• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taylor vs. cimarron vs. Traditions vs. Pietta?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Cimarron suppository revolver here in 45- it has a great let off however it is a Uberti.

I've had around 50 revolvers cross my bench the past 3 years mostly used. All makes 2 issues stand out ,broken hands & cylinder trigger springs on the older ones.
I don't purchase from DGW-Cabela's- Bass Pro, so unless a guy says he got this from so in so I can't give an opinion on quality.

What is a "suppository revolver" ?

The term makes me shudder with imaginary nether region agony.

Hey way down there Coinneach. I can't speak on that subject personally as I have never bought a Cimarron. I have heard they do slick them up but I truly don't know myself. A lot of folks swear by the quality of Cimarron. Hope things are well down there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you guys are rapidly closin in on Christmas day by now? Depending what part you are located that is. Anyway, Merry Christmas to ya Coinneach.

Hey way down there Coinneach. I can't speak on that subject personally as I have never bought a Cimarron. I have heard they do slick them up but I truly don't know myself. A lot of folks swear by the quality of Cimarron. Hope things are well down there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you guys are rapidly closin in on Christmas day by now? Depending what part you are located that is. Anyway, Merry Christmas to ya Coinneach.

Thank you sir, a Merry Christmas to you and yours heres hoping for a better New year.

I read somewhere that Cimarron import their firearms from Italy et al, trick them up and slap their own brand name on them, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Seen many Cimarrons, Owned a few. I have seen nothing special or trick about them aside from sales hype. Anyone have evidence of anything physically unique?...c

Seen many Cimarrons, Owned a few. I have seen nothing special or trick about them aside from sales hype. Anyone have evidence of anything physically unique?...c

I did an internet search after I read your reply.

"Cimarron Firearms is an American firearms importer that has been in operation since 1984...... Cimarron produces firearms within the industry of western reproduction arms. The firearms are manufactured to their specifications by Uberti and Davide Pedersoli in Brescia, Italy. Uberti makes their revolvers, lever action rifles as well as the 1885 single shot falling block rifle, and shotguns."

https://everything.explained.today/Cimarron_Firearms/

I have quite a few Cimarron Uberti's, and I am very pleased with all of them. I'm sure there are a few bad ones now and then that leave the factory, but all of mine have been above average in appearance and machining... except for the typical short arbors. I don't understand why this has not been addressed. Of the 8 or so that I have, only two had correct length arbors. It is easy enough to fix, so I continue to buy Uberti revolvers, preferably the ones sold by Cimarron, but Uberti would do themselves a big favor if they would correct this issue.

I did an internet search after I read your reply.

"Cimarron Firearms is an American firearms importer that has been in operation since 1984...... Cimarron produces firearms within the industry of western reproduction arms. The firearms are manufactured to their specifications by Uberti and Davide Pedersoli in Brescia, Italy. Uberti makes their revolvers, lever action rifles as well as the 1885 single shot falling block rifle, and shotguns."

https://everything.explained.today/Cimarron_Firearms/[/QUO
Cimarron labeled percussion pistols are not "Produced" by Cimarron. Just bought wholesale and sold retail just like all the other retailers. Taylors, EMF , D.G.W. or any smaller retailer. They may at times have a special order like a different grip, engraving or polished in the white but the quality and production is from Pietta, Uberti, Pedersoli or former closed factories. Actual makers of these guns are not the retail sellers in the USA. Is there evidence, not just sales hype that would differ?...c

What is a "suppository revolver" ?

The term makes me shudder with imaginary nether region agony.
"Suppository gun" is a term sometimes used by muzzleloading shooters in reference to modern breechloading cartridge guns. The cartridge being inserted into the rear end of the barrel just as medications are administered to people who can't swallow. I first saw the term in an article written by "Doc" Carlson back in the seventies. Doc, who is the proprietor of the Upper Missouri Trading Post in Crofton, Nebraska, USA, and a remarkably knowledgeable expert on the fur trade and Hawken rifles, has always been rightfully noted for his wit. I was very pleased to discover, just a couple of weeks ago, that Doc is doing well and still managing his business, serving the blackpowder community. I've never met him face to face, but I had a short but enjoyable conversation with him on the phone while placing an order for a book. I will also state that I had the book in my hand four days later. He does business the old-fashioned way. The Upper Missouri Trading Post doesn't have much of a presence on the Internet. They do have a website, but it is very limited. I'm glad they are still in business.

I didn't mean to divert the conversation, but I credit Doc with coining the phrase, "suppository gun."

Notchy Bob

I have quite a few Cimarron Uberti's, and I am very pleased with all of them. I'm sure there are a few bad ones now and then that leave the factory, but all of mine have been above average in appearance and machining... except for the typical short arbors. I don't understand why this has not been addressed. Of the 8 or so that I have, only two had correct length arbors. It is easy enough to fix, so I continue to buy Uberti revolvers, preferably the ones sold by Cimarron, but Uberti would do themselves a big favor if they would correct this issue.

The 2 you say were "correct " were either fixed by a previous owner or your using a bad test method. I've never found an Uberti open top revolver to have a correct length arbor (or any other copies by anyone else for that matter. Only originals and Piettas of late). This is after hundreds of open tops through the shop. The only infallible test is a single washer down the arbor hole and reassembly. That will show a short arbor. The 90° and twist test won't even let you get the bbl assy all the way down to "swing it" without dressing the arbor on an out of the box gun. Out of the box bbl assemblies will only fit when in line with the frame. Only newer Piettas arbors bottom out in the arbor hole and for my purposes are a little long . . . but can easily be dressed down to my spec. of .0025" - .003" barrel/cylinder clearance or endshake.

Mike

"Suppository gun" is a term sometimes used by muzzleloading shooters in reference to modern breechloading cartridge guns. The cartridge being inserted into the rear end of the barrel just as medications are administered to people who can't swallow. I first saw the term in an article written by "Doc" Carlson back in the seventies. Doc, who is the proprietor of the Upper Missouri Trading Post in Crofton, Nebraska, USA, and a remarkably knowledgeable expert on the fur trade and Hawken rifles, has always been rightfully noted for his wit. I was very pleased to discover, just a couple of weeks ago, that Doc is doing well and still managing his business, serving the blackpowder community. I've never met him face to face, but I had a short but enjoyable conversation with him on the phone while placing an order for a book. I will also state that I had the book in my hand four days later. He does business the old-fashioned way. The Upper Missouri Trading Post doesn't have much of a presence on the Internet. They do have a website, but it is very limited. I'm glad they are still in business.

I didn't mean to divert the conversation, but I credit Doc with coining the phrase, "suppository gun."

Notchy Bob

Thank you sir, I'll look up The Upper Missouri Trading Post.

I've collected a few Ubertis and like them, no criticism was intended of the Cimarron folk.

Back