• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas Rising

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting. I hope it remains true to history and not some Hollywood drama that is very loosly based on Texas history. Hollywood and the TV industry has a record of not trying to stick very closely to the truth when it comes to historical stories. Let's hope this program will be the exception.

I "heard through the grapevine" that TEXAS RISING is another version of the MYTH that we taught TX schoolchildren for decades.

yours, satx

history channel used to do a good job of trying to be hc. Sometimes they were a bit sloppy, sometimes a little full of myth or pc stuff. Then they got dramatic and more interestested in story and drama. Mostly Hollywood now.I can enjoy shows like the Vikings...as a show...not as anything looking like real history.

I strongly expect that TEXAS RISING will be "on the order of" DANCES WITH WOLVES or TEXAS WOMEN, which were, as we NA say, "It's our history as we WISH that it had been."

yours, satx

Well, Satx and Billnpatti, I'll give you the whole history of cinema and TV end-to-end...find me an historical drama that was NOT as they wish it were.

That's why it's entertainment.

I tried watching shows like Last of The Mo's, Turn, Lonesome Dove and Dances with the volume off and found that the best thing brought to the table by the media is the visual.

I watch the Big Sky, Northwest Passage, Drums Along The MOhawk and Across The Wide Missouri with the sound on because they themselves have become a cultural historical item.

Maybe a couple of beers will help you watch the stuff?

If I wanmt accuracy or good information I'll come here. If I don't have any projects going, or it is the dead of winter and cabin fever is set in, I'll watch the idiot box. Simple.

Has anyone watched the 2 part series Texas Rising? I recorded it and have only been able to watch a small portion of part one. From what I've seen the acting was shall we say, sorry, and the Indians dressed and looked like they belonged in the old comedy series F Troop, only my opinion. Hope some other folks got to watch it and have some comments. Thanks. Art

Actually, the Comanche "outfits" aren't too far from what was worn in the early TX period by SOME Comanche warriors.
(During the 1820-60 period there was NO typical Comanche "national dress".)

One thing that is CORRECT is that TEXAS RISING shows how amateurish/confused/disorganized that our little TX army & the new Republic of TX civil government was.
(When everybody is making their own decisions, NOBODY is doing anything positive.)

yours, satx

I have been racking my brain for two days trying to figure out where that 2000' rock bluff with pine trees is located near Gonzales. I'm also confused as to whether or not there is any tall grass prairie near Nacogdoches that would support a herd of buffalo. And I know that we have been in a bad drought here in central Texas, but San Antonio is not in a desert. It's pretty obvious that the people in charge have never laid eyes on these locations.

I "heard" that TEXAS RISING was made in the CA desert but I'm NOT sure where it was made.

FYI, there once were MANY buffalo and HUGE herds of wild cattle within a days ride of Nacogdoches.

I'll be "interested" to see what the director thinks that San Jacinto looks like.

Incidentally, the Winter/Spring of 1835-36 was the coldest & WETTEST year in recorded history in South TX.

It would have been SMART to pick an advisor who has at least BEEN to TX.

yours, satx

I am sure there has been quite a bit of creative license used in this series but I, for one, am happy to see something about this the specific events after the Alamo. This involves personal, family history and the series may not include my relative, it dares to explore that time period.

I have gone out of my way to watch the first two parts.

I try not to watch shows/movies that are intended to be "entertaining" while loosely following history with the same "eye" that I would a historical documentary.

I've watched the first two episodes and it seems pretty interesting. I find myself watching more for the guy they call "Deef" (since he can't hear and only reads lips) to see if someone talks to him when he's not looking at them - then he answers...

I'll watch the complete mini-series. Rather watch this then the other manure on TV.

Noah Smithwick said that "Deaf" Smith COULD hear "relatively normal speech" if he chose to listen carefully to a person & could read lips too.
(He was NOT "profoundly deaf" by any means, having lost most of his hearing to what was PROBABLY rheumatic fever as a child.)

yours, satx

Thanks for that info satx. It puts his part in more prospective, something the series has not done as yet with his hearing. We're led to believe he can't hear at all. :hatsoff:

seg05 said:
I have been racking my brain for two days trying to figure out where that 2000' rock bluff with pine trees is located near Gonzales. I'm also confused as to whether or not there is any tall grass prairie near Nacogdoches that would support a herd of buffalo. And I know that we have been in a bad drought here in central Texas, but San Antonio is not in a desert. It's pretty obvious that the people in charge have never laid eyes on these locations.

