• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC White Mtn Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570Tom

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just traded for a T/C White Mountain Carbine in 50 cal. Does anyone have a favorite load for these short barrel rifles?

Thanks.

Whitetail always shot 50 grains in his and liked the results. He wasn't the greatest shooter but he sure enjoyed that little white mountain.

A friend used 60g of Pyrodex rs and a .490 round ball in his, and always filled his tag.

Mine is a .54; I have good results with 60 gr under a .530 prb and 0.018 ticking. Spit or dried Ballistol/water lubed.

My notes say 50 gr was pretty good too, not much difference between that and 60 gr.

Does anyone know if the rate of twist is the standard T/C 1-48, or did these rifles have a different rate of twist?

If you have the gun in hand, you can determine the exact ROT yourself. Go up to Member Resources on the Index page to this forum, then scroll down to "articles, charts, and links". Click on Articles, and look for the article there that explains how to determine the ROT. Its easy to do, one you understand how. :thumbsup:

4570Tom said:
Does anyone know if the rate of twist is the standard T/C 1-48, or did these rifles have a different rate of twist?

Depending on when it was made, it can have a number of twist rates. Some even had a 1:20 twist.
+1 what Paul said.

.50 cal WMC were made with a 1-20 twist for a year or three, not sure when but T/C then switched to a 1-38 twist rate in this rifle. I had a 4 digit ser# that was a 1-20 twist, I bought it soon as one came in the shop the first year of production. About 3 years later we went and bought two more for cousins and was surprised they had a different 1-38 twist rate.

.50 cal were never 1-48 twist rate, the .54 was I do know.

I have one with a 5 digit serial number. It has a 1:38" rate of twist and it shoots round balls quite well with moderate loads out to 50 yards. It's a joy to carry deer hunting, I'm going to try some conicals in it.
Regards
Bob

Thompson Center's web site says the White Mountain Carbine barrels had the following twist rates:

.45 cal: 1 in 48
.50 cal: 1 in 38
.54 cal: 1 in 48

However, there were some departures, such as the 1:20 in the early barrels.

mykeal said:
Thompson Center's web site says the White Mountain Carbine barrels had the following twist rates:

.45 cal: 1 in 48
.50 cal: 1 in 38
.54 cal: 1 in 48

However, there were some departures, such as the 1:20 in the early barrels.

Yes the WMC .45 and .54 were 1-48 twist. The .50 was produced with a 1-20 twist at least 2 years then switched to a 1-38 twist as I said in a previous post. I know this because I had a friend at the time who had one of the best jobs in the world, he test fired T/C guns with all kinds of stuff. He used to send me all kinds of conical to try and give him feedback. He has since left T/C and got a job at Ruger.

I tried 70gr 3f swiss, felt wad and 385 Great Plains last fall. Excellent accuracy out to 100yds. Never saw anyting close enough to shoot at. But my confidence level was high!!

My load for my White Mtn Carbine is 80 grains Swiss FFG and a Lee REAL 250 grain conical. One ragged hole at 75 yards. I also installed a large aperture peep sight on mine. 5 deer have fallen to this little gun and that load so far.

Mine likes 70 grains Goex FFG with a patched .490" round ball lubed with Bore Butter....

A friend of mine that hunts with me used one last year. His load was a 460 gr paper patched Lee
C-501-440-RF over 80 gr of Pyrodex P with an over powder wad. It worked like a charm. Ron

Johndeer02-a.jpg

Latest posts

Back