• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thank you guys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUSteve

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I posted here awhile back, almost 6 months ago, about my flintlock not firing. I was using Pyrodex. I finally found some Goex and boy did it make a difference. I've been putting 10 grains of BP under about 50 to 70 grains of Pyrodex and it has been 100% reliable since. In fact, I feel like I could shoot it all day long.

Thank you guys for the help!

Steve

Steve,
Now that you have found how reliable the real stuff is, why are you still playing with the other stuff?
Mark

The real stuff is hard to find around here. I can find Pyrodex at any Wal-Mart. Just trying to strech out the supply.

I don't shoot BP guns all that much, so it wouldn't make sense to buy 10 pounds by mail.

YOu can buy less powder from Graf & sons . The only reason to buy more is to spread the Haz Mat fee over more pounds of powder, and reduce the unit price. If you like the way BP makes the gun shoot, use ONLY Black Powder, save the cost of the more expensive Pyrodex, and you will shoot up more of the black powder.

A case of 25 lbs. will let you buy the powder for about $12.00 per pound. However, someone here just reported ordering 3 lbs of powder from Graf & Sons, and paying $60 for the powder and Haz mat fee( $20.00), That still puts the cost of each pound of powder at about $13.00 per pound, which is much cheaper than what people are paying for Pyrodex.( More for the other substitute powders.)

Check the powder suppliers here under " Member Resources " at the top of the index page to this forum. You will find them listed under " links ". Contact the source closest to where you live to reduce shipping costs.

YOu can also go to the Goex website, locate the distributor for your state, and contact him. He can tell you where your closest retailer deal is located, and some will arrange to ship you powder to your door, also, particularly if there is no local retail source to you.

Finally, find some friends at the range, or at the local sporting goods stores, or at any local BP gun club, and go together to order your powder. By buying in volume, you all benefit from the lower prices.

My club has been placing annual powder orders for its members since the club was formed in the mid 1970s. Back in the late 1970s, I rode with another officer to Indiana, to a distributor's home, to pick up the club's order for powder. It was more than 100 lbs, and I am sure we were violating some law or regulation as we drove his pickup truck back home. However, these same cans, and cardboard boxes are used in shipping the powder by Trailor loads up and down the highways, so the risk to our safety was very small.

My friend tried to impress me with the fact that if for some reason the powder exploded, we would never hear it, and that all that would be left of us, and the truck, would be the engine block in a 16 foot crater in the middle of the interstate highway! I recalled that conversation again in 1995 when the Federal Building in Oklahoma City was blown up. Black powder as not involved in that bombing, but there was not much more left of the truck than my friend warned. :shocked2: :hatsoff:

Whereabouts in Iowa are you located? PM me if it's anywhere near Sioux City and I might be able to hook you up with someone who would split a larger order. The place I buy from is $12 per pound shipped to your door for a 25 pound (mixed grades) order. BTW - BP doesn't go bad and has a shelf life longer than any of us here do . . .

Yes it really was because it was made of several kilograms or even towns of a powder sugar and fertilizer. A very dangerous mixture with more blowing power than bp. So why don't they forbid fertilizer and powder sugar?

Regards

Kirmeister

Actually, the bomb at Oklahoma was made from Nitrogen fertilizer, and gasoline. The gallon or so of gasoline poured into each of the barrels along with the fertilizer gave off enough fumes to be sufficient to destroy the building alone. In fact, tests done later by AFTE determined conclusively that the bomb was this kind of mix because of the nature of the destruction, compared to a bomb made of ONLY Gasoline, or to a bomb made of fertilizer and keorsene. There is a double shock wave that can be seen in time lapse photography that charactizes the Oklahoma bomb, and explains why certain structures in the building failed.

Its as if this bomb was specifically engineered to destroy that building. It is the motive behind the lengthy search for other conspirators than Timothy McVey even after his conviction of the crime. They were looking for the brains behind the bomb design, as neither of the two men convicted of crimes had that kind of training and education. To date, they have not found enough evidence to charge anyone else.

The Bomb back in 1968 that blew up the Lab building on the U of Wisconsin Campus at Madison, and killed a late night research was a fertilizer/kerosene bomb. A kitchen timer is reported to have been used to delay the ignition to give the bomber time to escape. That bombing led to inclusion of Black Powder, based on press " rumors " in the days following the bombing, in the 1968 Gun Control Act, which was passed before the Investigation identified the true explosive used.

After both bombings Congress held hearings to find ways to trace gasoline, or kerosene, or fertilizer, with "taggants", etc. only to be told that any taggant that might be used would tend to make these products more dangerous to use for their intended purposes.

Because millions of tons of fertilizer are made and sold each year for agricultural uses, as well as home use, it would be impossible to create a registration scheme to restrict access to the materials.

As it is, theft of farm chemicals by people looking for free gasoline, or fertilizer( mostly anhydrous Ammonia) to use in drug making operations, or just people wanting " free fertilizer" -- its expensive-- is a major headache for law enforcement in rural areas. It just doesn't take that much fertilizer to make a bomb.
Each spring, during planting season, thousands of barns are left open and unattended as farmers are out in their fields, often miles away, preparing the soils for planting, fertilizing and then planting the seed.

The farmers are away from the house and barn for long hours every day. Security is virtually non-existent. Of course, people note strangers and strange vehicles going by on the roads, and everyone knows everyone else, and when their neighbor gets a new car or truck. So, farmers are not quite as stupid as some city folk believe.

Once they know a crime is being committed in their area, they band together in rural Neighborhood Watch groups, and pool information about strange vehicles. If the crooks come back( they are so stupid and arrogant, they usually do) they are usually caught, and often at the ugly end of a very large shotgun! :shocked2: :rotf:

If someone wants to make a very large bomb, all they have to do is buy one or two bags of fertilizers at garden supply stores, never buying too much from any one store, and do it over a couple of years. There are dozens of stores in most suburban communities that have fertilizer for sale. Do the same with kerosene purchases.

This is one of the reasons all the efforts being made over the last 100 years to register guns, and restrict gun ownership makes so little sense. Its " feel good " legislation at the best, and a fraud on the public if they are lead to believe these laws make them safer. Tell that to the survivors of the 9/11 attacks, or of the 1993 bombing of the WTC, or of the Oklahoma bombing.

If I'm not in error, discussing destructive devices is getting very close to violating the Muzzleloading Forums rules so can we please get back to the original subject which had nothing to do with destructive devices?

Thank you. :)

Back