• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Patriot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about getting my first muzzy pistol.Considdering the TC Patriot.36 OR 45?What load can I expect to shoot with them and what kind of accuracy at what range?

I don't think you will be unhappy with a .45 cal Patriot. The ball will carry better than the lighter .36 cal. You might also have or get a rifle that shoots the same size ball as the .45 cal., .440 ball.
The load I use in my .45 Patriot is approx 20-24 gr FFFG. There really isn't a need to go any heavier, and Thompson does not recommend you exceed the ( I believe...) 24 gr load. I'd have to dig out the info sheet I got from Thompson on that.
Be aware the Patriot is no longer being made because the factory burned. Thompson has a dynamite warranty on their products that cannot be beat. They will repair the Patriots still.
You can expect to pay a good price for the pistol if you find one in good shape and has not been abused.
With all that being said, those pistols are tack drivers. The stocks are walnut and not the mystery hardwood you will find on the imported knock-offs. The lock is smooth and the triggers crisp. The wood to metal fit and finish on my pistols is very good. I can't say the same for the import jobs that I have seen.
You might be able to pick up an import job for less than what you can expect to pay for a good Patriot. The imports will shoot, and some quite well. How well the pistol fits your hand and your budget is another consideration.
The Patriot is made in the good old U.S.A. If a pistol doesn't have that on the barrel, I might be inclined to pass it by. :thumbsup:

On the patriot, the triggers are bass ackwards!
Other than that, in a .45, there isnt much out there that will match it!
What kind of groups can you expect????
with a light to moderat load, say 15 grains (+/-)
and knowing how to shoot and having a good technique and grip down pat for repeatability purposes, I would gander at expecting sub 3 inch groups at 25 yds without use of a bench or rest.

I shoot a Patriot 45 in competition and won a few blue ribbons with it. Other top shooters shoot a Patriot too. A Patriot is a tack driver with the right load. I only shoot 15 grains of 3F - don't need much for punching holes in paper at 25 yards. There aren't many Patriots around, but they can be found with some looking. They seem to pop up on the gun auction sites with fair regularity. Do your self a favor and spend the extra money to get one. You'll be much better off with it as compared to a cheap knock-off.

Tom,

Dixon's has 'em once in a while!

Remember to not overload it! I've seen many a Patriot with a cracked stock. Some say that it's a design flaw, and one that they're willing to put up with, since they don't plan on abusing it. Look real close for hairline cracks where the breech comes into contact with the stock. Go so far as to remove the barrel and look inside. Then pay your money!

Good luck and maybe I'll see you at Dixon's some time!

Dave

"...Remember to not overload it! I've seen many a Patriot with a cracked stock...."
-----------
It's sad when a fine gun is damaged by Magnumosis (Morbid condition of a Magnum load).

If folks would only realize that super powerful loads is not what black powder shooting and muzzle loading is all about we wouldn't see as many damaged stocks and grips.

So I can figure about 3" groups at 25yds?
I was planning on a 36cal for close range squirrel.

I think brett sr said sub 3 inch groups indicating that 3 inches would be a max but, boy, so much depends on the shooter with a hand gun it's hard to say what you will really get.

When I shot .22 pistols competitively (and I use the term loosely) another guy on my team using the same kind of gun I was using could consistently shoot 3/4 inch groups at 25 yards (slow fire) while my groups were more like 1 1/2 inches on a good day.
Others using similar pistols were doing good to get 4 inch groups and a few couldn't hold a 6 inch group.

If you are one of those rare "3/4 inch group" shooters I would expect a properly loaded Patriot to shoot about a 1 inch group.

Zonie said:
I think brett sr said sub 3 inch groups indicating that 3 inches would be a max but, boy, so much depends on the shooter with a hand gun it's hard to say what you will really get.

When I shot .22 pistols competitively (and I use the term loosely) another guy on my team using the same kind of gun I was using could consistently shoot 3/4 inch groups at 25 yards (slow fire) while my groups were more like 1 1/2 inches on a good day.
Others using similar pistols were doing good to get 4 inch groups and a few couldn't hold a 6 inch group.

If you are one of those rare "3/4 inch group" shooters I would expect a properly loaded Patriot to shoot about a 1 inch group.

Exactly.

There are those that are content with getting on paper and those that expect repeatable groups.

Whichever floats your boat! the only one that you need to make happy is you!

I learned long ago about repeatability, grip, stance, breating and sight picture and the ability to tune everything around you out!. It helps.
But bottom line, the guy standing next to me on the line with a big smile on his face and holes all over his target is probably having more fun than me because I had a flyer and blew my group.

Back to the TC...if the barrel isnt dinged up at the crown nor pitted inside, it should do SUB 3 inches at 25 yards with proper controls!
We have a fellow in our group that shows up once in a while, shots a patriot....can usually do a 2inch group/10 shots at 25yds with an occasional flyer.

The Patriot will shoot fine (10's and x's at 25 yds.) if you can do your part. I have a .45 and shoot 20 gr. of FFFG (that's planty) with a .445 ball and prelubed .018 patches. As has been stated, they are hard to find good ones, especially the .36, nearly impossible. Hope you find one.

See ya, Jim/OH :v

ZonieIf folks would only realize that super powerful loads is not what black powder shooting and muzzle loading is all about we wouldn't see as many damaged stocks and grips.[/quote said:
'Ain't ever gonna happen, Zonie. "Bigger is better" afterall.

My Patriot loves an 18 grain load with a tight fitting pillow ticking patch. I've shot a lot of 25 grain loads in it too and it's quite accurate with that load. No stock damage yet, but I don't intend to keep pushing my luck.

One negative about the Patriot is that the triggers are downright horrid. A little stoning turns them into the sweetest trigger you could ever ask for, but they're sure rough from the factory. Even with a trigger job, my Patriot's trigger doesn't hold a candle to the Traditions Trapper, which adjusted out to one of the most crisp and precise triggers I've ever felt on a muzzleloader. Accuracy wise, they're very close also. If the Patriot isn't available, the Trapper would make a good stand-in. I keep hoping to find an affordable Patriot in .36 some day.

Back