• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tennessee Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefcj

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any thoughts or experiences from you guys about the Tennessee rifle? I have seen a few online from places like traditions and was wondering if anyone has or has handled one?
I am from East Tennessee which provides all the influence I need to get one in the future but I thought, like a smart shopper, I would get some feedback.

Thanks Gents,

CJ

I've been building for @ 20 years and have found that the Tennesee style are the most comfortable to shoot and the most attractive IMHO. It's the style I personally shoot in calibers from .32 to .58 in both rifled and smooth bore[my favorite!] Not as fancy as the Pennsylvania style I also build, but more practicle as a work gun.
Pathfinder

I don't know what distinguishes a Tennessee Rifle from a Kentucky and Pennsylvania Rifle. I guess I picture what you guys are talking about as the "Southern Mountain Rifle" in the TOTW catalog.

Would one of you kindly explain this for me. I've been contemplating a flintlock Southern Mountain Rifle.......I'm good at contemplating, my wife refers to it as procrastinating, but......

Regards, Vic

i would also like to know. I noticed minor differenced but nothing that jumps out at you. I have looked at several lancaster styles and really like the early. So Ive decided to build one. :bow:

TraderVic said:
I don't know what distinguishes a Tennessee Rifle from a Kentucky and Pennsylvania Rifle. I guess I picture what you guys are talking about as the "Southern Mountain Rifle" in the TOTW catalog.

Would one of you kindly explain this for me. I've been contemplating a flintlock Southern Mountain Rifle.......I'm good at contemplating, my wife refers to it as procrastinating, but......

Regards, Vic

One of the things that jumps out at me with these rifles is the lack of adornment (i.e. very little in the way of brass or silver inlays, patchbox etc.)

I personally like iron mounted guns ... and so some of the "iron" Soutern style rifles ... having little or no carving ... plain and simple style ... draws me more often than not.

I am sure one or some of the more knowledgeble people here can enlighten us all much better.

Davy

I have DGW Tennessee Mtn. rifle. My wife got it for me as a kit some years ago. (It helps to leave the catalog with the item circled on the kitchen table)
I was attracted to its simple and clean lines. None of the brass foo-for-all and all that. Just the sort of gun that a common man would carry in the woods. :thumbsup:

Some glittering generalities about Tennessee Rifles based on my readings. Some of this has been mentioned by others.

The Tennessee area (and most southern states) had very few copper deposits but iron was rather common. Due to this, most of the southern guns used iron for the trigger guards, sideplates, toeplates, thimbles, nosecaps and buttplates.
As these parts were often hand forged, their designs were fairly simple. The trigger guards are often rather square looking and the rail was usually rather thin and close to the wrist ending in a forward facing or aft facing curl.

The comb of the buttstock is usually straight while the underside may be either straight or with a concave curve.
The stocks usually do not have the wide, flat butt plate which the older Pennsylvaia rifles have. The older Tennessee rifles have the medium width mildly curved shotgun style buttplates to the narrow, deeply hooked buttplates seen on the later mid 1800 guns.

Although many of these rifles have Walnut stocks, both plain and curly Maple stocks exist along with many other hard woods.

The rifles were made in both Flintlock and Caplock but most of the remaining original rifles are Caplocks.

The Tennessee rifles often have heavy barrels but the forestock is usually thin making the guns look light.

One of the unusual features found on the later guns was the long barrel tang. This sometimes extended the full length of the stocks wrist and has sometimes been found to extend up the front slope of the comb.

The trigger plate sometimes ran back along the underside of the wrist and the bolts between it and the barrel tang extended thru the wrist made a slender wrist without compromising strength.

Patchboxes were often omitted but this was not always the case. Either the elliptical shaped Capbox or a slender, long, iron patchbox with a pointed shape on each end (often called a banana style) was used.
Many of the guns which do not have patchboxes have a hole bored in the off side of the buttstock which many agree was used for patchgrease.

