• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Round Ball Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyMan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys I found this file online, and it will calculate your trajectory of your Roundballs loads.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yerezmzjmnd

Download and run it. Once your in the program type in the "?" so that you can figure out how to input your data... Enjoy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
a men, don't want no bug in mine, have enough problems like spelling, internet conn, now if he put the diagram up hear as a view page that might work.

From the amount of shooting I have done over the years i have a pretty good idea of the trajecytory of the various cals and guns I have had, starting with 1 1/2 times the cal in powder charge and working to get a tight group as powder is increased is more fun that running a balistic program.

Thanks for finding something that appeared to be of possible interest and going to the trouble of attempting to share it... :thumbsup:

How far does a rifle shooting a prb with an average hunting load shoot a flat trajectory at?

luie b said:
How far does a rifle shooting a prb with an average hunting load shoot a flat trajectory at?

Well, truth be known none of them shoot flat of course, but I'll share an interesting finding through range shooting I've done with deer loads in .45/.50/.54/.58 calibers.

Using 90grns Goex 3F (or 100grns Goex 2F), Oxyoke overpowder wad, .018" pillow ticking, and Hornady .440"/.490"/.530"/.570" balls zeroed at 50 yards, they all clustered in a group about 4" below the bullseye at 100 yards...regardless of caliber.

I suspect there would be more / different separation as distance increased past that beyond 100yds, with the lighter balls probably beginning to give up the ghost earlier than the heavier ones, but haven't tried it past 100yds

Download and run and unknown application?

No thanks.
These were my thoughts exactly! I figured that I'd just hang back awhile and see if anyone reported any problems before I give it a try.

So how 'bout it? Anyone having any problems since downloading this application?

These were my thoughts exactly! I figured that I'd just hang back awhile and see if anyone reported any problems before I give it a try.

So how 'bout it? Anyone having any problems since downloading this application?

If you are runnig good spyware and virus detection software and updating it daily, you should have no problem. If you aren't running those then you already have problems and just don't know it yet! :(

marmotslayer said:
If you are runnig good spyware and virus detection software and updating it daily, you should have no problem. If you aren't running those then you already have problems and just don't know it yet! :(

Amen...

My theory has always been to shoot close enough that I didn't need to worry with drop. More barrel and powder for longer range. Kinda like why I never tried to shoot pistol at distant critters like I was Elmer Keith...'cause I aint.
43" long barreled fifty shoots round ball to a hundred yards so flat that I just never bothered to figure it out. Maybe I should; the 60-70 yard rise might surprise me.

Ok people I figure that I should have been a little bit more clearer on who to use this program.

This program is for those who want to take their muzzleloader up to a mathematical level.

So if you have been shooting muzzleloader for years and don't want to relearn any math, as well you feel like you know everything about shooting your rifles and pistols; Basically saying that this program will not help you learn anything, then this is not the program for you.

For all of you people who have downloaded this file and can't open it, and it come up as an unknown app, then download a WIN ZIP Or some type of zipping archive program. I use .RAR Link for handling all of my Archive formats. There are no Viruses or such like harmful systems.

You can use this Ball calculator in two different ways.

One: Go out to the shooting rang, with a grid map base target, mount your gun on a table(if your wish to get rid of the human element), and fire your gun at different ranges. Most importantly, keep a log of your grouping at these different ranges. Fire up the Ball Calculator program and see if the data on the screen matches or is very close to what you have experience. You might need a lot of different tools and equipment to record your findings. Google it...

With the comparison you can make your adjustments to your sights or the way your gun is handle in order to improve performance.. Or to find out how wrong the program is if you go there... IDK..

Two: You can just use the program as a base line before you go out to the rang. Make the adjustments to your sights that matches what kind of data your program is outputting on the screen.

Either way how you use this program. The point here is that with every gun made on this planet, you can always go hard core, and pull out the good old math book, to find better solution for a gun that already seems to be working just fine, and somewhat accurate.

Like I said. If your highly experience, and the lack of wanting to go this far in perfecting the details, tells you that this is a waste of time, then it just might be a waste of time for you.

However, if your very sharp person(no matter what's your level of shooting experiences is) You can apply math to this sport.

ENjoy :blah:

luie b said:

First you must define "flat". I consider "flat" for deer to be a max rise or fall from LOS of 3" or a little less.
A 50-54 with 90-100 grains of FFF powder sighted for 120 yards will stay on a deer with a center hold to 130 or a little more. This means they are point blank to 130 yards. Past this requires careful shooting and a *very* good idea of the range. This is why its not a good idea to sight big game hunting rifles at 50 or 75 yards, by 100 they are falling too far.

Many original plains rifles were sighted for 130-150 yards.
Loads lighter than about 1/2 ball weight of fff this will shorten the point blank range of the 50-54. Larger bores can use FF in many cases and can use less powder since the heavier ball makes them more efficient it seems.
Once the ball size exceeds 69 or so the ball becomes so heavy that recoil becomes a major factor in a 9-10 pound rifle even if stocked as an English sporting gun. My 16 bore (.662 ball) shoots flat to 130 or so for deer with a 140 gr of FF Swiss. This is about 1/3 ball weight.
But it is harder to shoot well than a 54.

Dan

It would be most interesting to see which diameter gave the most useful flat punch to the greatest range in the most comfortable and utilitarian rifle geometry. I've always thought that my fifty chunk was the ultimate for a flat shooting spherical projectile rifle with 100 grains of FFg. But, it's HEAVY.
Can't help but wonder if there might be an efficient sweet spot between 45 and 50 where the barrel weight with minimum wall dropped significantly and the receiving end performance was really just as good for the purpose. Reckon I better check out that program.

:surrender:

lol..... math ??? your kidding right ?

i hate math, i just work up a good load, and adjust sights ''if needed''.

math confuses me... lol !!!

Back