• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas hill county buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out at 3:00 this afternoon to set in the heat. Giant moon last night and nothing moved this morning so I was betting they would get hungry early this evening . I hadn’t sat an hour when I heard the rocks clicking on the hill behind me.
Sure enough the freaky horned buck i have been after came down the trail and stopped at the corn I had spread out at 30 yards. He stood facing me for an eternity ( probably 5 minutes) as my sights stayed glued to him, my rifle resting on a shooting stick.
He would turn his front end picking up corn but he kept his body facing straight at me. I suppose he had his fill and turned to carry on down the hill. I was on auto pilot just keeping the front blade on his shoulder when the .54 went off. Most of the time when I shoot something with a Flintlock there is a moment of panic after the shot as the heavy smoke blinds you.
Not this time as the 120 grains of FF rolled him over and I could see the white belly through the smoke.
I just finished this stock Thursday, which only added to the thrill of taking such a cool buck.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpeg
    IMG_0950.jpeg
    2.4 MB
  • IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    2.4 MB
Went out at 3:00 this afternoon to set in the heat. Giant moon last night and nothing moved this morning so I was betting they would get hungry early this evening . I hadn’t sat an hour when I heard the rocks clicking on the hill behind me.
Sure enough the freaky horned buck i have been after came down the trail and stopped at the corn I had spread out at 30 yards. He stood facing me for an eternity ( probably 5 minutes) as my sights stayed glued to him, my rifle resting on a shooting stick.
He would turn his front end picking up corn but he kept his body facing straight at me. I suppose he had his fill and turned to carry on down the hill. I was on auto pilot just keeping the front blade on his shoulder when the .54 went off. Most of the time when I shoot something with a Flintlock there is a moment of panic after the shot as the heavy smoke blinds you.
Not this time as the 120 grains of FF rolled him over and I could see the white belly through the smoke.
I just finished this stock Thursday, which only added to the thrill of taking such a cool buck.
120 grains of powder in 54 is more fun than I prefer, but no doubt it can be effective.

Nice story, nice gun and nice deer. Hard to get things much better.

Back