• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The $400.00 knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 stinky dogs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a good frend who collects knives.We both share an entrest i the rambozo type survivle knives but as I am sure you all know they usuley arnt verry good knives.Well He purchased a randell made survivel knife for $400.00 after it is all sed and done.He plans on putting it away so it wont get all messed up during use.What I want to know from you all is how do you feel about laying out that kind of money for a knife that will sit on a mantel or only be used at rondy's for look's? I am of the mind that if you lay out those kind of bucks that you need to use the knife and that is should have a reasonable life time warinty that covers normal use.I know some of you have some high doller knives do you use them ?

I don't remember the name of the mountain man but at one point in his life he ran into an Apache that told him to get a "skinny" bladed knife. I have sort of gone full circle from skinny knife to a "camp" knife and back to a skinny knife. Those heavy blades look neat but a 5" Dadley or something similar is easy to sharpen in the field and does about everything you could ever reasonably ask of a knife. I think some of the Frontiersmen probably had a fighting knife and a using knife.
$400.00 for a knife- I agree its a high price but look at it from the side of the knife maker. How much would you charge after you spent hours on the item? Even at $400.00 its probably a bargain in terms of what you are getting. I would bet most $400.00 knives are kept on shelves.

Oh yes Randell knives are worth evry penny and the usuel wait of sevrel months or even a year or two.I aint knocking the quality one bit.

My ole $400 knife sits on my night stand. Didn't mind paying that for it because I wanted to pass something special on to a member of the family when I leave this ole world. Besides...if a person wanted that same knife made...would cost around $500 now.

i have a few high dollar knives and use them all. 2 made by kevin cashen, one by ed brandsey and 1 by robert rossdeutcher. i wouldn't own them if i didn't want to use them.
pieman

Hi y'all, just a note from a knifemaker. Some of my knives have sold for $400 and some sold for $75. Anyway long story short, the only difference in them are the visual aesthetics. I feel that don't matter what you spend on a knife the quality is what counts. Don't matter what your using it for hunting, fishing or protection, you don't want it to fail.
As far as the Randall goes, dollar for dollar, it's a great knife for the price.It's just mass produced. My $.02, Bud

I saw and touched a Randall knife, it was a thing of beauty. It belonged to a friend. I use a $50 knife myself.

As one who sold a number of Randalls recently, and have a couple more to sell, I say: the bigger bucks you're willing to spend on one of 'em, the better! :RO:

Capt. William

I have a collection of relatively inexpensive new & used knives and as cheap as they cost individually, I may not ever really be ready to use many of them for years to come, if ever. I suppose the reason why is that a blade is only new and pristine once and that the longer I wait to use it, the more pleasure I'll have later. So for the time being, the pleasure of ownership is linked to the appreciation of the workmanship and design of each knife, and not necessarily in the use of it.
It's a lot like owning an unfired gun that was made many years ago. It maybe should be fired at some point in time, but the question of "when" is a very personal decision.
If not doing something makes a person "happier", then at least one very real purpose for owning the object is attained. Plus, the opportunity to not have to make a hasty decision concerning what is often considered to be a luxury purchase anyway can be extended indefinitely.:winking:

I have several knives made by Don Broughton that I paid almost $400. for some years back.Also have several by other custom builders that I paid a little less for.My own personal thoughts are that I would rather spend $400. for a custom knife as opposed to a mass manufactured one because it helps someone who is expressing his/her artistic abilities and this should be encouraged.Use all of mine.

I have a $125 belt knife, and a $20 patch knife both made by a friend who is an artist in his work..the belt knife is staying pristine...mainly because I don't need[url] it..in[/url] the field, I rely upon a 1945 war surplus knife bought for me by my dad, and a 1958 bought for a dollar Swedish Mora knife...the surplus Kbar has gone through a good number of sheaths, the Mora has the first one I made for it...they're also the ones that I'll leave to someone...the meaning will be in the years they've accompanied me, not the dollar value...Hank

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I am a knife collector and admit to owning several (many) expensive knives, both antique and modern customs. I have bought a few to "use", but generally carry less expensive knives in the field--what it has taught me, however, is how to judge a good knife, and the ones I do use, even though cheaper, are all well made and use good steel. I just "retired" one custom knife from reenacting use and replaced it with a flea market special--I found a great handforged blade (out of a large file)for under $10 and handled it in walnut myself with old style iron pins. I like it just fine and the steel is excellent! One handmade knife I have used and carried is an old Ruana made by the old master himself--Rudy wanted his knives to be used and priced them at one day's average wage of a worker. It has great steel in it.

