• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the importance of target practice for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many of you, I do a lot of shooting...I start at the range with any new gun (or new to me gun) and make sure that the gun functions correctly. If I can make good shots with it benched on sand bags, then the ability to miss going forward with that gun is on me.... :shocked2:

Once I know the gun will do it's job, my favorite way to practice is "Stump Shooting". It's something I've done since I was a boy, wander through the woods looking for stumps, fallen trees, etc. at various ranges and locations and picking a spot on them to shoot at. I am lucky enough to have enough land access to do this safely and it's a great way to practice actual hunting situations all year long. Also like BBear said getting away from the shooting bench is a way to check out your gear, shooting bags, off hand reloading, etc....

The more I practice the more confidence I have.

After working up a load and sighting in on paper I go to shooting plastic bottles filled with water. I shoot from field possitions. Sitting kneeling standing and unknown distances.

A buddy and I use to play a game where we would take turns setting out (hiding) water bottles from each other and then we would have to locate and shoot them not knowing the range and from whatever possition we could get in and still see them.

VTdeerhunter said:
Once I know the gun will do it's job, my favorite way to practice is "Stump Shooting". It's something I've done since I was a boy, wander through the woods looking for stumps, fallen trees, etc. at various ranges and locations and picking a spot on them to shoot at.

That's how I got my camp name. I had more fun stump shooting at lunchtime than hunting before and after. One day after a very long hit on a stump my mentor, who I seldom outshot, said "C'mon stump killer, let's go hunting" and thereafter I was Stumpkiller.

When bowhunting I carry five broadheads and two blunts and take several shots of opportunity on mushrooms and stumps throughout the day. Keeps the eye in and is a great practice for threading the arrow through windows in the undergrowth.

When muzzleloading for big game is not the time to be blasting away in practice - so I do that before season, after season, and all the rest of the year. :hatsoff:

nchawkeye said:
I grew up squirrel hunting, still think that's the best way to practice...

Practice? That's what I'm practicing FOR! :haha:

My 'name' isn't Squirrel Tail because of all the deer I shoot. :wink:

This reminds me of my brother in law. He only shoots his scoped .22-250 at deer. He doesn't put it on paper, or shoot stumps, or anything else between deer seasons.

I however, shoot my hunting rifles as often as I can prior to aiming at Bambi. He always asks me "Didn't you do that last year?"
Black powder or modern smokeless, it is an absolute must that you know where the slug is going.

I might also add, that in all the years I have hunted deer in Oklahoma, I have never had to look more than about 20 feet from where they were struck to find them.
We have spent several frustrating hours tracking a wounded deer that was shot horribly at less than 50 yards using his high powered, scoped rifle.

I might not be able to hit a quarter at 100 yards, but I can guarantee you that if I shoot at a deer, that I will strike in the kill zone.

You make a good point there that I agree with 100 percent. The same is true with many things: make as much as possible automatic, so you can concentrate on important things like breath, trigger pull and front sight.

Back