• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The powder ran out first...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Nathan a little hint if you don’t mind when I shoot lots like you did on this hunt I use a pair of those thin garden gloves with the thin rubber palms and a rag in my back pocket .I find the gloves work great because of the grip you get from the rubber on the palms works good if yer hands are all crippled up like mine .love your photos and reading your stories and wish I was there by your side .enjoy my friend and give Jess a scratch .😉
Thanks Walt, that's not a bad idea actually 👍🏻👍🏻

I shot the skeet at a farm. for me better then shooting 20 pigeons
And I was just gonna ask you to post pics on your best day birding.

Pigeon, aka Wild Rock Dove, are excellent fare, mom used to cook them several ways, in dumplings were my favorite. Dad and friends would bring home a truck load, or so it seemed to a 10yo assigned to plucking detail.

Last edited:
....thus ended an epic (for me) pigeon shoot with a muzzleloader.
42 and everything is black, the gun, my clothes and my hands.
View attachment 340330
The barrels are now full of lead so it gets the boiling water treatment later.
Never missed a beat, not one missfire.
I used about 60gn of 3f and 1oz of 7.5 shot.
Think I missed 10 or 12 which is good for me!
Had I used a breechloader I could of doubled it but where would the fun in that be...!
The most fun a man can have without removing his trousers!View attachment 340329

Edit to add, no swabbing and definitely no so called cushion wad thingies. Just two thin cards and home made lube. And a thin card on top of the shot.
Great Job!! That's some fine shooting, as usual.
My mentor has a Beretta OU he hunts dove with. He has a system of cleaning it, but his runs fine.
Seems yours does as well. I recall when you had issues with that bottom barrel. Glad you fixed it.
Next time, bring an extra can!! 😆

And I was just gonna ask you to post pics on your best day birding.

Pigeon are excellent fare, mom used to cook them several ways, in dumplings were my favorite. Dad and friends would bring home a truck load, or so it seemed to a 10yo assigned to plucking detail.
when I lived in NYC pigeons were called flying rats. if you want to shoot them be my guest. do what you want

when I lived in NYC pigeons were called flying rats. if you want to shoot them be my guest. do what you want
We are talking apples and oranges. The city dwelling feral pigeon has a much in common with the wild Rock Dove as a cockroach and a squirrel.
One eats garbage, lives in crowded cities and isn't exactly prime table fare.
The other lives almost exclusively on grain and nuts, lives in the woods and cliffs, and definitely are tasty. Ask @Britsmoothy how they taste? He's had them much more recently then i.

We are talking apples and oranges. The city dwelling feral pigeon has a much in common with the wild Rock Dove as a cockroach and a squirrel.
One eats garbage, lives in crowded cities and isn't exactly prime table fare.
The other lives almost exclusively on grain and nuts, lives in the woods and cliffs, and definitely are tasty. Ask @Britsmoothy how they taste? He's had them much more recently then i.
pigs eat garbage also lol

They have a strong flavour, similar to liver.
Young are sweeter.
I make a small meatloaf with them and add herbs.
It's nice sliced on bread or served as a dinner with vegetables and a gravy.

Tastes way better than them clay ones.

Wild wood pigeon are a clean living bird and eat a clean diet. They breed like crazy here too. My garden is full of nesting wood pigeon. First youngster I saw this year was in January! And it fledged!!

I also shoot feral pigeons on farms, they stay where they fall!

I did take a rod but it's end was to small and a ran the risk of turning a thin card on its side so I abandoned it and used the guns.
Thank you.
I was at the range the other day with my 8 bore and noticed that if I put a slit in edge of my thin card to try and let the air out, it seemed much less likely to turn.

....thus ended an epic (for me) pigeon shoot with a muzzleloader.
42 and everything is black, the gun, my clothes and my hands.
View attachment 340330
The barrels are now full of lead so it gets the boiling water treatment later.
Never missed a beat, not one missfire.
I used about 60gn of 3f and 1oz of 7.5 shot.
Think I missed 10 or 12 which is good for me!
Had I used a breechloader I could of doubled it but where would the fun in that be...!
The most fun a man can have without removing his trousers!View attachment 340329

Edit to add, no swabbing and definitely no so called cushion wad thingies. Just two thin cards and home made lube. And a thin card on top of the shot.
Looks fun ! Been trying to find a place to do the same here with the feral pigeons,only place i could find is literally in town and there's no way I'm letting loose with ANY sort of firearm there !

Back