• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tell me about this mechanism

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlaporte

Pilgrim
Reaction score

Hello Folks
I am just hoping that someone can tell me something about this mechanism. It was made in Cork, Ireland probably by James Bowls who was a gunsmith in Cork in the late 1700's. I know about the family but nothing about this piece with his name on it. Would you think that would be about the correct date for this mechanism? The striker looks like just a piece of steel or is it actually just missing the top piece of the clamp which would normally hold the flint? What would the two holes at the back of it be for? The fellow who has it stuck a cord through them but I think more likely they were for fastening the mechanism to the stock. Was this for a pistol or for a rifle? I see that the gunpowder would flash in the pan at the bottom but how would that flash travel through to the barrel to ignite the gunpowder in there? Does anyone have any other comments about this piece?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom

Well I suppose I linked the photos incorrectly but hopefully you can still see the pictures if you copy the links to your browser????

Yes... a cannon lock.
during the Napoleonic wars, all heavy guns in the Royal Navy were fired using flintlocks. Its one of the technological advantages exploited by the the RN that allowed British ships to fire faster and more accurately than most of their enemies who were often still using match cord and linstocks.

TomL: Welcome to the MLF :) . Stick around and look us over. I'm sure you will find many things of interest to you here.

The use of these also eliminated the need to have a source of fire on the cannon decks which contributed somewhat to safety (as if standing anywhere on a cannon deck during an engagement could be thought of as safe). :)

Thanks folks
I had no idea it would be such an interesting mechanism. Is it unusual that it was made in Ireland?
It looks just a bit more primitive than the other examples I could find with google images. How early would this one likely be?
Tom

Hard telling how old it is. Info on the maker would help.
This is a mockup on the "Master and Commander" ship in San Diego with the other floating museums.
Illustrates function.

IMGP1702.jpg

Dan

I think the Brits were the first to use them on cannon and probably not much before 1800 if I recall its been a while since I read about them and the source book is gone now so things are a bit foggy, others will likley home in closer if need be.

The maker, I believe, was James Bowls of Cork, county Cork who had a gunsmith shop there in the 1790's or his son, Joseph Bowls, if it was more like in the 1820's.

Latest posts

Back