• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Flintlock Advice Requested.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo15563

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine lent me this rifle about 5 years ago. I've killed 4 or 5 deer with it since then in PA muzzleloader seasons. It could be 20-30 years old. The serial no. is 83334. I've always called it a Renegade because it has no brass trim. The lock is case-hardened and the barrel and furniture are blued. The other assumption I've made is that the barrel is 1:48 twist. Are these assumptions correct? Please excuse the crappy photo.

renegade1.jpg

I haven't fired it more than about 50 times in those 5 years. I've kept it clean, replaced the flint a few times, and have had absolutely no problems with it. The few missfires I've had were on rainy or wet-snow days. I have it sighted in at 75 yards and can hit an 8 1/2 x 11 paper shooting offhand, using Hornady .490 roundballs, TC bore butter patches, 70 grains of Goex FF, and FFFF for the pan. I only used it because I HAD TO in order to extend my hunting time and get more meat for the freezer. BUT . . .

Recently, I've started to enjoy it. I might just let my 30-30 in the cabinet and use it for the regular gun season as well as the 2 muzzleloader seasons (I have 3 tags). I get more of a sense of accomplishment hunting with a flintlock. I bought a TC Om--- several years ago, but didn't like it and sold it to a friend.

I would like to upgrade the performance of this rifle and went shopping yesterday. I bought some Goex FFF and a yard each of red and blue pillow ticking from Wally. I know I will have to keep the charges light because of the barrel twist. I might also try some conicals. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo

A friend of mine lent me this rifle about 5 years ago. I've killed 4 or 5 deer with it since then in PA muzzleloader seasons. It could be 20-30 years old. The serial no. is 83334. I've always called it a Renegade because it has no brass trim. The lock is case-hardened and the barrel and furniture are blued. The other assumption I've made is that the barrel is 1:48 twist. Are these assumptions correct? Please excuse the crappy photo.

renegade1.jpg

I haven't fired it more than about 50 times in those 5 years. I've kept it clean, replaced the flint a few times, and have had absolutely no problems with it. The few missfires I've had were on rainy or wet-snow days. I have it sighted in at 75 yards and can hit an 8 1/2 x 11 paper shooting offhand, using Hornady .490 roundballs, TC bore butter patches, 70 grains of Goex FF, and FFFF for the pan. I only used it because I HAD TO in order to extend my hunting time and get more meat for the freezer. BUT . . .

Recently, I've started to enjoy it. I might just let my 30-30 in the cabinet and use it for the regular gun season as well as the 2 muzzleloader seasons (I have 3 tags). I get more of a sense of accomplishment hunting with a flintlock. I bought a TC Om--- several years ago, but didn't like it and sold it to a friend.

I would like to upgrade the performance of this rifle and went shopping yesterday. I bought some Goex FFF and a yard each of red and blue pillow ticking from Wally. I know I will have to keep the charges light because of the barrel twist. I might also try some conicals. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo

Some things I've learned using my TC Flintlocks:
1) TC significantly redesigned their Flintlocks five years ago with an improved hammer & frizzen, performance and ignition reliability are no longer an issue;
2) 3/4" black english flints are superior to any other I've tried in the TC locks;
3) TC also significantly improved ignition speed with a redesigned vent liner;
4) Forget about the 1:48" old wives tale...patched round balls are extremely accurate in TC's 1:48" with max loads.
90grns Goex 3F round ball loads in my .45/.50/.54cal x 1:48" barrels average 3" at 100yds, with some groups as small as 1+7/8".

So if you're going to start using it seriously, you want it 100% reliable and I'd suggest you get the improved parts, plus some 3/4" black english flints to go with your Goex 3F.

Enjoy!

Looks like a Renegade. I have the .54 flint and it does good. I had the rifling recut to .012 depth. Don't recall who did it but Chuck at Dixon gave me the information. Was maybe 15/18 years ago. The deeper rifling helped accuracy in MY case. It's still not great but can hold 2 1/2 inches at 50 yds. Previous to the cut I could do no better than 6" at 50 yds.

Previous to the cut I could do no better than 6" at 50 yds.

FWIW, TC probably made barrel improvements over the years....recent 54's shoot a ragged hole at .50yds

Looks like the .54 cal. renegade I just inherited from dad. He was using Goex FFg & T/C 365 grn. maxi hunter conical.

I had the rifling recut to .012 depth. Don't recall who did it but Chuck at Dixon gave me the information. Was maybe 15/18 years ago. The deeper rifling helped accuracy in MY case.
If Chuck Dixon sent ya for barrel work, it was probably Bobby Hoyt of Fairfield, PA who he sent you to for a recut of the barrel. One of the best in the business he is.

I took a picture of my lock to compare it with a picture posted in another thread. Based on the shape of the hammer, I think mine has the old style parts.
old1.jpg

new1.jpg

I'll call TC and see if they will upgrade this for free under the warranty. If not, I'll order the parts and install them myself.

About the vent liner, Wallyworld is selling them in packages of 2 with the TC logo. I would assume this is the improved model and will buy them next time I shop.

Jimbo

I took a picture of my lock to compare it with a picture posted in another thread. Based on the shape of the hammer, I think mine has the old style parts.
old1.jpg

new1.jpg

I'll call TC and see if they will upgrade this for free under the warranty. If not, I'll order the parts and install them myself.

About the vent liner, Wallyworld is selling them in packages of 2 with the TC logo. I would assume this is the improved model and will buy them next time I shop.

Jimbo

Yes, you've got the old style, compared to my photo of the new style.

If I could, I'll offer a suggestion:
1) Do NOT call them ahead of time;
2) Priority mail the lock directly to the attention of Service Manager Tim Pancurak (with delivery confirmation);
3) Include a good memo commenting on the reliability of the lock, and ask him if he could look it over and make it more dependable for hunting, etc;

You'll either get it back with all appropriate parts replaced, or you'll get a complete new lock assembly...no charge.

Frankly, as busy as they are this time of year, I'd bet he'll just hand it to Customer Service and tell them to pull a new lock off the shelf and mail it right back to you, rather than tie up a repair person for a half hour.

:m2c:

About the upgraded vent liner: The new, upgraded ones use a hex "allen" wrench to install , and remove. The older style has a slot for a screwdriver, to install, and remove.

Latest posts

Back