• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Trap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody have a TC Precussion .45, and if so, how do you like it? Found one in a pawnshop for $219, haven't looked at it as of yet, but called on it and they say its in pretty good shape. Let me know....

They also had a .54 for $299 as well.....

Can't help you with the .45 but the price sounds good. I own .54 and .58's and they work best for my purposes, hunting and target shooting, round ball and conicals.

I have one and like it. But then almost all of my rifles are 45's. My first muzzleloading rifle was a 45 and I have stuck with that caliber. except for two 36's for the boys when they were young.

I had a TC Hawkens in .45 caliber back in the 80's and plan to buy another TC Hawkens and get an aftermarket drop in 45 barrel for it.

It's a sweet caliber to shoot :)

I have a T.C. .45cal Hawken from the 1970's a very sweet shooting rifle. Try to get them under $200.00 then pounce.
Good Luck.
BPWRL

I have one i bought over Memorial Day holiday. I can get one ragged hole at 25 yards when i do my part.It will shoot 1 to 2 inch group at 50 yards with .440 roundballs & 45 grn of fffg Goex.

I have a .45 drop in barrel that I bought at a gun show for $40. It was from a Kit gun but the guy only had the barrel. Cleaned up nicely and shoots great. Seems ok with 20 to 65 grains of fff and a .445 ball. Not big enough for big game in CO and not small enough for small game but OTOH it sure is fun to shoot.

Just put my TC Tang mounted aperture on it and plan to use it calling coyotes after the real hunting seasons are over. :)

I found a .45 TC Hawken last summer, used for $230. I thought it was a good buy, as it was in excellent shape. It drives tacks at 50meters with 70gr 3f goex felt wad and 245gr maxi's. sweet shooter!!

See if you can get him to go down a little. If not, it's still a good price on the .45. In Alabama, we can use a .45 for big game. I have a .45 cal. Blue Ridge that will do fine with round balls. I just picked up a 45 caliber 220 grain T/C Maxi mold off ebay and was going to give them a try. I picked up a .54 T/C Hawkens off one of the auction sites for $200 a few years ago and it loves the 400 grain T/C Maxis. Good luck :thumbsup:

I found one at the Gun Show last weekend they wanted $400.00 I just shook my head and walked off. I only paid $450.00 for my new TC 50 cal flint lock.

bpwrl said:
I have a T.C. .45cal Hawken from the 1970's a very sweet shooting rifle. Try to get them under $200.00 then pounce.
Good Luck.
BPWRL

Agreed, make them an offer. Traditional style Muzzleloaders are are slow movers in pawn shops. I'm sure he has $100, or less, in it (probably $50 - $75 is more likely). Bolt action and single shot .22's are also slow movers. I just purchased a Marlin .22 magnum, tube fed bolt action, with scope and got it for an $80 offer.

Make him an offer, don't be afraid to dicker and more importantly don't be afraid to walk out and leave it on the shelf. I collect .22 Winchester model 67's, and I've left quite a few on the shelves of pawn shops whose owners wouldn't deal.

Oh, I know how those pawn shops work. From many years as a property detective in charge of pawn shop details, I usually know exactly what they have into every item in the pawn shop....

The only muzzleloader I own is a TC hawken percussion 45. I love this rifle. It is a great shooter and I have harvested many a deer with it. I have had to track a few deer (heart and lung shot) for 100yds. One deer who was heart shot with the conical breaking it's front leg on the exit side still went 100yds and hid in a deadfall. I imagine that even happens with the larger calibers too. Good luck to you.

Speed Trap,

I've got one and it is a shooter. Would have had another one but had a moment of stupid and asked myself why I needed two. The first I picked up for $60.00 and the one I passed on I could'a had for $75.00. The traditional type guns don't fetch much around here anymore. I'm going to an auction on the 29th and going to try to pick up a couple of White Mountain Carbines that are going to be on the block. I'll bet neither goes for over $100.00. Everyone wants inlines and scopes. Better for me I guess :grin:
Get the .45 for a good price and you won't be disapointed.

Best,

Schützenkette

I have a TC Hawken in 45 and it's my round ball target rifle. Nice shooter. For hunting I have other Hawken rifles in 50& 54 cal. At the asking price, if it's in good shape you can't go wrong.

just won a tc renegade on gun broker. 180.00 .54 cal in mint shape.now between my 11 yearold son and i we have two renegades and two hawkens. :)

Latest posts

Back