• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC FLINTLOCK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a TC Hawken Flintlock 50 cal for sale local to me for $375. The pics look good and it comes with 3lb powder, Pan primer tool, Bunch of flints, 2 powder measures, 3 boxes of .490 Hornady balls and some store bought patches. Only bad place he describes are on the barrel around the flash hole and he says it screws out easy. I believe the corrosion spots will clean up at the flash holes. If inside of barrel is ok is there anything else I need to pay attention to because I never owned a flintlock?

@COTNTOP, look on the Forum for pictures of the new(er) versus the old T/C flint lock hammer. The older locks have some geometry issues that adversely affect the performance of the flintlock. It may function okay, but some are poor sparkers. Operate the lock. You want to see a shower of sparks going into the pan. It is not a high cost replacement to replace the T/C hammer with an Investarm hammer and Investarm frizzen.

There is a TC Hawken Flintlock 50 cal for sale local to me for $375. The pics look good and it comes with 3lb powder, Pan primer tool, Bunch of flints, 2 powder measures, 3 boxes of .490 Hornady balls and some store bought patches. Only bad place he describes are on the barrel around the flash hole and he says it screws out easy. I believe the corrosion spots will clean up at the flash holes. If inside of barrel is ok is there anything else I need to pay attention to because I never owned a flintlock?
Yes, you will learn many things - AFTER you buy that rifle! Yes, the early TC's sometimes were problematic, sometimes requiring a new hammer and frizzen. But, by then you've probably got a pretty good rifle, easy enough.

If you have not got it in your lap at home yet, I'd bring it home post hast.

Now if thar be some haggelin to be done ... begin that immediately.

THANKS to all for the advice. Picked rifle up and it looks really nice for the age and already stripped the TC plastic finish off. The frizzen looks a little worn but the rest looks in really good shape. Gonna let you guys know how I do with it. This in breaking new ground for me.

Latest posts

Back