• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas Rising

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS for your comments.

I would NOT be surprised to find out that numerous Texican horsemen were using SPANISH tack, as there are comments about the "impedimentia" that the Spanish forces left behind in East Texas, after the War for Mexican Independence.

Also, after The Battle of San Antonio, the Texas militia under the command of COL Ben Milam, captured a great deal of firearms & other Mexican property from GEN Cos's forces, so the Texicans MAY have been using some 1812 surplus tack, too.

yours, satx

Also, given that people tend to KEEP/USE the saddles of decades ago, I wouldn't be shocked to have seen AWI tack in the possessions of Texan immigrants.
(Even now, my 26YO niece is still using a WWI saddle that my great-uncle Jack brought home from France & gave to my mother, when Mother was a child.)

yours, satx

There is several opinions on just what the Mdl 1833 Dragoon was. A trip to The Military Horse.com will give you a look at one of the theories. The other is quite similar to our English saddles only with a steeply lifted, squared cantle. We have an artillery/wagon saddle with this tree and very extended under skirts like the Art. Grimsleys. One of the problems with this period is civilian market for horse gear was growing by leaps and bounds. So anything that could be bought or liberated was continued to be used until worn out.
The single piece pommel-horn style saddle tree shown would have been present in Texas during the time period. In my opinion a small horned, short barred Hope style tree without skirts and just skeleton rigged would be very hard to argue with for the period.

The other saddle that we worked with was a plantation style saddle with a shorter seat and less padding. We have an original family saddle from a gentleman who died in the 1850s, it is like the one described. We started with a new Buena Vista tree and cut off parts to get it to look like the original. It was a neat project and we almost made enough to pay for the trees, leather and hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looooooong movies about a 20 min battle....... :haha:

Tomtom said its to hot in Texas for him.......no kat food!

Marc n tomtom

Aye satx78247
My main interest is the Mexican War period, and I have been studying it for over forty years, and I have never come across any research concerning it's use. My question is, have you any information concerning the 'No Quarter' flag supposedly used by Santa's army at the Alamo? To the best of my knowledge it was never used by the American army. Possibly adopted from European armies TIA.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

The memoirs of the Alcalde of San Antonio stated in his memoirs that: I, at that time, saw the 'flag of no quarter' unfurled on a 'church steeple near unto the Alamo fortress' & EL DUEGELLO,'the cutthroat song', was often played by the Mexican Army's band throughout The Seige at Bexar.

The haunting song, EL DUEGUELLO, came to Texas from Spain.

yours, satx

Thanks, very interesting. The Mexican army to my knowledge did not use it during the 1846-48 war. they may have learned their lesson. Any idea as to the colour?

-the Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

satx,
Blood red! Thanks. Now, regarding the saddle question, try to get a copy of Man Made Mobile. It was printed many years ago, by the Smithsonian. I had a copy, but it went when I sold my store. Incredible research contained therein.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

cavsgt said:
The last reason is the most important in my opinion, there are not enough of US who know the difference.
I think many folks don't consider this. You could spend millions making something as "visually accurate" as humanly possible and most people wouldn't know or care. Why waste the money?

Not in regards to Texas Rising, but... Let's face it, if you're telling an epic story, having a couple guys with the "wrong rifle" or the "wrong hat" is not significant. But for some, that's all they'll take away from an otherwise fantastic and perhaps educational production.

Us Texans are proud of our history and heritage. When someone inadvertantly gets it wrong, it is still wrong. But, when someone intentionally tells it so wrong, we take unbrage at it. :cursing: There is so much that is intentionally wrong with Texas Rising that it is an afront to all Texans. It is :bull: :barf: It ain't right and we know it and we don't like it.

I've had my say.

YEP. - As my cousin says, "Texas born, Texas bred & when I die I'll be Texas dead."
(It would take dynamite to get Randy out of Gregg County.)

yours, satx

FYI, "Man Made Mobile" is NOW, according to a docent at the Smithsonian, ON "the worldwidewierd" & FREE as a download.
The paperback book is also available "in hard copy" on www.amazon.com.

yours, satx

Claude said:
Not in regards to Texas Rising, but... Let's face it, if you're telling an epic story, having a couple guys with the "wrong rifle" or the "wrong hat" is not significant. But for some, that's all they'll take away from an otherwise fantastic and perhaps educational production.

A wrong hat or gun is not problem for me...well, not worth talking about. The reason I quit watching after the first night was totally in the absurd and fictitious nature of the whole story. Made about as much sense as George Washington having an affair with Mary, Queen of Scots, while sailing to Antarctica for the ostrich shooting season. Granted, all Houston,s officers were dressed like Confederates of 30 years later, etc., etc....but the whole thing past Alamo and San Jacinto, Santa Anna and Houston was pretty much wooly bully crappy doodle! Not even a quarter of all the mess is based on any kind of truth...it was totally convoluted from the first 10 minutes and I didn't expect it to get better.

Could you point me to the correct website, as themilitaryhorse.com OR militaryhorse.com do not seem to exist?

I did find: www.militaryhorse.org but that seems to have little relevant information on anything about saddles/tack before 1902, other than a few details about the 1860s. = I found NOTHING that is relevant to the mid-1830s or prior eras.

yours, satx

First off if you are not trying to be a smart a** the capitalization of words is at the very least offensive.

One last time and then I am done with you. Do a search for the information that you asked about "The Legendary 1833 Dragoon Saddle.

At the risk of being really "offensive": IF you are bothered by my admittedly eccentric typing style, don't read my posts. - My heart won't be broken, if you choose to not read them.
(My dissertation committee thought my style of writing "somewhat peculiar" but did NOT find anything wrong with my research, thesis or conclusions.)
Moreover, it has been my long experience that people who complain, quibble, gripe, carp, whine & whimper about poor syntax, missing commas, typos & "typing style" want to say "something" but generally have little of real value to contribute to a serious conversation among thinking adults.

just my OPINION, satx

Some of the older traditional Mexican charro saddles have smaller horns. - I wonder if that was what the early 19th Century saddles were like in appearance????
(The Texas Institute of Culture, here in The Alamo City, has no saddles/tack that are known to be from our Revolution period but several saddles/bridles/breast harness from the mid-late 19th & early 20th Century ranching culture.)

ADDENDA: IF I can find what the TX Revolution era saddles/tack looked like for sure, I have numerous contacts in the Tejano culture, who are traditional saddle-smiths & can have the proper tack handmade inexpensively in Northern Mexico.
(My personal saddle is a traditional charro style of Nuevo Leon & it cost me less than 300.oo with all "the goodies", about 15 years ago.)

Note: Should any of our readers want WBTS or plantation saddles/bridles/etc. made, I can get those made too in Saltillo. - I even know of one Mexican saddlemaker who has, in the past, made "Canadian trooper saddles" that are difficult to tell from a Tucker.

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Some of the older traditional Mexican charro saddles have smaller horns. - I wonder if that was what the early 19th Century saddles were like in appearance????
yours, satx

here's a pic of a proper Spanish Saddle of the 1830-40's. A removable leather mochilla was commonly used over bare tree. http://www.furtrade.org/museum-collections/tools-utensils/

you can find "Man Made Mobile" in several different free down load able file types at www.archive.org

Back