• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teaching the son-in-law to skin beaver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My son-in-law had the great misfortune of growing up in Manhattan, then living in the DC area. He'd never seen a flintlock other than in a movie, so I've taught him how to load and shoot one. He and my daughter are down for Christmas, and he wants to learn hunting and trapping, so I've taken him hunting a couple times this week. Yesterday we bagged a beaver, and he wanted to learn to skin it, so I did my best at teaching him. It was a bit amusing, let's just say you can tell which half I skinned and which half he skinned. :wink: But I remember when I was just learning to skin, so I have a lot of sympathy.

Its good to have a born and bred big city guy take an interest in these things, so I've been giving him a lot of encouragement.

Teach me how next. The only one I ever skinned took a couple of hours. That hide had to be separated from the carcass with a knife, it wouldn't pull like every other skinning job I've done.

I did eat the small backstraps. I wouldn't skin another. :td:

Not sure about the back straps cooked as is, but the tail cooked straight on some hardwood coals is good. And the rest of the meat ground up makes great meatloaf, meatballs, or Salisbury Steak.

The whole hide does need to be "cut "away. But with a rounded beaver knife its not that long of a job. fleshing the hide however.....

I helped a friend of mine skin a few beavers he trapped. He told me that the meat was very tasty, so he gave me half. I cubed it and used in a venison stew recipe, and it tasted great.

Back