• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The "Black Box"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 922

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a box that I finished today. I straightened and turned the horn as per my previous efforts. I then turned the wood parts from maple. I could not find a color that looked good with the horn part. Also, the curly maple just became mottled looking when stained. I was ready to start over when I thought of using black lacquer on the base and the lower part of the lid.

It was hard to photograph - the horn part is quite glossy.

BB1.jpg

Beautiful box! I love the way a "fix" to something we thought would work and look good often turns out to be just the thing to make something good great.

tremendous!! gotta get some spare time (ha ha ha) so i can give that turning business a try.

thanks for the post ... your turnings look great, but mine, well, not so much...

Very nice looking "horn-box"...plain yet elegant. Congrats !

Back