• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Firestorm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbwerks

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I know it is ugly as sin and sacreligious to use one but what are your opinions on it. I am new to this site and new to flintlocks and happened to get one of these at a steal. I want to eventually build a 32 or 36 flintlock long rifle of mixed backgrounds for small game in the future. Any tips, opinions or advise would be greatly appreciated for my new ugly friend.
Ben

One of my buddys has one. Yes it's ugly but he likes it.He says it shoots good.

Sacrilegious and ugly -- right on both counts :haha: But hey,you dance with the one you brung. I agree with Stumpkiller -- TC makes a good product and I own and have hunted (successfully) with a TC Hawken perc.
The main thing is you use it and enjoy it and hopefully have success. :thumbsup:

T/C does make a good reliable product, but the inhearant built-in problem with the Firestorm is the coned breach-plug.
The myth behind this is to provide a hotter spark to ignite compressed pellets. The truth is that in order to give a hotter ignition point to the pellet the cone must first be hot before you fire the pan. If you use loose powder you should get a fairly reliable ignition, but questionable at best if you use pellets.
You said you intended to re-barrel it (with a standard T/C breachplug) for small game, my advice would be to do this as soon as feasible.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Fun to shoot, and great for smashing around the brush, slogging it out in bad weather, etc. Its the kind of gun that you won't be afraid to rough house with. Best thing about it is the looks you get from the "nose in the air" group. They won't treat their $X,XXX guns the way you can this one...

Shoot it, have fun!

I still have one...it's a great "foul wheather gun" You've been given some good advice here....forget about the pellets, this gun is much more reliable with real black powder.Also, the factory triggers are terrible on these guns. Have it reworked or converted to a double trigger. Although I'm much more traditional now...I still can't seem to part with mine!

Thank you for all the information, I only use powder in my muzzleloaders, pellets are evil. I am currenty working on drying a few pieces of wood for stocks before I can build my small bore. However if this gun shoots well maybe a wood stock could be made for it this winter?????
Thanks Again.
Ben

BobW said:
Fun to shoot, and great for smashing around the brush, slogging it out in bad weather, etc. Its the kind of gun that you won't be afraid to rough house with. Best thing about it is the looks you get from the "nose in the air" group. They won't treat their $X,XXX guns the way you can this one...

Shoot it, have fun!

Don't know who this "nose in the air" group is, but I doubt that anyone would mistreat any firearm--whether it cost $50.00 or $5000.00. It's these snide little digs that turn a nice, civil thread into a flaming war. :v

They get the job done in the field.

crop35.JPG

Back