• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BP Hunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a target percussion pistol to play with....I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a regular pistol, but I like the idea of a muzzleloader. Any suggestions? There was one down in the sheep sheds, target based on a 1911 if I remember correctly, any other makes out there that I should consider?

that could be the old 1960s "inline" made by Alex Hamilton, Ten Ring Precision for the 185 grain .45 acp bullet. Had micro sights and a 1911 type grip

What's your price range, and do you want a kit or a finished gun?
There is Pedersoli, Lyman's, Traditions, Track of the Wolf... the list goes on.

:grin: The Traditions W. Parker percussion in .50 is a real good way to get into the competition. The cost is reasonable and the gun looks good---youwill have to file the rear sight notch so you can find the front post. The double set trigger is good and the lock is quick enough, the grips have checkering and work out quite well. Just a word of advise---dont' get discouraged by your first attempts---it take a lot of practise and serious range time. Best if you can team up with an experienced shooter to help you through the "birthing process." :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

IMO, the best "production" "tradional MLs are either the Pedersoli "LePage" or the Pedersoli Mortimer.I have 2 Mortimers (a flint & a Percussion - .44 cal) Off the bench, I shoot "nickles & dimes" & 25 yd.s (2 hand grip off hand (dollars & on a "good day Quarters) I also have a good friend who has LePages He's got a "passal" of trophies etc (state, Reg. & Natl.)that he has won using them.( he prefers .36 cal) He is also a master gun builder ( the $3,000 - $6,000 type ) here in the PNW

They are spendy (LePage = $525-$625 & Mortimers = $600 & up.) but IMO, if your seriouse about shooting target, they are worth it.

Puffer

Hi Pete,
i am pleased with the Traditions Trapper (50cal perc) my wife got me for xmas. Out of the box and NO sight or trigger adjustments, I have been able to get 2 to 3inch groups at 45 to 50 yards with about 23 gr 3f and a patched rb.
I have shot a bunch prior to this bp gun, so I understand grip, method, repeatability ect. This is pure trigger time to develop what works for you and your firearm.
The traditions is spanish made but reasonably priced.
finished gun was like 172.00 from midsouth shooters supply, seemed to be the cheapest at the time.
Good luck with whatever you decide upon!

Brett

What about the remington 1858 buffalo model?

Adj sights and 12 inch barrel, accurate also.

Back