• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The dirty dozen spotted next door...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Snapped a quick couple of shots of them in my neighbor’s pasture yesterday. Quite a winter scene on Christmas Eve. Twelve male turkeys (ahhh, turkeys) in the spitting snow.

Four months now. Just four short months.....
9847029A-D1B0-4E4B-A1EA-622C6391E11A.png
B74D2905-00ED-4DB6-9C43-CBEF7EC5BDEE.png

I was deer hunting some land in TN a few years back when 21 gobblers passed by in single file. Come turkey season then must have dispersed to the ends of the earth as none were in evidence on the same property.

Nice to see them but where are they in the spring time?
See my post above.

I was ribbing Skychief, but, I have found that the places I see turkeys in the fall and winter, especially toms, I do not see them in the spring. At least in all the areas I hunt.
I think it is a combination of food source changes and cover. I think there are places they feel more secure in winter that they don't in spring and can see approaching danger better. Also, turkeys would seem to prefer to be out in open wet areas when it is raining or wet, they don't like being pressed by wet brush, also in think they can see approaching danger better this way.
With the leaves down these areas are different.

I can hear them now, Fellas, you watch out for the guy who lives over there next door, he will flat do you in. You can't ever figure where he is going to show up, and if he spots you, you'er a goner.

Spene

One late afternoon out in the woods deer hunting, I was sitting on the ground at my usual stand and decked out in the required orange. Deer season was in but not turkey season. Movement caught my eye and I turned my head slightly to witness a file of turkeys, slowly marching like a line of monks, crossing right in front of me no more than 30' to 40' away. They completely ignored me sitting there.

One late afternoon out in the woods deer hunting, I was sitting on the ground at my usual stand and decked out in the required orange. Deer season was in but not turkey season. Movement caught my eye and I turned my head slightly to witness a file of turkeys, slowly marching like a line of monks, crossing right in front of me no more than 30' to 40' away. They completely ignored me sitting there.
Funny you mentioned that. I had a similar experience once during the muzzleloader season back in Connecticut. The group that walked by me were less than 20 yards. I don't get how they can spot me in the treestand at 100 yards but walk right by me another time.

It’s amazing how things like that happen. A couple of time during deer season this year they would walk 20 to 30 yards from me and its like the orange didn’t bother them :dunno: Maybe i’ll put it on in the spring and confuse them to thinking its deer season!

Sitting on the deck of our last home reading. Under the shade of two big hemlocks and not paying much attention to my Lab looking up into the trees. Finally I look and there are two toms roosting up there. Guess I'm lucky not to have been baptized with turkey droppings.

Driving to my daughters house to drop groceries (they have covid and don't get out) we saw 4 flocks of up to 30 birds....most afternoons see them circling the chicken coop 30 yards off their porch..

Back