• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the importance of target practice for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt85

54 Cal.
Reaction score
having recently killed my first deer, i have been thinking about something my hunting partner said to me.

before me and my partner parted ways we had a friendly little competition where we each fired 2 shots into a target at 60 yards (the distance i shot my deer at). since this thread isnt too pick on her ill just say she didnt do well. when i asked what happened she said "its too cold and im tired". fair enough, it was VERY cold out and we both woke up at 5am and hiked around in the woods all morning. but it just occurred to me... why was i able to make decent shots in the cold while half asleep?

when i shot the deer it was 15 minutes after i woke up (so around 6:30am) and in the low 20s outside. my clothes consisted of work boots, jeans, a T-shirt, and a nice hunting coat. needless to say i was half frozen and half asleep. (note: i will get better clothes for next year, especially gloves!)

the answer: im a master marksmen... :rotf:

the real answer: i have spent so much time at the range shooting this rifle that i can naturally point and shoot the gun even with most of my brain on auto-pilot. the kicker is... any one can do this! you just need to practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. i took this rifle to the range every sunday for at least 3 months (might have been longer, i work at Boeing and time seems to melt together) and each range trip was 3-4 hours. i practiced at both 50 and 100 yards with multiple styles of target.

did i mention you should practice?
-Matt

You can practice everyday and you're still going to have times at the range when you're cold and tired and can't hit anything. Or it may be some other distraction that causes you to say "What the ....". It happens to all of us. Just saying. Bill

I find in my case,,if I just have to pull up and shoot,like jump shooting birds,I can hit more targets,,but if I have time to breath,relax take up the slack,,think about the shot,,not so good.Like when you see a deer,,and have enough time to confirm it has the required antlers and shoot,as to watching it wander slowly across a field,glass it,count the 12 points,look over the size,figure the range,,I'd be shaking so bad I couldn't hit myself in the head with both hands and help.
Same when I am target practicing,,pull up,get on target and send it,otherwise the barrel get's to wondering.
You can never practice to much!!!!!!

Sperit de bois said:
You can never practice to much!!!!!!
Nothing wrong with practice, but it seems more important to some folks than to others, in the hunting field, especially. I'm not one to shoot a bunch, and generally find practice to be not that necessary. I have killed deer when that shot was the first since the one that killed my deer the year before. I think it depends very much on your mental state when you hunt. I've been at it long enough that I rarely have anything even remotely close to buck fever, no matter what wanders into my sights.

That all assumes you paid your dues in the beginning and really learned to be a good shooter, then stayed at the hunting for long enough to develop a calm approach to it all. One of the few advantages to growing old. :grin:

Target shooting, now, that is a totally different thing, for me.

Spence

I dunno if this would work for anyone else, but I get the best results in the field from shooting what I call "walking groups" at the range. Couldn't do it at a formal range, but since we're shooting informally it's easy.

Bottom line, move around between shots. You're not going to be able to stand in the perfect "range" position all the time when you get a shot on a hunt, and you kinda have to take what comes in terms of body angle, foot placement, even breathing. I just pace back and forth along the shooting line when anyone else is on hand, but when I'm by myself a "group" might be shot at 75, 20, 35, 60 and 10 yards. It sure seems to pay off on hunts.

Oh, and getting away from the bench for shooting like that really teaches you what is where in your shooting bag, and especially, what's in the way and doesn't belong there.

When I shoot at an animal I have hit every time. When I shoot at targets I can miss if I am not in the right frame of mind or my environment is not favorable.

I think the reason is that with an animal the moral imperative on me to make sure the shot counts is very strong. So unless I am positive I am dead on I can not take a shot.
Targets do not limp away dying a slow death.

I agree Spence.

I used to do a lot of range shooting but have been unable to for a long time now. Its all about knowing your gun, when and when not to use it thats the most important thing to me in a hunting situation. Cold or not...

BrownBear said:
Oh, and getting away from the bench for shooting like that really teaches you what is where in your shooting bag, and especially, what's in the way and doesn't belong there.

Compared to paper targets, have found it a lot more fun to shoot offhand using soda cans, charcoal briquettes, and clay pigeons suspended by string from a sign frame. Geraldo and I have been going shooting about once a week and the marksmanship is definitely improving! Am also dry firing during the week using a piece of wood (from a clothes pin) in place of flint...it's a good form of practice :thumbsup:

cynthialee said:
When I shoot at an animal I have hit every time. When I shoot at targets I can miss if I am not in the right frame of mind or my environment is not favorable.

