• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC Hawkens are awesome right from the factory but…
They are an even better starting place to customize. A Green Mountain drop in barrel and a L&R drop in flintlock make these rifles really come alive!
If you add a peep sight so you can shoot to the barrel’s full potential you have a rifle that is second to none.

What is the favored loading method in the deer woods, loading blocks with preluded patches or carrying loose balls and cutting patch at the muzzle?
Loading block for hunting and speed matches. Otherwise cut at the Muzzle. Hunting is usually a 3 to 5 block. A one ball block would be plenty for deer or elk. But I like to have enough in case I'm ambushed by a covey of grouse.
and is accurate to slightly longer ranges
I never found that to be the case. I got adequate hunting accuracy with maxis but for best accuracy it's balls. But of course everyone has their own results.

Reading here about some of the safety/quality issues with the TC rifles I'd like to know more about the two I have. Is there a way to date a TC Hawken and Renegade from the serial number? Are there know manufacturing dates where safety of the rifles is a concern?

Both of mine seem well built but I do want to have confidence when pulling the trigger.

Jeff
I’ve gotten lots of info from a former TC employee Deester Bees. Check his FB page Thompson Center Muzzleloader Enthusiast. He is the admin and responds to questions like this.

Back