• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC 56 cal. smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just acquired and had it at he range this morning. I don't know what is avilable in this caliber so I used what I had. Started with 70 grs. of Goex followed by a felt wad for my .54 then a .535 rb and .015 patch, all fit fairly snug.
1st 2 rounds at 25 yards looked good, so I'll try the 50 yrd. Held pretty tight there too, in the 4" range, so that is cool. Lets go for the gusto take to 100 yds. Still talking pie plates here.
This is my first exp. with a smoothbore, other that a bp double barrel shotgun and .72 rbs
I was impressed, so are there other loads anyone can tell me about that I can try out that you have had success with.
Thanks, Bernie

Ol'Ephraim said:
I just acquired and had it at he range this morning. I don't know what is avilable in this caliber so I used what I had. Started with 70 grs. of Goex followed by a felt wad for my .54 then a .535 rb and .015 patch, all fit fairly snug.
1st 2 rounds at 25 yards looked good, so I'll try the 50 yrd. Held pretty tight there too, in the 4" range, so that is cool. Lets go for the gusto take to 100 yds. Still talking pie plates here.
This is my first exp. with a smoothbore, other that a bp double barrel shotgun and .72 rbs
I was impressed, so are there other loads anyone can tell me about that I can try out that you have had success with.
Thanks, Bernie
I had a TC 56 SB one time and had excellent results with:
70grns Goex 3F
.58cal Oxyoke wonderwad
.015" Oxyoke prelubed patch
.550 balls

It was a very snug fit requiring a good smack with the short starter, but surprisingly accurate, a couple inches at 50yds...didn't try it beyond 50yds.

A .020 patch with your .535s might shrink those groups a good bit too.

Ol'Ephraim said:
Thanks, Bernie
Hi Bernie,

Had one of them in the late 80's when I lived in MA. MA at the time would only allow smothbore and pathed round ball so TC would bore out a .54 to remove the rifling and it would end up some where around .56. At least that is what they told me at TC when I was having a contender worked on.

I killed a small buck with mine at 50 yards and got a complete pass through. I was using 90 grains of FFg over a .550 round ball that was made locally by some guy just for these tc guns becasue the majority of the hunters in MA were carrying them at the time. Well maybe not a majority but a whole lot. I cannot remeber who made them but they came in a black box with the .015 patches. With the above load it shot into 3" at 75 yards and 4-5" at 100 yards.

Just as an FYI a .54 barell will be a direct drop in if you want a rifled barrel.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Great gun! If you want to find more information just use the search tool and the words "taylor in texas" and .56 smoothbore.
Taylor in Texas

I'll bet those balls you are talking about were called "Tekoa Mt. Ball" .56 cal (.550) made by:
Tekoa Mountain Ball Company, P.O. Box 267, Ware, Massachussetts 01082 (No website found). I have a couple boxes from the ex-Mass. fellow that sold me my .56 TC. The boxes are black & white and the original patches are still in the box. He told me the gun will shoot 1-2 inch groups with these balls and a heavy load, but he also said that they load tight enough to require a mallet to start.
I don't know if Tekoa is still in business or not, but here's another outfit that offers .550's:

[url] http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_9[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi articap,

Yes that is them!!! :hatsoff: I never needed a mallet but a short starter with a big enough end to give it a good whap with the hand was definitely needed. :thumbsup:

When I had mine, I used a .535 ball with a .035 patch (bluejeans). It loaded pretty tight, but I got 1 1/4" groups at 50 yards with it and 90 ffG. I used a .58 wad.

Back