• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanking Landowners......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think putting the greed lable on all farmers who rent their land is fair, it is a tough buisness and often inflated land values and the ability to borrow more against this is all that keeps the bottom line the right color, if starting from scratch, on paper farming is a buisness that most anyone would run away from like a rabbit and banks would shudder at the risk factor.

luie b said:
Your suggestions won't help me too much because that isn't the problem. It's not that I don't know all of the farmers because my grandpa is a farmer and I know all the local ones from when I would be around him as a kid. Then my other grandpa was very well known in the area and would have no problem getting hunting permission when my dad was a kid. Farmers are just getting greedy and are willing to lease their land to out of staters. I have a few friends that hunt but they face the same problems that I face and I don't hunt with any of them because they only deer hunt and aren't allowed to hunt by themselves. I am gonna except what I have as far as deer and turkey hunting. Last year I did have permission on a property next to my uncle's farm in Bowen. That was just dove hunting and I probably could rabbit hunt it if I wanted too. If I wanted to change up my squirrel hunting I could probably hunt my grandpa's neightbors ground for early squirrel hunting because he has people hunt from Bloomington for deer. If my local hunting oppurtunities fell through I could always go a ways south to my all of my cousin's farms. He has one in northern adams county which has tons of deer and recently got a farm in Pike county which as most of you have heard would have tons of deer on it.

It's easy to use terms like "greedy" but Luie if you had 3 kids in college, a mortgage, a car payment and the costs of living . Then your 15 year old combine breaks down and the property taxes on the 200 acre family farm is due next month...you'd think long and hard when those fellas from Chicago offer you $150 an acre for exclusive hunting rights. The reality is very few family farmers rely soley on the farm's income. Most have full time jobs, along with their spouses, and work the farm. I know farmers who use their vacation time from work during harvest, just so they can get in their crops.

Leasing and the subseqent loss of access to the local hunters is a serious issue in Illinois, as it is in many other states. But it does produce income to many who need it. When all those local hotels are "full up" with out of state hunters that brings in badly needed income to an area of Illinois which lacks industry and a worse than average employment level. On average for every out of area dollar spent in your community it is rolled over and spent again 7 times. That is money which creates other jobs and income and tax revenues for your community. Something to think about when you graduate and can't find a job...

Snow on the Roof said:
It's easy to use terms like "greedy" but Luie if you had 3 kids in college, a mortgage, a car payment and the costs of living . Then your 15 year old combine breaks down and the property taxes on the 200 acre family farm is due next month...you'd think long and hard when those fellas from Chicago offer you $150 an acre for exclusive hunting rights. The reality is very few family farmers rely soley on the farm's income. Most have full time jobs, along with their spouses, and work the farm. I know farmers who use their vacation time from work during harvest, just so they can get in their crops.

Leasing and the subseqent loss of access to the local hunters is a serious issue in Illinois, as it is in many other states. But it does produce income to many who need it. When all those local hotels are "full up" with out of state hunters that brings in badly needed income to an area of Illinois which lacks industry and a worse than average employment level. On average for every out of area dollar spent in your community it is rolled over and spent again 7 times. That is money which creates other jobs and income and tax revenues for your community. Something to think about when you graduate and can't find a job...

Sad but true.

They just put out an economic survey on the area where we have our place in the Southwest. It's almost exclusively ranching and farming.

Average income?

$12,000

Same in this area, goat prices are down, taxes are increased, lota people get upset at us ranchers for leasing the land but what are we supposed to do? We got bills to pay and notes due so we lease hunts. Its unfortunate but its a fact of life.

I don't mind the land owner trying to get a little help or extra money for the right to hunt their land. My beef is with the treatment of nonresidents just about every where having to pay so much for a tag. I don't hunt N.Y anymore because they want so much for a tag at a chance for one deer, a buck in a couple of 3 day weekends or a week if your lucky. I can stay here and for the same amount of money buy 12 tags. It's slowly becomming a rich mans game when it comes to out of State. And it won't be long before it is in State.