As a custom knife maker I'd like to say something. Please dont take this wrong. How much do you make a week at your job. When I make a knife in the $400.00 range, It takes me about 3 weeks to finish, sometimes a little longer. Thats not to say anything about how much in materials I have in it, or the art work.

My knives are one of a kind. No one else will have one like it, I can't speak for every maker, everyone grinds a little different, but I put all my heart and sole in every piece I make. I want these knives to express who I am, all my talents,and something that the owner will be proud of. Something he will cherish and hand down to his children or friends.

People all the time come up to me with a knife they made, some nice, some pure POS. But they made by hand, you can see it in their eyes, pride, they did their best,left a mark on the earth.

Theres no special trick to steel, we all get it at the same place. No special trick to heat treating, every one does about the same. Custom means just that, custom, hand made works of art! Not some mass produced, same as everyone else thing. (Custom) made in the USA, by hand with pride.

Spend your money wisely, pick a good maker, and enjoy.

:winking:

bigD, while I agree with most of what you say, I have to take issue with the statements about steel. There are dozens of different steel types used by makers, many stainless, many not, a few in between; various alloys from simple high carbon to more complex crucible stainless; different ways to achieve proper hardness, heat treating different alloys of stainless or forged carbon steel; machining bar stock or hand forging steel, etc....Some folks do it better than others, but the technology is well known these days. My favorite blades are hand forged high carbon steel ones and there is an art to that. The steel type the buyer (or the maker) selects does affect how it performs even if it is heat treated/hardened and tempered properly for that type steel. I personally don't give a hoot for the low carbon 420 series stainless steels so many factory knives use these days and I am shocked to see it appear in custom knives as well. I like edge holding steels like A-1, 52100, O-1 and the like. Don't care if they tarnish. I have used many stainless steels and a few have done pretty well for me--all high carbon alloys like G-2 (japans 440C) and the original Puma steel--but the semistainless D-2 outdoes them all. Know your steels! They are not all alike and not every maker knows steels very well!

My beef is not with the price of the item.When I get a knife I think it should be used.Same with guns and even the fishing lures I collect.Maby I am a nut but if I waited almost a year for a knife made by a guy who kniws what he is doing By gollie I am in a hurrey to use it.$400.00 0r $4,000 dollers.

Have you ever seen some of those fancy fantasy knives made by Gil Hibbens? I don't own any & probably would never buy one but they are works of beauty (sometimes from another planet!). I doubt that many people actually use them though, even though I can not see any reason not to if someone were to be so inclined. Or how about some of those fancy limited edition gold plated specialty commemorative guns and such that some people keep in a glass case? Their use is strictly reserved for....or show? Some items are more clearly considered to be collectibles. Oh, if money were only an object! ::

The Hibben fantasy knives made by United Cutlery use a poor grade 420 steel, if I remember right, and would not be very good using knives--if you could get beyond the weird shapes to even try to use them! It is ironic, because Gil Hibben was one of the early great custom knifemakers and made utilitarian knives for years out of good steel like 440C. I have one of his basic hunting knives made back in the 70s. Simple and elegant and utilitarian. Then he went wrong.... :kid:

You might have taken me wrong about saying there is no secret to steel. My D2 comes from the same foundry as just about everyone elses does. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to get into a steel war, but I know steel. I grind several diffrent kinds cause everyone has their opp. ::

I had this one made by a Tom Morland out west, I needed a heavy one so I could use it for a ax for cuttin fire wood and I have skinned a few critters with it also, The first time he made it for me, he put an antler handle on it, it looked great but I said I needed a tool that I can bang round and use, so he changed it to this mylar one, I paid $250 for it and have used it for years, I can even refit horse shoes with it, that was why I had it made, it good steel and will hole an edge,,
Hpim1567.jpg

Have you ever seen some of those fancy fantasy knives made by Gil Hibbens? I don't own any & probably would never buy one but they are works of beauty (sometimes from another planet!). I doubt that many people actually use them though, even though I can not see any reason not to if someone were to be so inclined. Or how about some of those fancy limited edition gold plated specialty commemorative guns and such that some people keep in a glass case? Their use is strictly reserved for....or show? Some items are more clearly considered to be collectibles. Oh, if money were only an object! ::
I never thatght about those kind of knives,I thaught G hibbon made it clear his knives were for collecting. if I had one and saw a chore it could be handy for then sure I would try it out.Now as for fancy guns If I got my grub's on a gold plated and heavly inlaied BP gun that cost thousands you can bet that I will be shooting it alot and I would expect to shoot as well as or better then my TVM gun and my Bobcat.

Back