• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Lock parts interchangability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol Red

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Before I haul off and order $30.00 or so worth of new parts to complete a "partial" TC flint lock, do percussion lock parts interchange with flint lock parts?

Reason I asked was that looking at Numrich's parts list I noticed that most "small" parts were offered in both "flintlock" and "percussion" versions. Same part number, but with a different suffix. :confused:

TIA for the help.

Since I don't own a T/C gun, I can't say for sure. Having said that, why not just call T/C and ask them? Then you could order the needed parts from them at the same time. Some times the only difference between percussion and flint locks (other than the plate and obvious parts) is the mainspring and tumbler; percussion sometimes using the stirrup instead of the direct bearing tail of the mainspring on the tumbler itself of the flintlock.

Ol Red said:
Before I haul off and order $30.00 or so worth of new parts to complete a "partial" TC flint lock, do percussion lock parts interchange with flint lock parts?

Reason I asked was that looking at Numrich's parts list I noticed that most "small" parts were offered in both "flintlock" and "percussion" versions. Same part number, but with a different suffix. :confused:

TIA for the help.

The following lock parts are the same whether cap or flint:

Hammer screw
sear (See Note)
sear spring
sear spring plunger
Sear / tumbler bridle plate & screws (see note)
Tumbler
Fly
Mainspring
Mainspring guide rod

Note: different style bridle plates & sear pivots were changed in both type locks at the same time, so you'd need to know which you have and which you're installing into.

Specifically, the old style sear had a pivot hole through it which a long screw that went through that pivot hole from the back side and screwed into the side plate.

New style sears simply have a pivot stud on either side of the sear, one to go into a pivot hole in the side plate, the other to go in a pivot hole in the tumble/sear bridle plate.

I see that Roundbll posted your answer while I was typing mine. So there ya go! Emery

Roundball;

Thanks neighbor!

I figured the parts would swap out, especially in the older locks I have. All I need to order then will be a frizzen spring and screw, then maybe later send it back to TC for the new style cock.

Ol Red said:
Roundball;

Thanks neighbor!

I figured the parts would swap out, especially in the older locks I have. All I need to order then will be a frizzen spring and screw, then maybe later send it back to TC for the new style cock.

Yeah, the only wrinkle is the type sear you have will dictate what type tumbler bridle you'll need.

The cock and frizzen should both be upgraded to the improved versions and don't forget the redesigned vent liner...provides extremely fast ignition.

:surrender: OK, the joke's on me :cursing:

I bought a "partial" lock based on less than good photos. "ASS"umed that it was TC and I could order the "few" missing parts. Well, what I actaully received was the lockplate, tumbler, mainspring and cock minus the top jaw and screw. IOW, whatever someone cold not easily remove from the lock.

When I first tried to swap out the sear I found that the angles weren't gong to get along. Wouldn't stay cocked.

Closer look at the lockplate itself showed a MAJOR difference in the finish, plus the "sear pivot hole" was THREADED!!!

I figure what I got was a partial CVA lock that used two screws rather that TC's single one.

At any rate I now have an "extra" TC percussion lock, complete and in excellent condition in case I find a rifle/stock with a nasty corroded lock.

In this "learn as you go" business the "hard" lessons are the ones we remember best.

Thanks to everyone for the information that will surely come in handy sometime in the future.

Sure glad I didn't sent this one to TC for "repair". :redface:

I get the impression mainsprings are different as Cains lists mainspring-flint and mainspring-percussion. Have no idea what the difference is but the redesigned flintlock may have something to do with it.

Back