• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade .54 report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot my TC .54 saturday for the 1st time. Had to do a little sight adjusting but after a few shots it is dead on. At 50yds I put 3 shots thru one hole and the other 2 shots were about an inch away. I used a TC 360 gr. maxiball and 95 gr. of Goex. About how much approx. drop will I have at 100 yds (just so I know how big of a pc. of cardboard I need to take along).
I did TRY to use a PRB, but it seems a .530 ball and a TC .015 "buttered" patch is very tight.
Do I just pound it down the bore or ??
Thanks for any help!!

Sounds like that rifle is a shooter! Yes the PRB will be quite tight. You will exert some force in starting the ball, no doubt. Don,t pound it down the bbl. Use a short start and even pressure. It will definately be much harder to get down than a conical which seals into the lands and grooves after ignition because the hollow base flares due to the pressure created when firing.
Good shootin!

Mull Dover said:
It will definately be much harder to get down than a conical which seals into the lands and grooves after ignition because the hollow base flares due to the pressure created when firing.
Yes, there was the minnie-ball with its thin skirt back during the Civil War, designed to pressure flare when fired because the bullet was intentionally undersized, in order to repeatedly load into a fouled barrel when in battle...and the thin flaring skirt tried to compensate for the undersize.

But actually, the maxi-balls he's shooting are flat based...the driving bands of a flat based bullet are "cut through" by the ends of the lands at the muzzle when they are short-started/punched in...this rifling engagement is maintained during seating & firing and is what transmits the rotation when fired.

And once the ends of the lands have punched through the driving bands, the conical is essentially a little loose (like the minnie-balls were) and care must be taken while walking/still hunting that the conical doesn't accidently work up off the powder charge and become a barrel obstruction.

dustystones said:
Shot my TC .54 saturday for the 1st time. Had to do a little sight adjusting but after a few shots it is dead on. At 50yds I put 3 shots thru one hole and the other 2 shots were about an inch away. I used a TC 360 gr. maxiball and 95 gr. of Goex. About how much approx. drop will I have at 100 yds (just so I know how big of a pc. of cardboard I need to take along).
I did TRY to use a PRB, but it seems a .530 ball and a TC .015 "buttered" patch is very tight.

Thanks for any help!!

About how much approx. drop will I have at 100 yds 3 to 5 inches...I sight in daed on at 25 yrds and that makes me about 2.5 high at 50 yards and then dead on-ish at 100 yrds. 90 grs of Pyro Rs and a 385 gr connical out of a .50

[/u][/b] Yes pop-er down there. the ballistics will be less favorable on the PRB; In my .54 I am dead on at 25, 2.5 to 3 high at 50, and 2-ish low at 100 useing 80 grs on Pyro RS and a .530 ball and .015 patch.

I wouldn't pound it down the bore -- oblong balls have terrible ballistic characteristics :grin: Try different patch/ball size combos and ditto on the short starter.

Back