• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawkins 50 with pitted barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been hunting with a TC New Englander. In the spring I bought a Traditions Kentucky kit to have as a second rifle. Then the Hawkins came as a package deal from my aunt with another rifle. The set trigger on the Hawkins is a big plush for my boys, makes it that much easier! So at this point I’m going to keep the Kentucky long rifle and the Hawkins.
Relining might be the way to go down the road. But as SDSmlf said at 30 yards for my boys it is more than enough accurate with the smaller ball size.
We’ll see. Anyone had a barrel relined lately? What’s the cost?

I have been hunting with a TC New Englander. In the spring I bought a Traditions Kentucky kit to have as a second rifle. Then the Hawkins came as a package deal from my aunt with another rifle. The set trigger on the Hawkins is a big plush for my boys, makes it that much easier! So at this point I’m going to keep the Kentucky long rifle and the Hawkins.
Relining might be the way to go down the road. But as SDSmlf said at 30 yards for my boys it is more than enough accurate with the smaller ball size.
We’ll see. Anyone had a barrel relined lately? What’s the cost?
I shoot a .490 ball in all my TC 50 cal. You may want to try a tougher but not thicker patch material. I have had good results with .015 tent canvas (sunforger) lubed with moose milk. It looks like you are making progress with it. My grandsons shoot 50 gr. of goex out to 50 yards. You may run on to a replacement barrel in the future. The more you and your sons shoot it the better it will get. I did have Bobby Hoyt rebore a .32 Green Mtn. barrel to .40 round bottom 1-48. He does good work as everyone has mentioned. The .32 had a rough bore and tore patches. I will shoot it more as a .40. The .32 has limitations for target shooting. Have fun.

I have a CVA mountianeer .50 with a rusted and pitted barrel. I was thinking about filling the barrel with CLR cleaner. did anyone ever try that product? thanks

I know Mr. Hoyt is highly spoken of but I really don’t want it to be another caliber! The reason for this rifle was for my 12 and 10-year-old to use in hunting deer with me. Since I hunt with
a 50 Cal ideally they would use one too. Keeps it simple. So if the barrel needs re bored then I would probably sell the gun.
With the total random pattern and shredded patches the general consensus is the putting in the barrel? Would it be worth having a smith lap the barrel?
Woodenbowi can give that a try.
Thanks
Bob can make it anything you want 40/45 /50 or ? just call him/Ed

So I have backed off the load to 60 grains of 3F Tripple 7. It seemed to do even better. More than accurate enough for my boys to hunt with.

Last I heard a rebore by Mr Hoyt cost about $200. The last couple of rebores he did for me cost $150 plus my shipping cost to him. Best to call and ask. He has no internet or website.
I just got a New Englander barrel back from him. 50 cal relined and bored .40/407. It took about 5 weeks and cost 230.00 including shipping. This is the nicest looking bore I’ve seen from Bobby and there have been quite a few.

Just a passing thought...
Maybe if you was to get that fifty smooth bored just to the extext that it cleaned up then using a little thicker patch is all it would need. And, when loaded with shot it could also be like a .410 for the boys.

I checked and Track of the Wolf still carries Green Mountain replacement barrels for these. I would try more steel wool and a togher patch or try a bit of wasp nest under the patch. It may help. Cotton drill fabric comes in different thickness and is very tightly woven and tough. Might help.

Last edited:
The only one that shows to be in stock is the 1 in 28 twist Long Range Hunter. The others have all been on backorder forever.

Back