• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The $400.00 knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's most of my knives, I've got more including more Randalls. As you can see my preference leans toward stag handles

knives.jpg

Third in from the top right is the Randall style I've always liked best. SOG kind of "borrowed" it for their Trident fixed-blade.

Truth be told, for field dressing a deer, that Case Trapper near the center or the small fixed blade above it is what I'd choose.

Stump. that's Randalls Model 19 Bushman, 5" carbon blade, Sambar stag with a compass in the butt. The case trapper is one of my favorite folders, made in the 50's the carbon blade takes a quick scary edge. The two smaller fixed blades above it are Randall Model 26 Pathfinders, 4" carbon blades with Model 25 handles, probably one of Randalls most popular hunting knives.

Nah, the 6" one to the right of that (I was countin the big 'ol toad stabber on the far right as the starting point). Closer to the Model 1, but I don't think that's a "1".

Aw hack, send 'em all and I'll pick through. ::

Ok, that one's a Model 5 Camp and Trail. It comes in 5,6, or 7". Mine has a 6" carbon blade and it's a good all around knife.

i saw on tv a knife that is plastic and is made in japan and is as sharp as steel but its plastic :youcrazy:

I have mixed feelings on whether I'd use a collectible, expensive blade for day-to-day things. I own a couple mid-priced-albeit non-collectible-knives (a Marble's and a Puma) which are phenomenal tools. The Marble's is one of the last to leave the factory with the good bone handle and the Puma is a stag-handled Solingen-steel Bowie made about 70 years ago. So far, I haven't used these knives for anything except dress-up. I have a couple relatively inexpensive (30-60 dollar) knives which do yeoman duty in the field, so I really don't feel the need to use my "nice" ones. There's a certain pleasure that some of us derive from owning and handling fine things, a satisfaction just in the having of them.

Although, I think if drew a moose tag or I was going on a hunt in Alaska or Africa, I'd be more inclined to break out the high-end steel. Sort of like the china that sits in some peoples' hutches...it only comes out for special occasions.

:m2c::thumbsup:

i saw on tv a knife that is plastic and is made in japan and is as sharp as steel but its plastic
Are you sure it wasn't one of the excellent ceramic knives made in Japan by Kyocera? You see them a lot on cooking shows and the History Channel featured them in their "Modern Marvels" episode on edged tools.
Granted, there are plastic knives out there...even fighting knives.
Jack

here are a few of my Bowie knives--these are variations of the James Black style ca. 1830. All of them are priced in four figures.
IMG_0018.jpg

That "bushman has always been my favorite Randall. I had one but let it get away a few yrs. ago. :curse:
Nice collection.

Here's a couple of "good" kitchen knives. ::
Holy $#^&! You have got to be kidding me! $955 for a freakin' chef's knife! That baby better be self-propelled and self-cleaning.

I don't mind a lot of money for something of quality that I want to own. And while I accumulate (too much) stuff, I'm not really a collector... that is to say stuff doesn't just sit on the shelf or hang on the wall. If I don't see actually using it, I can't see owning it. That kind of thought went through my mind last time I went to war - almost left the "good" camera behind. But then self asked me, "so, just what are you saving it for?"

As with expensive quality made ,carved and inlaid muzzleloaders,I enjoy viewing them but would not spend the money to own one, even if I could.And it's the same with knives.If it's Your passion to own and collect either of thease items,more power to You.When any tool is made from good material and handles well,all the additional trim won't make it function better.I enjoy makeing my own knives and other gear,they certainly arn't works of art,but they fit my needs and uses.If I could afford to pay $400.00 for a knife I wouldn't.Instead I'd put it into quality parts or a good kit gun,and have the pleasure of createing my own customized weapon.Theres no doubt in my mind that those of You that build custom knives don't make a huge profit if the labor is figured.I'm also glad that there are those of You out there ,that can,and are willing to, pay the moneys that keep the artists among us,building and decorating guns knives and other gear.It is keeping a great tradition alive.I'm just an old stick-in-the-mud that was raised to use it up.wear it out,make it do,or do without. :imo: :front:

The waiting list is (in there words) aproxamatly 4 years !
3sd,
Damn in 4 years i mite not know weather to eat it or shoot
it......Darn i hate getting old :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
snake-eyes :hmm:

hobbles,
Where is the $500 horse? A couple years back
i spent $1200 for a dog that won't come into the same room i'm in but would follow my wife to hell..She still
refers to him as my dog, with a grin
....RIGHT. I would love to pull a reverse "Godfather". Take the dog out of the bed and put a live horse in it.(no she would not think it was me...she knows better)
snake-eyes :D :D :D

Mornin snake-eyes 1000
"i spent $1200 for a dog that won't come into the same room i'm in but would follow my wife to hell"
sounds to me like that dog would protect you wife if you weren't there, and I bet deep down inside you, that alone made the dog worth every penny, :blue:

Back