Inlays are rarely found but a few rifles have simple carving on the stock.

There are examples of rifles which have no buttplate, no toeplate, no ramrod entry thimble and no nosecap.

IMO, the scarcity of examples of all of the Southern rifles is due to many of them being destroyed by the North following the Civil War.

If I got any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself! I hope that most of them wore out from use rather than being destroyed by us northerners! :cursing:

Pathfinder

Thanks for the insightful history of the style of rifle in question. It certainly sounds like what I am used to seeing.

Thanks Again,

Chef CJ :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Did Tennessee Rifles typically have straight/tapered barrels or swamped barrels ?

Regards, Vic

TraderVic said:
Did Tennessee Rifles typically have straight/tapered barrels or swamped barrels ?

Regards, Vic
Both.

IMO, it largly depends on when the gun was made.
The early flintlocks were usually swamped, I suspect because the early gunmakers had been trained by the older gunsmiths from the coastal areas.

The Caplock era was at the start of the Machine age and straight factory rolled barrels were becoming common in the 1800s.

I don't believe the tapered barrels were used very much in the full stocked guns. At least, I haven't heard of them.

Zonie said:
Some glittering generalities about Tennessee Rifles based on my readings. Some of this has been mentioned by others.

The Tennessee area (and most southern states) had very few copper deposits but iron was rather common.

If I got any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me. :)

Down in the corner of TN, GA and NC was a large copper deposit that denuded the area's forest for many miles around. Part of this was due to usin' the wood in the mine at Copper Hill, TN, and part was the pollution from the smeltin' process. :winking:

Actually iron fixtures are more expensive than brass. But it don't glitter in the woods, where most good ol' boys got the bulk of their groceries. :thumbsup:

I notice you mention the Traditions brand and I'd caution you that if you really want a Tennessee rifle that ain't it. They just hung that name on a little carbine because they had to call it something, and preferably something catchy. :shake:

I second Joe's comment about the Traditions Tennessee, which is nothing more than a carbine version of the generic Kentucky rifle made in Spain and sold by Traditions and CVA. Without getting into full-blown custom guns, the only relatively correct Tennessee or Southern Mountain rifles of which I'm aware (I will be happy to be corrected on this) are sold by Dixie Gun Works and TVM. They're considerably more pricey than the Traditions gun, but the inclusion of the Traditions gun would make this an apples-to-oranges discussion (in other words -- if you want an apple, it doesn't matter how much the orange costs).

If I remember correctly, Cabela's sold a better looking rifle that didn't have the roman nose stock common to the traditions/ CVA/ Navy Arms "Kentucky". The rifles I remember had a nice thin butt with a graceful drop. They were in the main catalog for only a few years and were running about the same price as DGW's TN Mt. Rifle. I have no idea who made 'em, but they didn't look all that bad. I figured that they were made by Pedersoli, but I can find no trace of them on any either Cabela's or Pedersoli's websites now.

Skagun, sounds like you are describing the "Blue Ridge" which is a Pedersoli Frontier in Cabela's clothing. I've had disputes on this, but I really think DGW is done w/ the Tennessee Mountain rifle.

I own a Pedersoli Frontier and a DGW Tennessee, and love them. I am a fan of the function over form look, and they are both comfortable at the shoulder. I am inexperienced with other long rifle forms, but I can say that my friend's Lancaster school rifle is uncomfortable for me to shoot. Feels like I am stretching my neck at odd angles.

I appreciate the fact that someone from Tennessee would want a rifle that has roots in that area. That's cool. I wish Louisiana had the same. Maybe they do, and my rookie status is hiding this from me?

DC

I bought a .36 Tennessee flinter from the builder, Roger Sells, of Monterrey, TN. He built it about 25 - 30 years ago. Just spent an enjoyable day at the range shooting it. He's currently building me a Tennessee flinter in 54 caliber. The man is first class to deal with, knows the southern appalachian guns well (having handled and studied many originals), and is reasonable in pricing.

Back