• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Temp rear sight for my NWTG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a week back I put together a temporary rear sight to see how accurate my NWTG is with roundball. Using 60 grains Goex FF, a .60 ball and some spit-moistened sisal tow over the top I was pretty happy with my first test. I used a flexible fridge magnet, thin strand wire from a twisted wire, and cut a cylinder from a .22 LR case. It worked well and didn’t move much. I indexed it back on the breach plug to barrel seam each time it did move. 40 yards decent group so far. I’ll likely put a low profile rear sight on this gun.

IMG_3652.jpegIMG_3649.jpegIMG_3648.jpegIMG_3647.jpegIMG_3646.jpeg

A good idea to serve the purpose. I've used epoxy that comes off with a little heat but a magnet is a better idea. I've seen a couple of original trade guns that had a rear sight made by using a sharp chisel to curl some metal up and then file a notch in it. These were later percussion guns from British Columbia. Probably too low to be of much use.

About a week back I put together a temporary rear sight to see how accurate my NWTG is with roundball. Using 60 grains Goex FF, a .60 ball and some spit-moistened sisal tow over the top I was pretty happy with my first test. I used a flexible fridge magnet, thin strand wire from a twisted wire, and cut a cylinder from a .22 LR case. It worked well and didn’t move much. I indexed it back on the breach plug to barrel seam each time it did move. 40 yards decent group so far. I’ll likely put a low profile rear sight on this gun.

View attachment 350495View attachment 350496View attachment 350497View attachment 350498View attachment 350499
I have used modeling clay for a temporary sight when testing a load. But that is not my first choice.

I’m a great fan of whomping up a temporary sight , front or back , to test out how things will work. I use plastic, them copy it in metal if my design works.

This original French smoothbore that was originally a flintlock was built with this unmentionable sighting setup.
Have owned others with same sighting arrangement.
I believe this pistol with it's iron ramrod & carving was built for a military officer.
The old timer builders were clever hombres 😂

Attachments

• Flint to perc pistol, top view photo.jpg
    Flint to perc pistol, top view photo.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
This original French smoothbore that was originally a flintlock was built with this unmentionable sighting setup.
Have owned others with same sighting arrangement.
I believe this pistol with it's iron ramrod & carving was built for a military officer.
The old timer builders were clever hombres 😂

A guy that would think up a refrigerator magnet, wire and .22 case sight is a pretty clever hombres too. ; )

Interesting but I hate to tell you, a rear sight that you have to "reset" every shot is not going to give you any kind of repeatable accuracy. Even movement of less than 1mm can shift your grouping dramatically.

But good proof of concept. I imagine a small brass tube soldered to a dovetail blank would make for a neat peep sight. It could become bent, though, so perhaps a steel tube might be better.

I recall some early matchlocks had similar styles of tube peeps.

I agree completely. This is just a temp solution to test how accurate the gun can be with a rear site until I build a permanent one.

Let me add my $0.02. A rear sight on a SB does make aiming faster and more precise, but you can do as well, if not as quickly, with a good load and consistent cheek weld. Btw, I made one from a piece of [very old] brass O Scale rail that I Crazy Glued to the bbl. of my NW Trade Gun (Green River Forge). In setting the sight up, I discovered the bbl. flats were not cut square to the rest of the bbl., which was obvious to me. I removed the sight and had to re-brown the bbl., but the sight did make a positive difference.

Last edited:
Back