• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The roes are joking to me!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany,

hunting at the bait at roedeers in autumn and winter is very common here in Germany. So I started baiting with pressed apples and corn at the end of september. After a few days the baiting places were already eaten regulary. So I guessed the deers would come in the evening. but always I wasoutside I saw nothing. So I tried it in the morning-nothing. After a morning session I baited again and went home. When I came back in the evening for the next session I checked the bait and recognized that all was eaten. That happend twice. So I now guess they will come in before noon and I will have another try tomorrow.

Regards

Kirrmeister

They seem to be tricky little devils Kirrmeister. :haha: Seems you need a mechanical feeder to throw corn at a specific time. Once our Whitetail deer get used to a feeder throwing corn at a specific time they usually show up within a few minutes of the feeder going off. Sometimes they stand around the edge of a clearing waiting for the buffet.

Last year when I was in another area I had a similar expirience. I was baiting, but no roe came, because I always baited the day before until I recognized that they must have come straight when I was gone. So I started to bait and then go to my ground blind. And really within 1 hour I was able to get a roe. This happended 4 times, the shortest time I had to wait were 10 minutes. All roes were shot with .50 Deerhunter. Perhaps it is the same at this place only during the day.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Last year when I was in another area I had a similar expirience. I was baiting, but no roe came, because I always baited the day before until I recognized that they must have come straight when I was gone. So I started to bait and then go to my ground blind. And really within 1 hour I was able to get a roe. This happended 4 times, the shortest time I had to wait were 10 minutes. All roes were shot with .50 Deerhunter. Perhaps it is the same at this place only during the day.

Regards

Kirrmeister

:haha: That's hilarious. Maybe you should carry a bell with you, and ring it when you put the bait down just to be sure they know dinner is ready.

I had something similar to a bell. The bucket in which I carried was made of plastic and closed with a kind of tupper top, when you know what I mean. When I was opening it, it gave a real loud sound. That was perhaps the signal for the roes that dinner is ready. I guess they were always lying nearby in the thicket.I had never seen this before. Kind of Pawlow's dogs.

Regards

Kirrmeister

It could have something to do with the moon and feeding times.I started watching the location of the moon {overhead/underfoot} several years back. I found it had alot to do with the number of animals I was seeing. :thumbsup:I was taught this when I was a kid, hunting squirrels with my Dad.He never told me why sometime we would hunt early in the morning then the next week we wouldn't go till later in the day.As I got older I figured it out it was the position of the moon.

I pretty sure a Roe is of the Deer family but I don't think I've ever seen one. Do you have a picture? Thanks Ron

Hi Rogue River,

google it or the german word "Rehwild".They are much smaller as Whitetails.

Regards

Kirrmeister

There is a great variety in the size of whitetails. It is one of the laws of nature that individuals of a given species will be larger in the north than will others of the same species that live in the south. The theory being that a larger body size, as found in the north, helps keep the body warm in the colder enviroment.
Whitetails in Canada and in the northern United States are generally much larger than whitetails in the southern United States. A whitetail in Maine or Michigan could go 300 pounds on the hoof, but a Georgia or Florida whitetail will be big at 150 pounds.

Baiting is a controversial subject in some places in the US. Some states allow it, while others completely ban it.
I used to live in Michigan where baiting is legal. There used to be no restrictions on it, and I knew one guy who literally dumped a ton of sugar beets, corn, and carrots in the woods each autumn. Such a thing was rather common, but then the law changed. Now, I think, a 5 gallon bucket of deer bait is all that can be used there.
Here in Tennessee, no baiting of any kind is permitted. However, you can hunt over a harvested field.
There is a lot of debate in some circles over whether or not baiting is ethical. I remain neutral on the subject.

It is true that baiting is controversal, but here in the bavarian mountains where we have no acrefields at all, but only green land it is the only chance to be successful and fullfill the given quote. I have also hunted in areas of northern bavaria where you have many fields with winter crops on it which are eaten by the roes. There you don't have to bait at all.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Wow!

I knew that Roe Deer were small, but never knew how small. I did a Google search and found that a big buck weighs around 65 pounds.

That gives a new meaning to, "aim small, miss small"!

Like many things in science, the body size trend you've identified has many holes in it. While a larger body size should have less heat loss in a cold climate, that same body requires more food to keep it warm--a double-edged sword to so speak.

see the following: Bergmann's Rule

Hello to all who read this topic!

Meanwhile they don't joke me anymore. See my other topic. :grin:

Kirrmeister

Back