• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas Rising

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For whatever it's worth, I wrote my thesis on The TX Revolution & doing that made me knowledgeable about most of the available period documents.
(I made FEW friends among jingoistic "professional Texans" by telling THE TRUTH about what REALLY happened in 1834-36.)

yours, satx

Once again the members of this forum have come through with a wealth of accurate information. I'll probably watch the rest of the series as strictly entertainment. Thank everyone for their replies and providing me with true historical information. Art

Here is a list of several of the non-history stories within the mini-series:
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/texas-rising/

One of the interesting things about the show, for me, was finding out who Deaf Smith was. I had heard about Deaf Smith County, TX, a long time ago and always remembered the name, but I never knew who it had been named for. So, I picked up a bit of history.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know very little about Texas history but, i'm guessin' there's at least a little more history in this mini-series than there is truth in a politician's campaign speech. at least they're not all wearin' Stetson's & Levi's while carryin' Winchester 92's & Colt's Peacemakers in the 1830's. hafta wonder about the faux Indian with the blunderbuss though. but, bein' a child of the 50's who grew up on westerns almost every night, I guess i'll watch it 'cause ya don't have many options these days.

horner75 said:
Well by now, those who wanted to watch it did and those that didn't want to didn't! Swing a dead cat and your bound to hit a critic expert here, so all I'll say, is that it didn't follow history and was made for entertaining the masses and not history buffs!
Better than pawn stars and counting cars... Just my .02 cents :hatsoff:

It seems that from what I have read, there is no clear evidence on exactly what role Emily Morgan played in Texas history. Was her name Morgan or West? Not clear. It depends on whether she was a free black working under contract to James Morgan or a slave belonging to Morgan. Some places she is spoken of as being a free black named West. In other places, she is said to have been a slave of Morgan's and as a result, used his last name as her own.

The other issue is whether she was acting on behalf of Texas when she was in the company of Santa Anna or whether she had been kidnapped by Santa Anna and became his rape victim. Had she been kidnapped, as some sources claim, she was not doing what she did for Texas, she was simply a victim of Santa Anna and her presence at San Jacinto was mearly happenstance.

As it turns out, her story was generally unknown until it was told by an Englishman, William Bollaert, in 1842. For many years, it was a mear footnote in history, and a questionable one at that. It wasn't until sometime in the 20th century that the story come to the forefront and became the story of Emily West (Morgan) as a heroine of Texas history that we have today. Even the truth of any acolades or rewards by Texas for her service are not all that clear. In some accounts, she left Texas right after San Jacinto to return to her home in New York and never returned to Texas.

Unfortunately, her true role is just not all that clear. We are left with a jumble of fact and fancy about Emily West (Morgan), The Yellow Rose of Texas.

Since you have studied Texas History, do you have any primary sources that clarify her actual role?

Bill;
You hail from a place with real history. You're being overly generous -- you can admit here that you have some street smarts and know when someone is trying to sell you a bill of goods. The rest of us get it too...

OUCH!!! = I was afraid that someone would ask me for PRIME SOURCES.
(YES, I have a considerable number of "Xerox copies" of letters, diary entries, newspaper clippings & other period sources about Emily Morgan that I collected as thesis research BUT they are "in deep storage" at Mother's place, 8+ hours by road from here.)

