• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC old locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
With everyone converting the old TC locks to the newer better ones,do you think the ones with the old locks might end up becoming collectable?

Yes, it will be a collectible.,,. to someone....

200 years from now they will say "That is a old T/C lock, the original version ! WOW !!..... back when the actually shot lead bullets !!" :shocked2:

:thumbsup:

If I understand it right all that needs to be changed is the cock and frizen. So I doubt that there will be a bunch of old locks around.
Old Charlie

Old Charlie said:
If I understand it right all that needs to be changed is the cock and frizen. So I doubt that there will be a bunch of old locks around.
Old Charlie

Actually, just about every lock component has gone through an improvement stage over the life of TC's flint locks, including the side plate...but most of those had been completed and stabilized by the 90's...the 2 major performance design improvements of the mid to late 90's that finally perfected the lock operation are the two you mentioned...a much taller hammer with a better angle of attack into the frizzen, and a harder frizzen (jet black color, not case colored).

But regardless, I'd be surprised if an older style TC Flint lock assembly became much of a collectors item...it's not like some really radical change was made...TC just kept tinkering with them until they got it right.

Round Ball could you possibly post a picture showing an old and a new TC lock ?
I think I have old style locks on my TCs but they work well after I put Lyman frizzens on them.

sundog said:
Round Ball could you possibly post a picture showing an old and a new TC lock ?
I think I have old style locks on my TCs but they work well after I put Lyman frizzens on them.

OLD STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY...note severe "S" shape to hammer, and the "notch" in the back edge of the hammer at about 12 o'clock right above the hammer mounting screw...also, the hammer is quite short with the bottom jaw just barely clearing the "fence"...and the frizzen is case colored.
TCFlintlockOldStylecloseuprightside.jpg

NEW STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY”¦note much more gentle “S” curve shape (and no notch), it’s much taller with the lower jaw clearing much higher above the fence, the frizzen is solid jet black color.

PS: Note TC's huge new style vent liner.

SAVE5CLOSEUPNewStyleLockArea800REDU.jpg

Do I understand this correctly, to upgrade my old, late '80s T/C lock, all I have to do is simply replace the cock and the frizzen? I can still use the old face plate and everything behind it, with the new cock being properly posistioned on the old faceplate?

msj

If I lived where you lived, I'd just drive over to TC and ask them what they can to make your lock more reliable so you can count on it every time and get better flint life.
They'll either install a new hammer & frizzen, or may just grab a new lock off the shelf and swap it with you.

To be true, Roundball, Thompson Center is only 41.14 miles door-to-door from my house. However, whereas I recently purchased a new frizzen for my Renegade (the former one has a distinct divit cut into and across its center), I sort of figured that springing for a new cock wouldn't be a very big deal (probably less expensive than the gas driving to Rochester and back.) Anyway, since I already have the new frizzen, will putting the new cock on the old lock do the trick? Is the new cock compatible with an older lock? Believe it or not, I called T/C and they were very uncooperative regards my upgrading the lock. In fact, I was told that the newer locks were IN-compatible with my '80s era Renegade. However, I have my doubts that the woman I spoke with knew what she was talking about. Perhaps I'll call them again tomorrow. I realize the Renegade is long out of production and that T/C has really wandered far from the tradition ML. However, they still do produce the Hawken; and I had assumed the locks for the Renegade and the Hawken were interchangable. Perhaps I am mistaken in that assumption. I will check further on that. Although I have managed over the years to get my Renegade to spark well enough, it does eat through flints faster than Homer Simpson can eat through a plater of BBQ pork ribs; and I really would like to get more life out of my flints.

msj

NHmsj said:
Anyway, since I already have the new frizzen, will putting the new cock on the old lock do the trick? Is the new cock compatible with an older lock?
Since it is a late 80's lock I think you said, it may well have all the improved internals...the other remaining improvements are the new hammer asm and frizzen.

Yes, the new style hammer asm fits any TC flintlock asm...so if you just add the new hammer assembly you'll probably be in good shape.

Yes, there is only one size TC Flint lock asm and it fits all of TC's Flintlock muzzleloaders regardless of model.

NOTE: The old style top jaw and jaw screw do not work on the new style hammer...all three new parts must be acquired so you have a comple new style hammer asm, and yes, it's designed to mount right on all TC lock's tumbler shaft.

From my personal experience, 3/4"w x 7/8"L Tom Fuller black english flints by far and away give the best performance in TC locks, with long flint life of any I've tried.

NOTE: Be careful removing the old style hammer if its tight...don't be tempted to slide a screwdriver blade under the hammer and pry it up off the tumbler shaft...you'll mar the side plate finish and can snap off the tumbler shaft.

My two Hawken Locks were sent back and I received two new updated locks.Second one was sent back twice till I got the satsfaction I wanted..One rifle was a mid 90's model and it slipped right in the stock..My other rifle was bought in 1976 and I had to relieve a little excess wood around the area where the trigger return spring boss is,not much work at all 5/10 minutes.Shoild not be a problem at all with your renegade same locks...Ray

Hey fellas,

Thanks for the info regards the T/C locks. It would seem I have a couple of options to play with. I can either just replace the hammer and accompanying parts myself (maybe $30.00) or give up use of my rifle for awhile and send in the old lock to T/C and maybe get a whole new lock. Either way, I suppose, I get a better sparker. Hmmmmmmmmm.... :hmm:

Back