• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Rookie and the Old Salt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I go out in the hills there are a couple of extras with me, even when no one else is in sight. In my head there's always rookie and an old salt arguing and talking things over. Here's what I mean:

Went out today for snowshoe hare and the old salt took charge, guiding my feet on a careful stalk. Sure enough he took me to just the right spot, and I saw a hare raise it's head out of cover, then duck back down. I stopped and waited to see if he'd raise it again or get nervous and run.

The next moment that hare took off, and the old salt whistled and stopped it. But just as he was raisin the rifle, the rookie grabbed it, took a quick aim and squeezed the set trigger rather than the real deal. When it heard the click, the hare took off.

The old salt spent a while boxin the ears of the rookie, then guided my feet in a big circle to get in front of the hare while the rookie nursed his bruises.

Worked like a charm, and this time the old salt kept hold of the rifle and made a really tough shot while the rookie kept his pie hole shut.

Okay, fess up.

Who else rookies out now and then, pulling the set trigger rather than the other one when it's a quick shot or none at all?

What are you talking about? Never happens to me. :redface:

..well except for the two times this year when someone was watching. :rotf:

Back