• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

There Is Meat Hanging In My Backyard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Aldridge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went out this morning after having no luck last Saturday.It was overcast with a few sprinkles. The leaves were saturated which made for quiet walking. It was legal to shoot at 7:11 but I couldn't see my sights until 7:45.I was still hunting ever so slowly, stopping at large trees and taking time to listen and look around. There were lots of active chipmunks and an occasional fox squirrel, I could hear some gray squirrels making a racket in the distance. When I was ready to leave my fourth tree, I did a full circle scan, a doe appeared out of nowhere. I had to wait until her head was behind a tree to bring my rifle up. I pulled the trigger back so I could cock the gun silently, released the trigger and made sure the hammer would stay cocked.
She was less than fifteen yards away so an audible click of the hammer would have sent her running. I set the trigger, aimed behind the deer's right shoulder, and touched off the shot. When the smoke cleared I saw her run about fifty yards and pile up. The .535 roundball boosted by 90 grains of 2FFg pierced the right lung and the lower lobe of the liver and exited behind the left ribcage. This also happens to be my 48th birthday, so this couldn't be a better present.
DSCN0524.jpg

Great Job! :thumbsup: Didn't get out this morning.I was moving my den into another room.Was thinking about an evening hunt but it started to pour!Got any pics?

Roarin' 54 said:
I went out this morning after having no luck last Saturday.It was overcast with a few sprinkles. The leaves were saturated which made for quiet walking. It was legal to shoot at 7:11 but I couldn't see my sights until 7:45.I was still hunting ever so slowly, stopping at large trees and taking time to listen and look around. There were lots of active chipmunks and an occasional fox squirrel, I could hear some gray squirrels making a racket in the distance. When I was ready to leave my fourth tree, I did a full circle scan, a doe appeared out of nowhere. I had to wait until her head was behind a tree to bring my rifle up. I pulled the trigger back so I could cock the gun silently, released the trigger and made sure the hammer would stay cocked.
She was less than fifteen yards away so an audible click of the hammer would have sent her running. I set the trigger, aimed behind the deer's right shoulder, and touched off the shot. When the smoke cleared I saw her run about fifty yards and pile up. The .535 roundball boosted by 90 grains of 2FFg pierced the right lung and the lower lobe of the liver and exited behind the left ribcage. This also happens to be my 48th birthday, so this couldn't be a better present.
DSCN0524.jpg

Well congrats on both! :thumbsup: Now fix that pic so we can see it!

What a way to celebrate a birthday! Congrats! :thumbsup: Sure beats new socks and underwear! :haha:

Nice shooting on both the doe and the pic.

Steve

:thumbsup: Good going, looks like a sister to the one I got. They will be good eating. Happy Birthday.

Meat in the freezer is always a good thing, congrats on the hunt and birthday and may you have many,many more. :thumbsup:

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil from Germany! :thumbsup:

What is this for a nice rifle you used for the harvest?

Regards

Kirrmeister

What an outstanding Birthday! congratulations Nice shot!..Really enjoy the T/C Flint Renegade in 54 cal.

Back