gun!

Back