• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The last days of waiting are the worst....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
The builder of my son's Type G Carolina Trade Gun has notified me that it is in route. After many months it's on it's way.
It seems Ive been refreshing the tracking number every 10 minutes. :grin:

Congrats. The waiting is enough to drive you up a tree. My NSW Chief's Grade won't be done until around late March, early April. The wait is driving me nuts!

Thanks all,

It is a Christmas present for my 13 y/o son. His first rifle was my first flintlock, a Traditions Springfield Hawken. I cut the stock down for him and refinished it with a pewter cap. Although it functioned well it was off balance and nose heavy. It taught him basics well though and he was a mighty good marksman with it.
Three years ago his grand Papa bought him a center fire from a once good name that's been nothing but trouble. So now that's he's big enough I decided on another flintlock. Since I was going that route I wanted to make sure he got good one, one that he could be proud of and he could use the rest of his life.

Clay Smith is the builder, It's one of his 20 bore Carolina Gs in red. It's been a pleasure.

My son's first name sounds a lot like a English lock maker so Clay engraved his name on the lock. I'll have pics when the gun gets here.

I still have to get flints and ball for it.

I also want to decorate it some so Clay did not put the final wax on and sent me some of his yellow paint. I can't decide whether to go with the lightning like the "Death of Wolfe Gun", spotted, India Ink vines or some ink Roccoco vines and acanthus leaves. His grandmother is wanting to do some of the decoration.

Here's the lock. I did not get to take as many pics as I wanted. That will have to wait till Christmas.

I am very impressed with the gun. Dealing with Clay was a pleasure. I got exactly what I ordered and on time too. I think he went out of his way to fit this gun into his schedule and I highly recommend him. He's easy to work with and very flexible.

Originally I was going to order this gun as a kit and he was willing to do extra work to the kit. You can get the Kit, a finished gun, in the white or any state of completion in between. I decided on the finished gun without the final wax polish and yellow paint for decoration.

The gun is so beautiful I doubt I'll put any decoration on it but that decision not up to me I'll let the future owner make that call. :grin:

Certainly looks a good'un! :thumbsup: If you do decide to 'decorate' the piece, think 'conservative'. Too many folks just go too far overboard with add-ons, paint or tacks. This is not to say trade guns weren't sometimes heavily decorated but remember it all had some meaning to the original owner and he was not trying to imitate a barber pole!! :haha:

Man you is killin me. Guess waitin for Christmas is always tough, can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Back