• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

That was ugly... What happened to good, old, American hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hate me for the words I am using in this post, but I had to. It almost made me throw up.

Recently, while researching shooting videos on youtube I came across a gentleman who made a movie with an inline. They said and recorded on the very begining that they are going to the store to get a muzzleloader because season starts tomorrow. So they did. Not sure the name of this inline. Anyway, on the day of hunt they sight it in, and went to the woods. Then it shows the guy killing pretty big buck at around 70 yards or so.

With this kind of commercial, I am not suprised traditional hunting is not that popular. The only skill they showed was sighting in a scoped rifle.

What the hell happened to good old American traditions?

"What the hell happened to good old American traditions?"

With MLing much has been traded off for more effective ballistics and an effort t retain much of the comfortable feel of the mdern cenerfires we grew up with, the modern conicals and aperture sigfhts are good examples of the holdover of the modern tech and incorporation of it into the ML hobby, it has ben going on for so long that many do not even realize that much of the stuff is not really traditional except possibly in conceptual terms, but when a great advantage is gained in using the modern tech delevoped stuff for many it seems to be a matter of only superficialy be ML hunting/shooting but rationalization is a very strong tool that can make most anything "right" in the mind of one who needs it to be.I often use my old Ford Pinto Wagon as an example, the 1800 wagons had 4 wheels and an were powered by horses (horsepower) at times, my Pinto wagon had 4 wheels and was powered by an engine of XXX "horsepower", so using the logic that is applied to the modern high tech re-encarnation of some of the ML gear my Pinto Wagon was traditional wagon.There is nothing wrong with using modern stuff but we have really missplaces a lot of it when it comes to classification, and I am aware that modern guns have steel barrels, as there are some things that due to practicality and cost and the lack of providing an advantage that are pretty much universally considered OK to be used on a gun called a traditional type.

I often times wonder if those X line hunters take as much pride in ownership of their guns and equipment as we do, or are theirs just a means to an end (extending their hunting season). I must admit that I rarely see them at the range except maybe the week or two before deer season.

Vern

Well...at least they sighted in before going into the woods...

I've seen them taken out of the box at a gun store, loaded and handed to the buyer saying he was good to go for the next mornings hunt. :shocked2: :youcrazy: Anything for a sale... :shake:

I have to agree with you. :thumbsup: I think they buy them just to use during "Primitive Weapon" Seasons. No real skill involved, to me they are just like a single shot .308 or something similar.

I guess it's human nature to "push the rules", so to speak. We traditionalists don't view our MLs as simply "tools" like the space age shooters do. We take pride in our primitive equipment and skill which is not usually the case with the modern guys.

I am not convinced of the superiority of these things compared to traditional arms. True, a scope makes hitting easier but I'd lay money that our shooting is better.

I don't mind that these shotgun primer wonders are bought and used. It doesn't affect my hunting/shooting at all as I hunt primitive all through the seasons. It keeps the industry going and gets hunters into the woods which helps keep our numbers from declining so much.

Given all things be equal such as iron sights, I have no reservation that a muzzleloader can chunk lead every bit as accurate as the new fangled contraptions, and a heap more fun.

When the early "primitive" season opened originally here in Colorado, only muskets, longrifles, and smoothbores were allowed as far as guns go, and I believe only longbows and recurves.
But the modern hunters got their way because they out numbered the primitive guys, and now just about anything goes. They are reverting back to more primitive arms, they say, but time will tell.
Last deer season, I ran into two elk hunters with the unmentionables, and one guy remarked that I was carrying around an "interesting piece of iron".
They have no conception of "hunting".

I have a percussion longrifle, so maybe it's not as primitive as flintlock, but with patched round ball and iron sights, nice wooden stock, and possibles bag I think I and people with similar equipment have a little more right to call themselves traditional hunters, don't you guys think? Inlines are just like modern rifles without a loading port or magazine around the breach area. And yes I do like my centerfire and rimfire rifle, but that's not the point here. :)

I almost got in a fist-fight one year at Dick's when I asked them why they run the deer-season firearms sales a week before the season instead of six months earlier. Swear to you a guy was there getting a slug gun bore-sighted with a scope and was going to take it hunting without firing it and he proudly chimbed in with this information. It got ugly for sure.

If you can't flip a switch or push a button it goes against our current instant gratification society. No one wants to invest the time in developing skills so they buy results oriented gear.

At least the guys with the unenytionable guns for the most part do not try and pass them or their accesories off as traditional like a lot of sidelock hunters who use modern gear do, I have more respect for the former myself at least they are honest about what they use.

Since you mention honesty. I have to tell you that CT requires at least 400sq inch of orange on you unless you are at least 10-15 feet off ground. I still hunt so I just bought full camo orange winter suit for $30.00 on eBay used, but 99% condition plus 10.00 s&h. Unfortunately I am not able to dress in 1700s clothes and walk around. The moment I would take my orange cap and vest off for picture I will be recorded on camera, have my license and/or permit taken and worst- get shot by some dumb axx like it almost happened last year when guy took a bow shot at 80 yards through thick woods, scared my 10 pointer away and hit so close to me that I had to leave a unpleasant note on his windshield.

As this post started by mentioning an in-line I am locking it down as I've already started to receive complaints.

See why it's best just to not mention [strike]abominations in the sight of God[/strike] in-lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back