• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Pennsylvania Hunter Issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtsage

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I picked up a TC Pennsylvania Hunter, 50 cal, at a estate clearance. The fellow who is no longer with us was a target shooter evidently. As you may know this model of flintlock TC came with a single trigger. Well he replaced the single trigger with a double set trigger. Here is my issue. The original tang bolt that holds the original single trigger in place will no longer work on a double trigger in place as there is no hole in the plate of the double trigger plate. So the tang bolt that was in it now holds nothing. Just plugs the tang hole. It is a bolt and not a wood screw. And you cannot drill a hole in the double trigger plate as there is no room to drill. So short of going back to a single trigger and finding a new trigger guard, what are my options? Yes he replaced the original trigger guard as the original was not large enough for 2 trigger setup.
Should I fill the wood hole in the stock with a dowel, and then drill a hole in it and sink a wood screw thru the tang hole, or place some kind of a screw holding mechanism in the hole for the screw/bolt to thread into? The tang on a Penn Hunter has 2 holes. One for wood screw and the other for the tang bolt. I think my options are limited. What say you?
Thanks,
Marlowe

I am not u derstanding what is holding the trigger in place but if is secure, I like your ideal of putting a dowel and using a wood screw
The new double trigger has a wood screw holding its plate on the stock. Because the new double trigger plate doesn't have a hole for the tang bolt to screw into what should I do with the tang bolt attach method.

I'd be curious if this started out as one of the target models of Penn. Hunter to begin with. If so, those are rare and may be worth scrounging up the stuff to put it back original. I think the only thing that set it apart from the standard was the barrel and sights but would have to consult my literature to confirm.

All of the older TCs had wood screws holding the tang down.

The tang screw holes on a TC Hawken stock I bought were stripped out so I went with bushings like in the above-mentioned link. These are a pain to put in.

tang bushings in.JPG

Done;

tang bolts.JPG

I have several custom muzzleloaders and they have wood screws holding the tang in place. Never had a problem with it. Just glue a plug in the bolt hole, redrill and put an appropriate looking wooden screw in. No need to over complicate it.
I agree. Looks like that might be my plan. I will post some pics of behind lock.

I'd be curious if this started out as one of the target models of Penn. Hunter to begin with. If so, those are rare and may be worth scrounging up the stuff to put it back original. I think the only thing that set it apart from the standard was the barrel and sights but would have to consult my literature to confirm.
Thanks. I will post some more pics soon of behind the lock. Thanks.

Here are a few more pics of the TC Penn Hunter. The original lock was replaced with a L&R lock by the orig. owner. Nice. Behind the lock you can see the stainless bolt that was installed and really held nothing. No, not my idea. Also you can see the double trigger used the inlet for the trigger guard. And you can see in one of the pics the drilled holes for the new, not fitting, not original, trigger guard. I have some work to figure out that mess. And finally I have included a pic of the front sight and the light showing under the sight and the dovetail as well.
Indy Durtdidgger from an above post was wondering if this was an original target version. Can anybody expand on that?

I'm leaning on just plugging the hole with a wood dowel and using a wood screw thru the tang hole. Or, replacing the double set triggers for a single set version. And trying to find a single trigger guard to replace the not so pretty one now used. I did get this rifle at a VERY good price.

IMG_0893.jpgIMG_0894.jpgIMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I converted a Renagade the opposite way I went from a double set to a single trigger the later made rifles all had a tang bolt into the trigger plate the same trigger is used on all models except for the Seneca and Cherokee you just have to find one ebay is your best source to look just ask questions before buying

You can plug that space behind the trigger plate with a piece of wood and if you match the stain fairly close the repair won't be too noticeable once the trigger guard is installed.
What I don't like is the new trigger guard that was put on after the double trigger install. You can see the 2 mounting holes where the guard goes. Would like to find a smaller one that would sit close in to the trigger plate. Or knew somebody that could build me one. Way beyond my talent with that part. Thanks for the input Sir.

Back