I made it thru about the first hour and that was it. My wife's first comment was "Don't they know what the coastal plains look like?" I've got to say though, ole Sam Houston was a tough bird, a "festering" wound for 2 years. I was told it was filmed in New Mexico. There are just so many things wrong with this one. I really tried to be objective, but I don't think I'll watch it. If you've been to the Alamo, La Bahia in Goliad, Gonzales,etc., or know anything about Texas history, this just doesn't cut it. It could be so much better. IMHO.

SATX,

I find your comments VERY interesting. Thank you. Look forward to more!

I am wondering who the person was who woke up amoung the Alamo dead, slit the Mexican Soldier's throat and took his gun and later butchered and skinned Mexican Soldiers. Is that taken from one or more historic figures?

Having visited the Alamo and driven through that part of Texas on a few occasions, I concur with the wonderment and disappointment of using geography that was not in Texas.

I watch these kinds of things while knowing that much "artistic license" or downright balderdash is used by modern Directors to appeal to larger audiences. Though I agree REAL history is MORE interesting than most of the farcical flights of fancy Hollywood puts into these type of shows, I am glad they are on the air. MANY people today have NO IDEA of history and some of them just MIGHT get interested in it because of shows like this.

After all, many of us who grew up with Disney's Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett, etc., got at least some of our spark of interest from poor history shows like that.

Gus

I wouldn't argue with anything that your lady/you said. ====> As I said earlier, it would have been NICE if they had at least TRIED to find a locale that LOOKS like south & southeast Texas.

For starters, there ARE numerous places near San Antonio & Goliad that are "available for movie sets" AND plenty of suitable places near San Jacinto, too.

just my OPINION, satx

A few comments on the TV special:

1. (As 2 other Texicans & I said earlier) the sets are DEAD WRONG as to the LOOK of the movie locales.
2. NO "white males" survived the fall of The Alamo.= The ONLY person who COULD have "skinned & hanged Mexican soldiers", once he fled The Alamo in late February, was Moses Rose & he was at least a 100 miles North of Bexar by 06MAR1836 & thus is a highly unlikely "avenger", by reason of physical location if nothing else.
3. The Mexican Army did NOT kill any of the slaves, who were at The Alamo, including at least 2 black men who "took up arms" against the Mexicans.
4. Emily Morgan (The Yellow Rose) was NOT at The Alamo & as far as I know, neither was her brother.
5. There WERE individual persons on the Mexican & Texican sides that committed atrocities against opposing force members & against civilians, too.
6. I seriously doubt that the Karankawas would have been able by 1836 to HAVE a war party, as chickenpox, mumps, measles & other "European diseases" had essentially wiped the tribe out.
7. The Comanches are at least "mostly" correct in dress, horse equipment, weapons, tactics, etc.
8. I was disappointed that our tribe (the TSALAGI NVDAGI) & our permanent allies (the APACHES) were NOT shown to be "preying upon" the Mexican Army, as our warriors made life MISERABLE for the Mexican Army, from the moment that they crossed the Rio Bravo/Grande to the time that they arrived at San Jacinto.= The poisoned arrows, poisoned darts, occasional gunfire and "the silent knife that comes out of the darkness" caused the Mexicans to "withdraw" their scouting parties & "stay close to home", when the Army was not "on the march" AND our warriors frequently "reported upon" the activities/movements of the Mexican forces to GEN Houston's scouts.
and
9. The Ranging Companies are portrayed fairly accurately, as the Rangers were "the eyes & ears" of GEN Houston throughout the campaign & engaged in "hit & run" actions against the Mexicans throughout the Revolution.

just my OPINIONS, satx

satx78247 said:
A few comments on the TV special:

2. NO "white males" survived the fall of The Alamo.= The ONLY person who COULD have "skinned & hanged Mexican soldiers", once he fled The Alamo in late February, was Moses Rose & he was at least a 100 miles North of Bexar by 06MAR1836 & thus is a highly unlikely "avenger", by reason of physical location if nothing else.

just my OPINIONS, satx

Thank you. I strongly suspected that part of the "story" was hokum, but was not absolutely sure.

It reminded me a little of the 1982 TV mini series "The Blue and the Gray," when Warren Oates portrayed the completely fictional "CS Major Welles," who went around sabering the Federal wounded. Have to admit I am still upset about that downright falsehood.

Gus

Back