• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tennessee Valley Manufacturing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought guns from both Jackie Brown and Jack Garner. They were so bad that I sent them back. Jack Garner got it right on the second try, Jackie Brown didn't. The TVM (Garner) rifle I got was not what I ordered, and had the assembly pins sticking out. Looked like he used nails, and didn't file them off flush with the stock.

Jackie Brown sent me a Canoe Gun that was so bad I sent it back to exchange for a new one. The second one wasn't any better, so I sent it back, too. I did get my money back, but I felt that his workmanship was pretty crude (I.E. the inside of the barrel looked like 40 miles of bad road, etc.)

Not bashing, just sharing my experiences.

BTW, I checked into Caywood. Very nice looking guns, beautiful workmanship, but they don't come with locks(!)

JMHO
Gene

Jackie Brown sent me a Canoe Gun that was so bad I sent it back to exchange for a new one. The second one wasn't any better, so I sent it back, too. I did get my money back, but I felt that his workmanship was pretty crude (I.E. the inside of the barrel looked like 40 miles of bad road, etc.)

Not bashing, just sharing my experiences.

JMHO
Gene

Your story appears to be the Norm, after 2000. Before that his stuff was fairly good.

:imo:

We were at the SW rendy also, but TVM was closed when we got there and they packed out before we were able to talk to them. A buddy of mine got one of their rifles about 4 years ago at Ft. Toulouse and is very happy with it. I got a "Grand Rifle" (used) last year and it was built by Jack Garner and G.L. Jones. It is a left hand .54 flinter and is VERY nice, couldn't be prouder of a gun. And that is my 2 cents worth. Emery

Jackie Brown went through a rough period. Health problems with his family and his own caused a period of relying upon employees to run things. Some dropped a lot of balls.

Jackie has now gone to doing things on his own. A bit slower, but this should solve the quality control issues. I just got out of the woods with my Jackie Brown smoothbore and I am quite fond of it. It ain't perfect as it was made during the height of the problems, but I got about what I paid for. It'll do the job if I do mine.

I would get another one if I could see the end product first. This can be done through some of the resellers that deal in TVM and Jackie Brown finished guns or by visiting the shop -- if you are near the MS/TN border.

Otherwise try :
http://cache_la_poudre.tripod.com/muzzleguns.html

or write to:
THE POWDER KEG [email protected]
for a list.

CS

Yup -- been there and visited them. Ordered a gun as Matt and Toni were moving from Jack's place. Jack was selling out to retire and focus on a parts only operation.

Also Jackie Brown is down the road to the west in Walnut. Visited him first.

Got guns with connections to all 3 and they are all good people.

CS

I have work for Jackie and Matt both. Have learn alot from both. Jackie has gotten over some tuff times and is starting to put out some great guns. I still buy parts and other supplies form Jack and he,s a great person and has a awsome business.

Back