Stumpkiller said:
You really want to show support offer a weekend in the summer to help straighten/repair fencing or clear brush. THAT will show your appreciation.

That's a good way to get invited back year after year. Most landowners don't let anyone hunt their property nowadays. If you're lucky enough to find one do anything you can to establish a good relationship with them. Drop off some meat, work the farm...etc. A little appreciation will go a long way.

:thumbsup:

HD

That is just the thing to do. I have gotten him and his wife a gift certificate to a local restaurant, taken him smoked venison, and two weeks ago some smoked turkey. He loves the stuff. He said nobody had ever given him anything for hunting before. I promised him some fresh or smoked fish this summer. At 83 years young, he is a fun to sit and talk with. Leon

Several comments to this thread.......showing appreciation is being respectful as many here on this forum have demonstrated. Everyone likes to go out for dinner ( gift certifcate ), firewood, several jars of maple syrup/honey, we used to help make ( and stack in the barn ) small square bales of hay on one farm, etc. Yep - you guys have all shown appreciation in your individual ways.
Regarding lease hunting ; it has become quite prevalent just about everywhere in recent years. Here in WI the taxes on "recreation land" as the State of WI classifies it - pushes a lot of farms and landowners to lease their woodlands just to help with their taxes.
I worked in agriculture my entire career and I've heard a lot of reasons ( first hand ) why much land is posted and also why permission is hard to get.
Everyone should use plat books in each county they hunt in and learn how to knock on doors with courtesy and also how to track down absentee landowners - for starters. If you open a gate to get somewhere, then close the gate. Do NOT drive on alfalfa/hay fields unless you have permission to do so - trust me on this one ! Always be respectful - even when you hear "no" as an answer.

Just a few tips from an old guy who has worked with farmers for many years and I have an 80 acre grassfed angus farm myself. I could share a few stories, but will you all have better stuff to read on this forum.

Regards, Vic

Well said, Vic.

And always remember this: Farmers and ranchers talk to each other, probably more than they talk to anyone else. If one slob messes up on one farm or ranch, EVERYONE hears about it. Folks that have had zero problems with visiting hunters will post their land just because a neighbor (or a friend 50 miles down the road) had problems.

I'm really militant about folks that abuse hunting privileges anywhere I see it. I may have zero plans or ambition to hunt the particular piece of land, sure enough the owner is likely to be talking to the guy whose land I do hunt.

One bad apple spoils the barrel. And one bad hunter wrecks it for every other hunter within hearing (or phoning) range.

I pay a trespass fee on a farm every year through an outfitter. Despite that, I've gotten to know the land owner and I've given him smoked salmon and helped him with his ML. It's paid off over the years and he's happy to see me and gives me tips on where he is seeing the game and has even left some fields standing to keep the deer coming until after I leave. :thumbsup:

Here in New England any sort of lease is considered pretty much unheard of. It is either a yes or a no when it comes to private land permission. In fact many states in New England view any unposted property as open to hunting and fishing. I generally offer a bottle of "cheer" and a fruit basket to the landowners who let me hunt on their land.

I think the "Golden Rule" applies in these situations!
It is so seldom used these days. :surrender:
Dusty :wink:

Yeah I remember Vermont back in 70's you had to post your land otherwise it was open to anyone. We would have to walk the line and post our camp "With permission only" signs every 20' or so. Even then many guys were found on the property who never saw any signs. :youcrazy: It's been many years now so I don't know if Vermont has changed or not but thats how it was there and I believe Maine was/is? Not sure on that.

Here in R.I you need to ask for permission and carry a permission slip on you at all times and it must be dated that year. But leasing a piece of land is pretty much unheard of here.

Just made my spring time deliveries of large baskets of strawberries to the landowners...
(also brought one home for me and Ms. Roundball of course)

Back