Let me tell you what I know (and remember) about "The Yellow Rose", from my research.
(You & other readers are welcome to accept or NOT accept whatever portion of the following "bits of information" that you choose.)
Things that I'm "convinced of" from my reading:
1. Emily was born a slave and (HIGHLY likely) was her owner's own natural child, by a "comely slave girl", whose first name was PROBABLY "Julia".
(John Morgan evidently manumitted her when she was a young teenager & she called herself EMILY MORGAN for most of the rest of her known life.)
2. Using MORE than ONE surname was commonplace in Texas, well into the 20th Century.- That FACT is what makes amateur/professional genealogists "crazy" when researching Texas families. - MUCH of what I know about Mother's side of the family in TX is "more or less educated guesses", as some members of our family, who fled to TX after TWBTS, were "under sentence of death" by Union Army tribunals & therefore used "more than one name" to avoid arrest/punishment.
(My 96yo mother has often said that, "Even in my girlhood of the early 1920s, a SURE way to start an ugly fist-fight was to ask a stranger, 'What was your name back in The States', as Texas was a place to 'start again, with a clean slate', if you had a rather shady past elsewhere." = One of my grandfather's most "well-regarded & loyal sawmill workers", for at least 20 years, was "known to be an escapee from a GA chain-gang" & I once asked my uncle about him & my uncle said, "To my knowledge, Clete never killed nobody in Texas, that didn't need killin'.")
3. After the Revolution, Emily was "a friend & frequent house-guest of" Harriet Potter & her husband Robert, at their home on the shore of Caddo lake in what is now near KARNACK, TX.
(Harriett Potter, "our very own East Texas Wildcat, reputed witch, markswoman & huntress of note" was "popularly said to be the MOST beautiful woman in all of Texas" & Emily was said to be "second in beauty only to Mrs. Potter", in period writings.)
4. I believe that she was literally "a spy in Santa Anna's bed" for GEN Houston, based on some bits of known period data BUT that is NOT "proven".
5. Emily "chose" her 640 acres of "rich bottom land" in what is now COOKE County, on the south bank of the Red River, according to tax records at the county courthouse in Gainesville, thus I believe that the "grant of land for service to Texas", by the RoT Congress, is GENUINE. = The tax-man always "gets his pound of flesh".
(In 1850, there was some sort of "domicile" on that piece of property, though nothing more is known to me about that house, other than it was "valued at 600 dollars". = Did she have a house built? - I simply don't know.)
6. At various times in her adult life, Emily claimed that her "married name" was: WEST, CARPENTER, WALLS, SIMPKINS & PETERS.
(Whether or not that Emily was ever lawfully married to anybody is UNKNOWN.)
NOTE TO "Non-Texan" READERS: A Texas woman may lawfully use ANY name that she chooses after she marries. = One of my college chum's bride changed her legal name from GERTRUDE MAE F__________ to JULIA ELIZABETH PATRICIA G_____________ when they married in 1976, as "I always hated my name & insisted that my friends called me 'Pumpkin' from 1st grade onwards."
7. Cooke & Grayson criminal court records indicate that at least 5 men died as a result of fights over "the favor of Emily Morgan" & 4 other men, over the next decade after our Revolution, evidently committed suicide because she "spurned their entreaty to marry".
(Not only was Emily described as a woman of "STUNNING & SEDUCTIVE BEAUTY" well into middle age, but she owned a large farm that a man might get control of upon marriage.)
8. Emily evidently owned a good-sized general store on the bank of the Red River & "near unto" the Grayson County line. = NOT PROVEN, though a circa 1860 news paper account mentions the store/trading post.
and
9. Emily probably passed away from some unknown fever, on a trip to CAPTAIN SHREVE'S PORT, when she was 40-45YO. - Captain Shreve's Port is "the former name" of: SHREVEPORT, LA.

SORRY, that's all that I'm reasonably is accurate, reference "The Yellow Rose".
(Emily is "one of my interests" & YES, I'm still looking for more information about her.)

yours, satx

About TX names, my mother in law was born and grew up on a ranch outside Uvalde. Her oldest brother was never named, but always called "Son" by his parents, his four siblings, and everybody else that knew him growing up. When he went in the service in WWII, they wanted his name and after explaining the situation, they ended up calling him by his father's name with Jr. added. In truth, he never had a birth certificate and never had any other name but "Son" up until then. My wife still refers to him as "Uncle Son".

That is not just a TX thing, though, I had a female ancestor born in GA, mid-1800s, who was never given a name and chose her own name when she got old enough, about 13. She chose Elizabeth Tallulah, which was quite a fancy handle for her family.

YEP. That's Texas for you.

They tell the story in Franklin County that a fellow went off to war in Dec 1941 & joined the Army.
When they asked him his name, he said, "R B Jones".
"OK smart guy" said the SGT & "What does RB stand for?"

"Don't stand for nuthin'", says RB & "It's just R B. Onlyest name I got."

Finally, in frustration the SGT said, "I give up. Print the letter 'R' & write 'only' & then print 'B' & then write 'only' after the 'B'."

