• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The only problem with huntig with my GPR...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one Awsome Buck Jethro!!! :bow: :applause:
Great picture also.You should be proud. :hatsoff:

Ok Jim, here's my post.:yakyak:

One thing I forgot to tell ya the other day was how much I like the way you set up the pic. Good location. Good angle. Good position of the GPR.

And I especially like the way you showed off the buck. No tongue hanging out of his mouth and no blood smeared everywhere. It's what's called having respect for the animal. I know you have that.

The only flaw I could see in the picture.....Would it have killed ya to smile! :)

I mean that's one big freakin' deer ya got there! :rotf:

Or were you just too stuned to smile? :haha: :haha:

Hey Whitewolf,
I'm glad to see you finally posted. Only took a year or so. :winking: And then I had to shoot the best buck of my life to get ya to do it!

I hope we'll see more of your posts on here... :yakyak:

I know, I shoulda been smilin' but I took the pic myself with the timer and I wasn't sure what I was doin'. I figgered I better move plenty far back so as to make sure and get everything in. By the time I pushed the button and ran over there the first time the camera already took a pic. So I tried again.
I pushed the button and hauled butt over there. Had to grab the deer and get the rifle in the shot and I was too slow again and it clicked before I could smile. Batteries were low so I was done.
That's the only pic I got of me and the deer in a natural setting. I'm smilin' in some truckbed pics but they ain't near as purty.

And yeah, I was stunned. I was so worked up that I forgot to even eat lunch until 2:30pm. I ate breakfast at 5:15am. That's a long stretch.
And I really wasn't hungry then. I just noticed that I still had my food in my pockets, so I ate it. I was pumped!

Thanks Tho. I'm glad you like the pic. I did my best to make it a good one. But I'm no pro photographer:shake:...

I just try to make the animal look as natural and clean as possible.

Keep postin' pilgrim! I know you got stuff worth sayin'. :hatsoff:

That hunt will be burned in your brain like a video for years to come. Very nice whitetail buck with a flat/wide spread.

Muzzleloaders Rule.

Cat9

:bow: Wish we had that amount of deer up here Hes a great deer I only saw 5 deer all season while hunting that includes bow had a fawn and two does about 15 yards from my stand fun to watch . WE dont have a bp season where I live but next year if I get a deer early in rif season Im taking my ml out the rest of the season. I hunt with a group and they might not understand if I started off with one. we can party hunt in Ontario.

Could you tell me please how and where the buck was hit and how the wounds were.Which bullet was used?

Thanks from GE. A country where ML hunting has to be established.

Kirrmeister,
If you look closely at the picture, there is a small dark spot about 4 inches back from the point of his "elbow". That is the entry wound. He was slightly quartering away so the exit wound is a few inches forward of that location on the opposite side. The ball went thru the rear portion of the ribcage and took out both lungs. No other organs were hit. He went 3 steps.
My load was a .490" round lead ball, .015" T/C pre-lubed patch, 70 grains of FFg Goex and a Remington #11 percussion cap.

Thanks for the advice. I'm always fascinated again how effective a PRB is, even at bigger game. Didn't have expect this.

Believe me, I didn't expect this either. :shocked2:

I hoped, dreamed and wished but I didn't expect... :)

Seems as we could throw away all these modern bullet constructions an go back tom the simple bullets of our forefathers, even in GE. There the bullet smiths are alays constructing several new bullets with better expanding and better deformation and so on bla, bla. But in my expirience a normal soft point bullet works best.

With all of these ultra hyper, super expansion,mega caliber with 600,000 ft lbs being sold as deer cartridges today, it's tough to convince the average lay person deer hunter that a small leadball with a patch and a few grains of loose bp can kill a deer. Combine that with the fact that certain individuals have articles stating you need the latest sabot and pelletized powder for success and that traditional bp with prbs are ineffective(never mind that's how great great great grampa fed and defended the family).

You are right. In GE most nitro hunters who have no knowledge of ML can't believe this facts about ballistic efficiency of PRB.They think ML are old scrab not able to hit anything with.

Back