• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Leatherman Bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmeyer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all. Below are two links to "Leatherman" bags. Does anyone use either of these? I am looking for a good bag for both patched roundball as well as shot. Either one can have a shot snake sewed onto the strapp and both are offered with or without the game holder strapps. My concern is that those strapps might pull off or are they sewed on tight? I do alot of small game hunting and they sound usefull, but wonder how functional they are. Thanks.

http://www.blackpowderbags.com/cgi-bin/m...ategory_Code=SB

http://www.blackpowderbags.com/cgi-bin/m...ategory_Code=SB

I have one of his belt bags and it hangs beautifully. the stitching is done with synthetic thread (at least it's not Imitation sinew), but it's a well made bag with a nice linen lining. I've been eyeballing one of his shooting bags of similar construction for my new hunting pouch, but am a bit skiddish about the authenticity of it, as well as the "matching effect" I would have with my belt bag.
I tell ya, you can't beat the guy's craftsmanship, that's for sure!

I have used one of his hunting bags for the last ten years---they are made like the proverbial brick outhouse---I seriously doubt you will ever have a stitch come out or the bag ruined by scraping against a rock. His stuff is outstanding, but doesn't look "hand made" if you get the drift. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info and pics. I am leaning toward the top one with the small game straps.

Kmeyer you will like it I'm sure. When you get it if you choose to post your opinon of it,I would like to here what you have to say :front:

I bought one of his bags a couple years ago. It is really a very nice looking bag but as you stated it was machine sewn with synthetic thread. I pulled all the synthetic thread and re-sewed it with waxed cotton. It looks (andis) much more authentic this way. It was quite a job but if you like the bags and want tobe more PC then I would suggest you do the same. Your biggest expense will be your time!

A quality bag of functional design that should cost more than it does.

I bought one of his bags a couple years ago. It is really a very nice looking bag but as you stated it was machine sewn with synthetic thread. I pulled all the synthetic thread and re-sewed it with waxed cotton. It looks (andis) much more authentic this way. It was quite a job but if you like the bags and want tobe more PC then I would suggest you do the same. Your biggest expense will be your time!

If you really want to be authentic with the sewing, use linen thread.

I'm not that much of a purist.

You can't tell the difference for the street anyway.

I have one of this bags, almost identical to that one except it doesn't have the game rings on it. Had it for 6 years now and it has worked well. I did take off that leather piece for a short starter on the strap since I don't use one. The only things that have been a minor bother, is the button for the back pocket likes to dig in my side, not so noticeable when in breeches and weskit, but in hunting shirt, clout and leggings, that button likes to rub a bit. Now I do wear my bag low (average height, long arms)and it is currently pretty heavy, doing duty for both my rifle and my Tulle. One of these days I'll get a bag made for the Tulle. The other thing, is that woven strap. Mine tends to saw at my neck after a bit. I see he is offering them with an optional leather strap which would be better in my book.

Tony

Thanks for all the input everyone. Silverbeard, is your the woodland or eastern game bag?

I guess it is the Woodland Hair on Flap W-102, at least that one looks to be the same as mine. I got mine right from Gary at a show.

Tony

Latest posts

Back