The PVT said that he liked to have never been able to get that mess straightened out, as all of his Army records at ETS were under: RONLY BONLY JONES.
(I'd bet that some personnel clerk saw that & said to himself, "Texas boys surely have some PECULIAR names." = CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

satx, I don't avidly study it but, history(especially southern) has always fascinated me. appreciate yer increasin' of my knowledge of Texicans a little bit :hatsoff: . thanks & have a good'en, bubba.

Ach!
My wife and I watched Texas Rising on On Demand and we lasted for about an hour.
Granted that I had been educated by Saxt and others on this thread (which led me to some internet research for more reading) before we watched, but some of my newly found knowledge made the program unbearable. Poor acting, gratuitous, unnecessary silliness of the two young boys for comedy relief, stereotypical Indians yelping and moping like in a 1950s cowboy TV show...terrible!
I just can't bring myself to watch any more of it.
Ron

I noticed that the first two episodes are available on On Demand and was thinking of watching them. I think I'll try and see if I can last longer than you. LOL. Turn this into a game of "who can last the longest". Kind of like a group of boys grabbing an electric fence to see who can hold on the longest.

It sounds like this show is really a hard one to watch. Just like the last goof show that History channel made about Sons of Liberty (if that was the name).

To All,

As I've now had 2 members who asked me "off forum" about The Caddoan Republic, I'm going to "do some digging into" whatever facts that I may have available in my library here in The Alamo City about the OLDEST/longest-lived of the 3 TX republics. IF I do find anything that is "of general interest" to our members, I'll post it.
(MOST of my research is stored at Mother's home in northeast TX.)

The Caddoan Republic was established near Karnack, TX about 1815 & "voluntarily gave up her independence" after nearly 3 decades to be part of Texas in December 1844, before annexation by the USA.
There is at least as much "foolishness, hogwash & boloney" about the Caddoans as there is documented fact & separating fact from whimsy, legend & lies is a REAL problem for researchers. = Numerous "modern EasTexians" want the little fledgling republic to be "more than it was", stoutly promulgate the "colorful" MYTH & "family stories" about our ancestors & often "just make stuff up".
(For one thing, The Caddoan Army & Caddoan Navy seems to have had NO enlisted men, as almost everyone that I know from "the old families" stoutly claim that "my ancestor" was a Colonel/Admiral/Navy Captain in the Caddo military forces. = CHUCKLE.)

One thing that I believe that is FACT is that our modern Texas flag has "a direct link" to the Caddoan flag of "the pre-1820 period". = The Caddoan flag was a "cloth rectangle, being divided down the center into 2 bars, with the top half white and the bottom half blood red". When Texas was about to join the USA, some of the Caddoans were (according to the published memoirs of Dr. Nathan H Parks, MD), "------ concerned that our country will be forgotten" & evidently requested that the NEW Texas flag would incorporate the Caddoan banner.
(Is that WHY the Texas flag has the "fly end" half white over red"? - Many of us "old Texas families" from "way up there" WISH/HOPE that it is true but there is, to my knowledge, despite the "historical article" in THE STEEL COUNTRY BEE in early December 1985, simply NO extant proof.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

stax--Is there a picture/painting of Emily? Also, is there any evidence that she was buried in Shreveport? The yellow fever epidemic there killed a lot of people.

I've "heard" that JARVIS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, in Athens, TX, has (or at least once had,) an oil painting of her, that "is said to be" of her "from life",as a young matron. - As I've done research at JCC & never saw it, I can "neither confirm nor deny" that information, "claim" or "gossip".

I have NO good information as to where Emily is actually buried, or indeed even if she actually died in LA, though THE SHREVEPORT JOURNAL (published 1897-1991 ====> THE SHREVPORT TIMES COMPANY has the JOURNAL's archives.), several years ago claimed that she is buried in Caddo Parish, in the old St Elizabeth's Catholic Cemetery "before The Civil War".
(MUCH more is "claimed" about the early settlers of TX & LA than anyone can research/prove, as often the records are LOST/burned-up/thrown away/etc., if indeed there ever were REAL records.)

YEP, "Yellow Jack" killed many people, several times, in Captain Shreve's Port. = Shreveport-Boosier City was (and sometimes still IS) "a rough & tumble place".

yours, satx

Back