I've always been opposite of this scenario. At the range on paper I've earned the nickname of "Bulls Eye", hence the "BE" in my screen name. In years past I'd missed a half dozen shots on game, never wounding anything, but earned a mantle of shame when it came to hunting. In almost all cases it was a matter of improper range estimation, things appear to be farther in the field than out on the range. This results in shooting over the intended target. I changed my method and will only shoot at game when I know that it's well within my range, at that point the critter is a goner. I have a buddy that can't throw a group on paper if his life depended on it, but he made a 125yd. shot on a running doe, go figure.

As for me, range time is invaluable in gaining confidence and familiarity with any firearm I own. And I must admit that I love to throw small groups on paper.

There is absolutely no substitute for trigger time. Despite some statements to the contrary (and we've all seen the guys at the range who only fire a couple shots before hunting season) shooting skill takes a lot of practice to develop and it is a skill that must be maintained. Granted, not all hunters are shooters but there is much to be gained, in both proficiency and confidence, by sending a lot of lead downrange.

I was given advice a long time ago that one should take one practice shot for every yard of the maximum distance that your game animal might be at. If there are areas that are unobstructed and allow for a 100 yard shot then you need to take at least 100 practice shots using the same load you will be using when hunting. For deer or hog hunting here in the Texas Hill Country there are few times that I would be able to take a shot from over 40 yards away but I limit my shooting to 80 yards or less so I would need to go through nearly one pound of powder to load 85 grains 80 times in my .54. However, the vital area of the hogs or deer I might be hunting are much larger than a squirrel's head or rabbit so while small game hunters might want to take only 30 practice shots they would want to be trying for smaller groups. Nothing in this bit of advice says that additional practice isn't needed, only you can judge your own success and decide if you are prepared. Hope this helps.

"Cold and tired" is often when the shot makes itself available. ANY practice with your hunting weapon is helpful. Practicing in your hunting gear and in the field is, IMHO, far better than a summer day at the distance-marked range with mowed shooting lanes.

Take a gallon milk jug or empty paint can out into the woods and pace off 50 or 60 yards and see how you do offhand or leaning against a tree. Likely much different than when seated at a table with the barrel rested on a stand.

Add adrenaline and deer shakes and a 2" shoter becomes an 8" shooter. If you are familiar with your weapon you are much better off when relying on reflex and conditioned response to help overcome anxiety and fatigue.

Practice is extremely important. But the wrong practice can be worse than less practice.

Stumpkiller said:
...a 2" shoter becomes an 8" shooter.

So, you've seen me shoot, huh? :rotf:

One thing to add to the useful thoughts being posted. Probably the most useful load of all for me in 50 and 54 cals is is 30-35 grains of 3f under my usual PRB. I use it for head munching snowshoe hare in the off season, giving me all that much more field practice with my big game rifles. If larger cals are legal for small game in your area, I know of now better way to practice for "deer" hunting. Talk about a wide variety of shots and shooting conditions!

I no longer get to shoot as much as I use to. But I still go out to shoot every chance I get; I just enjoy shooting whether or not it helps though I know it does.

When I start seeing deer in the hunting woods and don't get at least a touch of "buck fever", I'll hang it up and satisfy myself with inanimate targets from then on.

Stumpkiller said:
"Cold and tired" is often when the shot makes itself available.

practice shooting in less then ideal conditions is a must! its one thing to shoot a fixed target at 50 yards on a warm sunny day. its a whole different story in frigid low light conditions with lack of sleep.

however i believe that even fixed range shooting will prepare you if you go often enough. if you shoot so often that the very act of aiming, steadying yer breath, and touching off the trigger becomes instinct. then your chances of performing in less then ideal conditions is improved. when i took my shot on the deer i was shaking and tired. i just let my mind sorta wonder and my eyes, arms, and fingers did their own thing.

you should practice untell you can trust your body to do whats right when the time comes.

Shooting the Woods Walk, at our Clubs Monthly shoot , prepares me for the Pa. Early M`loader Season. Targets range from A Snake to Coyotes and are placed far and near in a Woods setting......

I practice shooting and creating smiley faces on targets at 50 yds.
Most of the time it comes out with the face having a bad hair day.
Oh well................

Back